Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Good question.

I thought it was clear. I directed him to my response. There had been a couple of instances where he either twisted replies in to something that was not said or he ignored a post that answered another. There comes a point in time when you have someone always attempting to take out your legs you take a stand.

This was another example of him twisting an argument in to something that was not said. His interpretation was incorrect. Was my wording off? Possibly if you look at the context of one sentence. If you look at the context of the paragraph and post, then I would say no. The fact other posters understood exactly what I meant because they did not focus on one word in one sentence is kind of telling.

Your school yard gang-ups is an interesting analogy. But what happens if that school yard gang up is a result of the distracting/annoying/disrespectful kid finally being put in his place by the frustrated classmates who continually have to deal with his disturbances during class and teases/taunts/annoyances during recess, lunch, in the halls, and on the bus? If you are going to continually be an ass to others on the playground (or forums) don't be surprised when it comes right back at you. I know I am opinionated and arrogant in my views. The difference, in my opinion, is I'm not attempting to belittle anyone questioning their intelligence/knowledge or attempting to undermine them with statements beginning and ending in "dude" and "bro" - well, one exception.
    Good point. Perhaps I empathize with him a little because I can be a shit-disturbing contrarian myself, ha. He does get a little "in your face", but perhaps look past the occasional misplaced word and look more at the primary context of what he's saying

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
      Yes, I'm talking about how this tanking bullshit isn't right.
      I'm only really in favor of tanking under 2 circumstances.

1.) Your team just sucks anyway, and would have a bad finish regardless.
      2.) You are able to FLEECE other teams in trades for your star players. None of this stuff about dealing Gay for an expiring and a protected late lottery pick. If that's the best you can do then screw tanking. Those same pro-tankers would be blaming Ujiri a year later when our 2014 pick turns out to be a role player and Gay is putting up 20 a game on a title contender.

Comment

• How is saying "dude" or "bro" demeaning...

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
          Yes, I'm talking about how this tanking bullshit isn't right.
          I do agree that, for whatever reason, it doesn't seem right. I'm pro-tank, but I admit that it makes me a little queasy. Maybe that's the feeling of karma warning you in advance.

One of the best examples for tanking was the Cavs tanking for Lebron. The lineup they trotted out in 02-03 was terrible. Just terrible. And it worked. They got to draft their native son, their basketball saviour, their ticket to the promised land.

And then he left them, in the coldest, most agonizing, most embarrassing way possible.

Karma in effect?

Who knows. But just like we think that there's no way Wiggins would ever dare leave us, his home city, to go play somewhere else once we got him - well, that's exactly what Cleveland thought about Lebron.

So f**k it. I'm switching sides. Mid-post, I'm switching sides. Let's go 2013-2014 Raps! Let's go fight for that eighth seed!
          "Stop eating your sushi."
          "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
          "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
          - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• They aren't tanking. If they were, Ujiri would have started tearing down the roster during the summer trade frenzy. Makes no sense to wait until trade deadline unless you think every player on the roster is going to play themselves into a position of value.

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
              I do agree that, for whatever reason, it doesn't seem right. I'm pro-tank, but I admit that it makes me a little queasy. Maybe that's the feeling of karma warning you in advance.

One of the best examples for tanking was the Cavs tanking for Lebron. The lineup they trotted out in 02-03 was terrible. Just terrible. And it worked. They got to draft their native son, their basketball saviour, their ticket to the promised land.

And then he left them, in the coldest, most agonizing, most embarrassing way possible.

Karma in effect?

Who knows. But just like we think that there's no way Wiggins would ever dare leave us, his home city, to go play somewhere else once we got him - well, that's exactly what Cleveland thought about Lebron.

So f**k it. I'm switching sides. Mid-post, I'm switching sides. Let's go 2013-2014 Raps! Let's go fight for that eighth seed!
              +1
              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                They aren't tanking. If they were, Ujiri would have started tearing down the roster during the summer trade frenzy. Makes no sense to wait until trade deadline unless you think every player on the roster is going to play themselves into a position of value.
                Maybe no good offers. If the best the Raptors were offered was Stuckey+Villaneuva for Gay, then them choosing to wait means nothing.

Comment

Karma in effect?

I mean, we don't have to tank to make a good team. Star players are made available for trade pretty much every season it seems. With Jonas growing into a star himself, and Rudy and DeMar's Team USA Experience (World championships for Rudy and Summer Camp for DeMar), maybe Ujiri can bring some of those stars in via trade and those two can convince them to stay.

Comment

• Xixak wrote: View Post
                    I mean, we don't have to tank to make a good team. Star players are made available for trade pretty much every season it seems. With Jonas growing into a star himself, and Rudy and DeMar's Team USA Experience (World championships for Rudy and Summer Camp for DeMar), maybe Ujiri can bring some of those stars in via trade and those two can convince them to stay.
                    How are you going to trade for an all star without giving up JV, DD or Gay?

Comment

• Fully wrote: View Post
                      How are you going to trade for an all star without giving up JV, DD or Gay?
                      I think he means Val and Masai can convince them to stay.
                      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• The team is capped out, has almost 0 expendable assets to improve and a growing number of pundits STILL have them on the outside of the playoff picture in. I honestly can't wrap my head around why people want to keep trudging on with this roster.

Pointing to teams like Indiana, or Memphis, or whoever else as "proof" that we can turn this team into a contender is incredibly nonsensical. Completely different scenarios. Different mix of players making different amounts, different assets to improve, different cap space, different coaches, different seasons, etc.

Beyond that, from a macro view... why would Colangelo get run out of his job (and so publicly none the less) if Leiweke was planning on spending the next 3-4 years plowing along with the core that he put together? It doesn't make sense. And it shouldn't. BC put together a bad team, making a ton of money, and Ujiri was brought in to clean up the mess. Not to tinker around the fringes of it and swapping out players 8-12 on the roster.

I can't wait until they start tearing this thing down.

Comment

I think he means Val and Masai can convince them to stay.
                          I don't think that's what he means.

Comment

• Fully wrote: View Post
                            I don't think that's what he means.
                            Well, it has to mean that, or it doesn't make any sense.
                            - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Well, it has to mean that, or it doesn't make any sense.
                              Ding ding.

Comment

• And is it true that star players become available every year on the trade market?

Outside of the three recent players (Anthony, Howard & Paul) who forced their way to a specific location (which eliminates the Raptors as a landing spot)... How often do all NBA performers get traded? Pau Gasol is literally the only one I can think of from recent times. It certainly doesn't happen "every season".
                                Last edited by Fully; Wed Aug 14, 2013, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X