X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apollo
    started a topic The Video Game Thread

The Video Game Thread

Have any of you played Dark Souls? I had a little free time on the long weekend and so I tried it out. I quickly scanned a few reviews on my iphone, looking at the scores, and then checked out the box. It gave me that Elder's Scrolls kind of feeling, I bought it expecting something like Elder's Scrolls. I got it home, popped it in and started playing... It's not Elder's Scrolls. I died like ten times on the tutorial boss before I finally beat him. They start you off with a broken sword, a wooden shield that doesn't block all damage and send you on your merry way to your unknowing demise with nothing more than a few signs on the ground to help guide you. The sign I read before the tutorial boss told me Happiness was ahead. Yeah, it sure was, if you consider happiness getting slaughtered countless times in a early fight that's more difficult than most game's final bosses. Anyway, I'm hooked. I've died about 20 times in the two hours I've played the game but I can't quit. I know why this game is so popular. Pride. Your pride is literally crushed in the first half hour of the game and it is your quest to gather the fragments so that you no longer feel like a 80 year old man using a PC for the first time. People continue to play this game because they refuse to admit they weren't "man enough" to get through it.

• Miekenstien
    replied
    Joey wrote: View Post

I only played Far Cry 3, and it had minor Survival elements, but wouldn't call it a Survival Game. That seems to be the direction for alot of franchises though. The next Ghost Recon after Wildlands (Greeat game by the way) is going to adopt Survival elements as well, and I'll probably play it.
    I'm not far in, playing permadeath, and cheetahs keep breaking my neck. I am liking it better than no man's sky, but the two are very similar except space, and 10000 bc.

​​​​

Leave a comment:

• Joey
    replied
    Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    Picked up far cry primal at a pawn shop, and I am really liking it. First far cry game, are they all survival games?
    I only played Far Cry 3, and it had minor Survival elements, but wouldn't call it a Survival Game. That seems to be the direction for alot of franchises though. The next Ghost Recon after Wildlands (Greeat game by the way) is going to adopt Survival elements as well, and I'll probably play it.

Leave a comment:

• Miekenstien
    replied
    Picked up far cry primal at a pawn shop, and I am really liking it. First far cry game, are they all survival games?

Leave a comment:

• rocwell
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post

They need to port Ocarina of Time to the Switch. That would be awesome. Haven't played that game since I had an N64.. about 20 years ago now.
    It was great on 3DS in full 3D.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    Apollo wrote: View Post

Ocarina of Time is my favorite but BOTW is great and epic in size.
    They need to port Ocarina of Time to the Switch. That would be awesome. Haven't played that game since I had an N64.. about 20 years ago now.

Leave a comment:

• Machine
    replied
    So MS has now introduced the Gamepass Ultimate which gives you xbox live gold along with gamepass for console AND PC.

They are also allowing you to convert whatever membership you currently have to an ultimate pass for $1 for up to 3 years. So I decided to add another year of live gold for free using microsoft reward points and then paid for another year at $69. I then converted that membership to Gamepass Ultimate for $1.

I now have xbox live gold and game pass for console and PC until 2022 and all it cost me was $70. That is basically free gaming with brand new AAA games for the next 3 years. That is insane. There is no competition for that kind of value on console or PC. MS announced with their new studios they plan to release a new game every 3 months starting next year. Plus tons of 3rd party devs continue to support gamepass with AAA games. So worth it.

Leave a comment:

• Machine
    replied
    Axel wrote: View Post

Also PS store has the entire EA 2019 sports bundle on for $38 - that's Fifa, Madden, NBA Live and NHL 19.
    All of those are free in EA Access right now I believe.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    Axel wrote: View Post

Also PS store has the entire EA 2019 sports bundle on for $38 - that's Fifa, Madden, NBA Live and NHL 19.
    Seem like a nice deal although I'm mostly a basketball and football gamer. I'd love to have Madden on a handheld.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    Joey wrote: View Post
    Speaking of Zelda, remake of Links Awakening almost excites me more!

Just means they'll eventually get to redoing Link to the Past, which has always been the epitome of the "Zelda experience" for me. Granted haven't played Breath of the Wild yet. On my to-do.
    Ocarina of Time is my favorite but BOTW is great and epic in size.

Leave a comment:

• Axel
    replied
    Apollo wrote: View Post
    FYI

NBA 2K19 I'd on sale for $4 in the Nintendo eshop.

Leave a comment:

• Joey
    replied
    Speaking of Zelda, remake of Links Awakening almost excites me more!

Just means they'll eventually get to redoing Link to the Past, which has always been the epitome of the "Zelda experience" for me. Granted haven't played Breath of the Wild yet. On my to-do.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    FYI

NBA 2K19 I'd on sale for $4 in the Nintendo eshop.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    Hopefully they've done away with those glass like durability weapons. Its a little annoying before getting the master sword.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X