No announcement yet.

The Movie Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alita has a few cheeseball moments, a few for the tweens, but overall it's a pretty badass cyborg-fighting extravaganza for the senses.

Comment

• Saw "Mary Queen of Scots" recently. Yes another one on this theme. Checked it out mostly because of Saiorse Ronan who I think is a wonderful talent and has a "look" which is quite soulful in all her movies (the camera likes her!).

Since I was already aware of the historical nature/story of the rivalry with Elizabeth what I thought stood out quite often was the stunning landscape vista of the filming.

Not earth shattering but quite good especially if you like old Brit historical sagas done well.

Comment

• Recently watched a great Canadian film called “The Trotsky”. I thought it was the best premise for a movie I had seen in a long time. The movie was almost everything I hoped it to be. Highly recommend it to anyone.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
          This looks fun:
          Those guys were absolute lunatics. I can't imagine a lot of the stories from the book will be in the movie cause they are too wild. though my favourite part is when they are on tour with Ozzy and they're going, wow, this guy is even too crazy for us....

Comment

• Saw Captain Marvel ... very "Meh". Didn't love it. Some good parts, but mostly not. It wasn't terrible though, but mostly just watched it to fill in the holes necessary for Endgame.

Comment

• I'm going to pass on that movie altogether. Most of the reviews I've seen all say its mediocre and more focused on pushing certain ideals than character development.

Comment

• I'm going to go see it twice just to piss off whiny MRA/incels.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                  I'm going to go see it twice just to piss off whiny MRA/incels.
                  What is an "MRA" and why do they care what movies you're watching? Do you have a reality TV show?

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                    Saw Captain Marvel ... very "Meh". Didn't love it. Some good parts, but mostly not. It wasn't terrible though, but mostly just watched it to fill in the holes necessary for Endgame.
                    We went on the weekend cause they had some issue with the movie we went to see, so ended up at Captain Marvel. I found it incredibly boring. Sam Jackson is really good. It's mercifully short. But there's not much else to it. The main character and story are bland. The bad guys are all pointless. I don't understand how this movie became some cultural battleground on the internet or whatever. It's just a below average superhero movie made by a bunch of suits in a boardroom to steal money from people. Why anyone would go out of their way to see or not see this movie is bizarre. I wouldn't recommend spending any money on this. If someone really feels the need to support a recent female superhero movie go get Wonder Woman....

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

We went on the weekend cause they had some issue with the movie we went to see, so ended up at Captain Marvel. I found it incredibly boring. Sam Jackson is really good. It's mercifully short. But there's not much else to it. The main character and story are bland. The bad guys are all pointless. I don't understand how this movie became some cultural battleground on the internet or whatever. It's just a below average superhero movie made by a bunch of suits in a boardroom to steal money from people. Why anyone would go out of their way to see or not see this movie is bizarre. I wouldn't recommend spending any money on this. If someone really feels the need to support a recent female superhero movie go get Wonder Woman....

Or how about some Beatrix Kiddo?

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post

What is an "MRA" and why do they care what movies you're watching? Do you have a reality TV show?
                        Men’s Rights Activists. Apparently they’ve mobilized one of their fun little online hate campaigns here.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post

Men’s Rights Activists. Apparently they’ve mobilized one of their fun little online hate campaigns here.
                          No, don't try the Ghostbusters and Star Wars crap. If they make a shitty movie they own it. They don't get to hide behind a few online trolls. Not everyone who dislikes this movie is a Nazi cause that would be basically anyone who saw it (if they aren't a knave or a fool). I also don't get calling a huge segment of the fan base that made them billions names cause that seems like a bad long term plan but it certainly seems to have worked for Ghostbusters so what do I know....

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

No, don't try the Ghostbusters and Star Wars crap. If they make a shitty movie they own it. They don't get to hide behind a few online trolls. Not everyone who dislikes this movie is a Nazi cause that would be basically anyone who saw it (if they aren't a knave or a fool). I also don't get calling a huge segment of the fan base that made them billions names cause that seems like a bad long term plan but it certainly seems to have worked for Ghostbusters so what do I know....
                            I don't give a shit about this movie (seeing it twice in the theatre was a joke, I barely get to the cinema for the best movies of the year), but the alt-right douchebros DO care about it. Why? I have no real idea.

Check out the discrepancy here: https://www.metacritic.com/movie/captain-marvel

Critics are luke warm on it (64/100), just like the normal posters above. The user rating is 3.5/10, there's clearly some anger there. Doesn't mean it couldn't have been a better movie, and it doesn't mean you're a nazi for not liking it (why would you think that), all it means is this angry little group has a target in their sights - well-established beyond this example. You saying "it's just a bad movie" doesn't make this weirdo phenomenon go away.

Of course the movie is doing just fine in spite of their "wrath".
                            Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Tue Mar 12, 2019, 12:02 PM.

Comment

• I'm not so sure that reviews have much influence on box office numbers though when it comes to big name movies. Captain Marvel is a prime example of this, its crushing it. Captain Marvel is an MCU movie, there's a lot of well deserved goodwill built up there. If this movie is a mediocre movie and/or if its different than the formula of other newer MCU movies, then its the next Captain Marvel where you'll see the true impact at the box office.

Comment

• Money talks.

Comment

Working...
                                X