No announcement yet.

The Movie Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I saw Han Solo last night. I'd give it a B. Some good moments, some cringe-worthy moments, and an ending that left an opening for a subsequent movie.

Comment

• This review is exactly what I was scared of feeling after Solo:

It’s not every day that I feel sorry for an actor, especially one who’s lucky enough to have landed the lead role in a “Star Wars” film. But I honestly began to feel a little bad for Alden Ehrenreich in “Solo: A Star Wars Story.” It was during the scene where, acting opposite Emilia Clarke (who looks like she could eat him alive, and would happily do so as foreplay), he attempts to signify the Awesome Casual Cockiness Of His Inner Being by slouching against a wall, hands on hips, his fingers spread out just so, in a John Wayne-meets-Clark Gable sort of swashbuckling cowboy-stud pose. At that moment, Ehrenreich doesn’t seem remotely like a young version of Harrison Ford’s lone-wolf space pilot; he seems like a sculpture of it. You don’t see the acting — you see the coaching. (“Let it hang out a bit more, Alden. That’s right, spread those fingers. Just keep thinking, I’m the man!”)

I felt bad for Ehrenreich because it’s not his fault that some executive board meeting signed off on the looks-good-on-paper decision to cast him as a junior version of the ballsiest renegade of the blockbuster epoch. Harrison Ford has always been a superb actor — better, in many ways, than he gets credit for. Just watch him in “Raiders of the Lost Ark,” where he never lets Indiana Jones jostle along on a free ride of attitude. Yes, he’s having a blast, but Ford also has that dark-and-stormy undercurrent, which anchors the cliffhanger preposterousness, grounding it in a moment-to-moment reality — his reality. As an actor, Ford is fierce, strong, funny, and sexy, but through it all he’s got gravitas. Whereas Alden Ehrenreich is preppie-handsome but scowling-eyed in a likable weightless way. He belongs in a corporate office — not at war, or racing through the stars. In “Solo,” he looks like he might blow away if his upstart hair weren’t so perfectly plastered down.

It’s a sign of where America is now at as a culture that we’ve gone from Han Solo to watching an actor as frictionless and badass-free as Alden Ehrenreich pretending to be Han Solo…and finding that perfectly acceptable! Why not?
      https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...170531199.html
      Will probably wait until it comes out on Blu Ray to see it. But ya, I have no faith that my mind will accept this guy as Han Solo.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
        This review is exactly what I was scared of feeling after Solo:

Will probably wait until it comes out on Blu Ray to see it. But ya, I have no faith that my mind will accept this guy as Han Solo.
        Han Solo is the most untouchable character in Star Wars and while it was a logical back story to explore, I wish they had simple left it alone.
        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
          Han Solo is the most untouchable character in Star Wars and while it was a logical back story to explore, I wish they had simple left it alone.
          Tell that to Kylo. Haha

But ya for sure ... or at least found someone better, and not released something until you did ... I knew from the first trailer that he didn't fit the part.

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
            Tell that to Kylo. Haha

But ya for sure ... or at least found someone better, and not released something until you did ... I knew from the first trailer that he didn't fit the part.
            I don't think we could have another young luke. Even old luke doesn't live up to return of the jedi luke. I thought kylo was a good original character that got better in last jedi, which i thought was terrible, because we saw how he was just a scared boy, who got angry at his master and then was manipulated by an arsehole.

Making a young han when we have seen a superb young han, and an old aged han is/was pointless. Should have been a smuggler that "knew" han or had a connection where personality similarties were seen by the audience as something along the lines of mentorship to han. Han was perfect already and redoing him will never do him justice.

Comment

• I actually really like Kylo as a character. He's completely unique to the Star Wars universe, where he's genuinely conflicted, but also extremely emotional and impulsive, two things we haven't really gotten from a character before in that Universe. I really have no idea where they are going with him and I love that. Also Adam Driver is a phenomenal actor.

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                I don't think we could have another young luke. Even old luke doesn't live up to return of the jedi luke. I thought kylo was a good original character that got better in last jedi, which i thought was terrible, because we saw how he was just a scared boy, who got angry at his master and then was manipulated by an arsehole.

Making a young han when we have seen a superb young han, and an old aged han is/was pointless. Should have been a smuggler that "knew" han or had a connection where personality similarties were seen by the audience as something along the lines of mentorship to han. Han was perfect already and redoing him will never do him justice.
                Basically, they should have made a Lando Calrissian movie. Young Han would cross paths but essentially just a good smuggler movie.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Basically, they should have made a Lando Calrissian movie. Young Han would cross paths but essentially just a good smuggler movie.
                  Been hearing good things about Donald Glovers Lando. Great idea. Wouldn't be surprised if they do that after this.

Comment

I actually really like Kylo as a character. He's completely unique to the Star Wars universe, where he's genuinely conflicted, but also extremely emotional and impulsive, two things we haven't really gotten from a character before in that Universe. I really have no idea where they are going with him and I love that. Also Adam Driver is a phenomenal actor.
                    Problem with him is that he is pretty weak as the main villain and he is pretty much the only villain with screen time. They should have let his character straddle that conflict more in the story with a real big bad being more prevalent.

Comment

Problem with him is that he is pretty weak as the main villain and he is pretty much the only villain with screen time. They should have let his character straddle that conflict more in the story with a real big bad being more prevalent.
                      I'd say the "main villain" is still "The Dark Side". Shit is bad yo. And I don't think we've seen Kylos true strength yet ... I mean, he's done some pretty incredible things if you think about it .. stopping the blaster beam was one of the coolest things ever; using the force to speak with Rey from across the galaxy (granted that takes Rey being super powerful as well, which of course she is, which is why I'm not at all convinced she's a 'nobody'); killing Snoke was huge as well. I think Kylo has some solid potential.

Comment

I'd say the "main villain" is still "The Dark Side". Shit is bad yo. And I don't think we've seen Kylos true strength yet ... I mean, he's done some pretty incredible things if you think about it .. stopping the blaster beam was one of the coolest things ever; using the force to speak with Rey from across the galaxy (granted that takes Rey being super powerful as well, which of course she is, which is why I'm not at all convinced she's a 'nobody'); killing Snoke was huge as well. I think Kylo has some solid potential.
                        Unfortunately the dark side can’t act, so it doesn’t really work as the main on screen antagonist.

Snoke was even worse. Pretty pathetic bad guy and really unmemorable in the grand scheme of things. Kylo killing him was good but the build up was weak.

Kylo’s strength with the force is all well and good but that alone doesn’t make him a good bad guy. If Snoke had really been able to be that main bad guy, then Kylo would have been fine as is. But with Snoke being a dud, Kylo wasn’t enough. He would have been better served backing his story up a few years where he is much more on the fence of light/dark after first leaving Luke.

Comment

Killing snoke big spoiler there. Lol. I think kylo isn't a villian. That was shown true in last jedi. His turn to the dark side is all a misunderstanding, and a result of lukes draw to the dark side. He is just an angry kid who happens to have near limitless power.

Comment

Unfortunately the dark side can’t act, so it doesn’t really work as the main on screen antagonist.

Snoke was even worse. Pretty pathetic bad guy and really unmemorable in the grand scheme of things. Kylo killing him was good but the build up was weak.

Kylo’s strength with the force is all well and good but that alone doesn’t make him a good bad guy. If Snoke had really been able to be that main bad guy, then Kylo would have been fine as is. But with Snoke being a dud, Kylo wasn’t enough. He would have been better served backing his story up a few years where he is much more on the fence of light/dark after first leaving Luke.
                            It's like being the Franchise player in the NBA... Next season Kylo will be forced to take on that #1a, "The Man" role, and I think he'll do well. I mean, the potential is definitely there, even if we haven't really seen it yet. It's also now not like where with Vader you still had the Emperor behind him - Kylo, the crazy impulsive, who knows what the fuck he will do, Force wielding bad guy with no one to hold him back or guide his impulses .. I mean that could be a scary thing.

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                              Killing snoke big spoiler there. Lol. I think kylo isn't a villian. That was shown true in last jedi. His turn to the dark side is all a misunderstanding, and a result of lukes draw to the dark side. He is just an angry kid who happens to have near limitless power.
                              But now no 'Mentor' to limit/guide those powers. Who knows what crazy shit he will come up with.

Comment

• The Movie Thread

Joey wrote: View Post
                                It's like being the Franchise player in the NBA... Next season Kylo will be forced to take on that #1a, "The Man" role, and I think he'll do well. I mean, the potential is definitely there, even if we haven't really seen it yet. It's also now not like where with Vader you still had the Emperor behind him - Kylo, the crazy impulsive, who knows what the fuck he will do, Force wielding bad guy with no one to hold him back or guide his impulses .. I mean that could be a scary thing.
                                Yeah and I like that idea for him. As his impulses get wilder and we see him really descend over the edge of madness, that will make a great villain. But Snoke as a bargain bin Emperor was just bad and hurt the movies. Honestly, remove Snoke from the last two movies and re-imagine all of his scenes as Vader’s helmet urging Kylo towards the dark side would have made a better movie. Would have made the “dark side” as the real villain and Adam Driver would be able to really show the unstable nature of Kylo and the powerful draw of the dark side of the force.

Comment

Working...
                                X