The Movie Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Movie Thread

I watched solo a couple days ago. The theatre was basically empty which was pretty depressing considering it was a Star Wars movie that has been out for less than a week on a Friday night.

The first 30 minutes were very very bad but after that the movie recovers quite well and manages to produce an emotionally engaging story. I could definitely tell that the movie had been directed in the edit by Ron Howard as there was far too much off screen expository dialogue at the beginning of each scene. This wasn’t more apparent in the first act of the film where Howard is trying to establish his reworked story line. The pacing is also affected by this reworking of the storyline, as Howard clearly replaces some of the emotional and character building moments that were originally written and directed by Lord and Miller with action sequences. With nothing to bridge these action sequences together the film struggles illuminating characterization until later on where Howard has used some of what Lord and Miller had originally designed. It’s a real shame that Disney fired Lord and Miller, because I see the potential for a very good movie in Solo, but the reworking of the story leaves it seem kind of flat, especially for the first act.

Alden Ehrenreich was very good as Han Solo in my opinion. Performances across the board were quite good, with Donald Glover’s Lando being inconsistent. He was excellent in some scenes and in others not so much.

The plot twists were also shocking and I’m still not sure how I feel about them... we’ll see where they go with it.

All in all it was an enjoyable experience considering I had very low expectations going in. It wasn’t as good as any of the other Star Wars films that have come out the last couple of years but still enjoyable. I’d give the movie 6.5 or 7 out of 10.

Comment

• Saw Deadpool 2 ... thought it was better than the first in every way. Fun ride.

Comment

• Can't wait to see this.

Comment

• My wife and I absolutely love Toni Collette. One of our favourite actresses. Definitely going to watch that when we can.

Comment

• Well there's a twist ... what's scarier than the Predator? A giant Predator! Lol

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post

Well there's a twist ... what's scarier than the Predator? A giant Predator! Lol
              I loved the Nice Guys so much, I really believe in Shane Black. I just feel like this movie should have been a small scale horror instead of a blockbuster action movie. We’ll see, maybe it’s just the studios and their poor marketing but it doesn’t look good.

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post
                I loved the Nice Guys so much, I really believe in Shane Black. I just feel like this movie should have been a small scale horror instead of a blockbuster action movie. We’ll see, maybe it’s just the studios and their poor marketing but it doesn’t look good.
                Bold: Such a great movie.

But ya, really not sure what they are going for here ... I'll still see it at some point, because Predator .. but ya ... who knows.

Comment

Bold: Such a great movie.

But ya, really not sure what they are going for here ... I'll still see it at some point, because Predator .. but ya ... who knows.
                  Just watched the trailer again ... taking a stab at it ...

Similar to that new Kong movie, or Godzilla, or even Jurassic World, they're going to take the initial monster, let's call him "Little Predator", and turn him into the Anti-Hero, and it's going to be him who takes down the big dude. Book it.
                  Last edited by Joey; Fri Jun 29, 2018, 03:46 PM.

Comment

• Finally got around to seeing the Last Jedi. Mediocre.

Comment

• Saw A Quiet Place last night. Jim Halpert is a really good director. One of the better movies I've seen in a long time.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                        Saw A Quiet Place last night. Jim Halpert is a really good director. One of the better movies I've seen in a long time.
                        It took far too long for me to remember/realize that that isn't in fact his real name. Lol Have heard too many good things about this movie, so will have to add it to the list.

Comment

• It's CRAZY how much he looks like Freddy Mercury ...

Calling it now, he get's nominated, and probably wins a Globe/Oscar.

Also, this looks fantastic.

Comment

• Looks like Fox will continue building off its recent success with unorthodox comicbook movies

Comment

• So ... I was wondering how they were going to go about this ... and I gotta say .. it looks ... pretty great actually!

I'm so in.

Also, anyone who has ridden the TTC will recognize those subways. Lol

Edit:
                              We also got an Aquaman Trailer!

Had no idea what to expect from this one either, and still not entirely sure .. looks like it'll be a wild ride though.
                              Last edited by Joey; Sun Jul 22, 2018, 04:28 PM.

Comment

It's CRAZY how much he looks like Freddy Mercury ...

Calling it now, he get's nominated, and probably wins a Globe/Oscar.

Also, this looks fantastic.
                                I have a hunch they used prosthetic teeth. The mustache obviously helps too.

Comment

Working...
                                X