No announcement yet.

The Movie Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw some discussion of Krasinsky in the TV thread. Did everyone see A Quiet Place? Excellent work.

Comment

• Well, here it is:

Comment

• Saw Aquaman. It's a glorious, wild, cheesy trip and I loved it. Mera is awesome. Jason Momoa is perfect. Black Manta is suuuper dope. Way too much good to list it all. Best DC movie yet.

Comment

• Roma is excellent. A must-watch for any cinephile.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
            Saw Aquaman. It's a glorious, wild, cheesy trip and I loved it. Mera is awesome. Jason Momoa is perfect. Black Manta is suuuper dope. Way too much good to list it all. Best DC movie yet.
            Good to hear... they've been pretty trash since DKR.

Comment

• Watched Creed 2 last weekend just to get a night out with the old lady... very predictable the whole way through, I figured out what was gonna happen about 10 mins in... I didn't see a trailer before hand. I think I would have preferred watching Mortal Engines but she doesn't watch Sci-Fi or Fantasy movies.

Comment

• Oh and i finally saw Venom a few weeks back... i didn't care for it until about the last half hour. I look forward to the 2nd movie.

Comment

• Mack North wrote: View Post
                  Good to hear... they've been pretty trash since DKR.
                  Yup, Nolan raised the bar for me too. Been disappointed by everything since.

Comment

• Finally saw avengers. Liked it, better than the last few. Hated the new axe, looks like a wow weapon. Was hoping to see death, but it seems thanos only loves gamora now. Really liked it. Some of the deaths took big balls for marvel, and i hope they don't time gem it all back to the way it was.
                    Last edited by Miekenstien; Sun Dec 30, 2018, 08:50 AM.

Comment

• I saw the favourite and bumblebee in the last 3 days. The favourite was amazing and bumblebee was awful.

Comment

• I’m gonna do a top 5 again this year. I’ll probably post it tomorrow.

Comment

• So here is my top 5 movies of the year. For me, there’s a clear favourite (pun intended) here that set itself apart from the rest. After my number one, it was quite difficult to order these and there were a fair amount that could have made my list.

1. The Favourite

Yorgos Lanthimos has established himself as one of the best working directors today. The Lobster and The Killing of A Sacred deer were both quirky and hilariously disturbing films that are so idiosyncratic that they really are a joy to watch (when you aren’t cringing from some of the disturbing things that happen). The Favourite, in my opinion, is better than both. The cinematography is incredible, the colour and framing are beautiful and Lanthimos and the DP have used several wide angle fisheye lenses to great effect. Great performances all around, definitely some oscar worthy ones at that from Collman and Stone, as well as some good under the radar performances from Nicholas Hoult among others. I was laughing very hard throughout this movie and I couldn’t recommend it enough. 9.5/10.

2. Isle Of Dogs

Wes Anderson at his best. Is he better at animation than live action? I wouldn’t say that’s the case, as films like rushmore and the grand budapest hotel are some of my favourites but nevertheless he knows what he’s doing when it comes to animation and I believe it fits his sensibilities very well. Really fun movie. 8.5/10. Solid screenplay, beautiful animation, heartwarming story.

3. Mission Impossible
                          The best action movie I’ve seen in a very very long time. Tom Cruise rocks, and his commitment to doing crazy stunts is admirable. The Halo Jump in particular was incredible. Pacing was great here, and the only real drawbacks are the slightly convoluted plot and a couple of scenes that were just too cheesy. 8.5/10.

4. Annihilation.

Alex Garland really knows what he’s doing with Sci-Fi. Performances ranged here, but portman, Jennifer Jason Leigh, and oscar isaac were quite good. Screenplay was a little weak too, but the surrealism here was awesome and there were a couple scenes that were truly terrifying (the bear was one of the scariest creatures in any movie I’ve ever seen. So well executed.) 8/10

5. Searching.

Searching was a movie I had low expectations for going into it. I thought the whole movie being on a computer screen would be a gimmick that would hold back the story. I was completely wrong. Searching uses its storytelling medium brilliantly to tell a story that was actually quite compelling and proved to be anything but a gimmick. John Cho was great in this movie and I hope to see him as the leading man more often after this. The ending was actually a major letdown but that doesn’t change the fact that the ride was well worth it. 8/10.

Honorable mentions

Roma - was very well made, and the second half was gripping, but man is this movie slow. Too slow. I’m supposed to be entertained by movies.

A quiet Place - the first time i watched this movie it was gripping and it had me on the edge of my seat. Second time had me bored. Good first movie for Jim.

Blackkklansman - Entertaining, funny, good looking movie. I don’t like movies that force politics though, so I’m not the biggest fan of Spike Lee.

The Death of Stalin - This movie was hilarious. Weird but hilarious. If you’re a history buff you’ll love it.

Solo - I love star wars and I’m sure most of you know that by now. This movie didn’t deserve the flak it got. Alden Ehrenreich was a perfect Han and it was an interesting story with great arcs for all the characters. Lawrence Kasdan is a genius writer.

Disappointing

Hereditary - People loved it and I found it… uncompelling. I don’t know, I can appreciate that this movie was well made and is better than your average movie, but it fell flat for me.

Bubmlebee - why does this movie have such a high rating on rotten tomatoes? I thought it was just terrible. Just a bunch of boring cliches.

Ready player one - this movie sucked.

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post

Ready player one - this movie sucked.
                            i didn't get to see a lot of movies this year, and this one is one i knew i shouldn't try for. it looked like the laziest call back movie ever. just a ton of money thrown at it for memberberries

Comment

• I liked Ready Player One.. lots of 80's nostalgia in that one. And doesn't Bumblebee take place in the 80's too? I read somewhere that they brought in the classic Transformers that I played with growing up. So looking forward to that one too.

Comment

• This was SO good. I went in not knowing what to expect and ended up with my mind nicely blown.

Comment

Working...
                                X