Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much public economic policy is based on distorted research?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much public economic policy is based on distorted research?

Scary stuff and certainly explains the last 8 years of economic outcomes based on 'public' policy:

Federal Reserve economists Andrew Chang and Phillip Li set about researching how many of the results published in top economics journals could be replicated — repeating the study and finding the same results.

They looked at 67 papers in 13 reputable academic journals.

The result is shocking: Without the help of the authors, only a third of the results could be independently replicated by the researchers. Even with their help, only about half, or 49%, could.

That leads the researchers to a pretty blunt conclusion: "Because we are able to replicate less than half of the papers in our sample even with help from the authors, we assert that economics research is usually not replicable."

http://www.businessinsider.com/feder...tudies-2015-10

Now as talk of negative interest rates are emerging, all in the quest to kickstart inflation, at what point do people wake up? Negative interest rates have been done in Europe and guess what? It failed and created more deflation as people have hoarded their money versus pay the bank to hold it.

Which means we know what to expect soon and has also been discussed....a cashless society.... all in the name of the war on terrorism and drugs, of course.

Perhaps they should pay me to take one of their mortgages then.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
      Perhaps they should pay me to take one of their mortgages then.
      I wouldn't want to have a negative mortgage with a depreciating house!

Comment

Modern economics is so flawed I think future generations will look back on the last fifty years like we were practising astrology.

The main problem imo is the assumption of rational actors. Very few humans/households act rationally, especially under duress. In short, people are nuts.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
          Modern economics is so flawed I think future generations will look back on the last fifty years like we were practising astrology.

The main problem imo is the assumption of rational actors. Very few humans/households act rationally, especially under duress. In short, people are nuts.
          ...alongwith subliminal marketing/advertising

Comment

Economics isn't flawed but agenda driven. It's actually really simple but outcomes have to be manipulated to fit policy. The results will be the next guys problem

Comment

The problem with the last 30+ years is they keep trying to cheat the business cycle.

Need to go through the bad times to be able to have the good times.

Comment

Astrology is actually more useful. LOL

Comment

Working...
                X