No announcement yet.

The Movie Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hollywood stopped being creative a decade or so ago. Can't wait for the remakes of ET, Jaws, and Titanic.

Comment

• So I finally got around to watching Infinity War....

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
        Hollywood stopped being creative a decade or so ago. Can't wait for the remakes of ET, Jaws, and Titanic.
        Yeah, I don't see that side of it ending anytime soon.

We're well-past peak hollywood faux art-house. (2000s were so good with Kaufman, Tarantino, P. Anderson & and W. Anderson, the Coen Bros, and all the rest getting big budgets). I blame Asians' love of giant monsters, not that there's anything wrong with that.

But you can't keep a good art form down. You just have to dig a little deeper.

And thank goodness The Revenant didn't tank. That would not have helped. Tarantino keeps doing his thing and PT Anderson doesn't need that big a budget and Wes Andeson keeps on doing his thing.

Finally, if you didn't see it...

So, things really aren't that bad in Hollywood...t's just that the good stuff gets dwarfed and underfinanced and underwatched (damn you golden age of television). And if you want to go true 'indie' that's waiting for you too:

https://www.theringer.com/movies/201...e-21st-century

(I've only seen 8/30, anyone better?)
        Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Sat Oct 20, 2018, 12:20 AM.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
          So I finally got around to watching Infinity War....

What's wrong with an homage to one of the classics?

Comment

• Did none of you watch Venom? It was actually pretty good, the critic reviews are bogus. Tom Hardy was amazing as Eddie Brock

Comment

• Saw Halloween last night. I didn’t think it was very good. Maybe a 6/10. Some good kills.

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                Did none of you watch Venom? It was actually pretty good, the critic reviews are bogus. Tom Hardy was amazing as Eddie Brock
                I like TH. I haven't but I did watch an older Hardy movie (Locke) last week. Quite the production... dont want to give it away but the entire movie was shot pretty much inside a car. Scripting and acting.

Comment

• RIP Stan Lee

Comment

• Oh god, the nostalgia ...

Comment

• The Movie Thread

Finally got around to watching “Okja” on Netflix. Made by Bong Joon-ho, the guy who made snowpiercer (which is incredibly by the way). It was a beautiful film. Performances were great all around, and I particularly liked Jake Gyllenhaal, he was hilarious. Highly recommended!

Comment

• Watched Hereditary ... still not entirely sure about it ... one of those movies you need to watch twice ... some amazing performances, and really well made though ... I'm just not sure whether I'm satisfied with the ending ... Lol

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post
                          Finally got around to watching “Okja” on Netflix. Made by Bong Joon-ho, the guy who made snowpiercer (which is incredibly by the way). It was a beautiful film. Performances were great all around, and I particularly liked Jake Gyllenhaal, he was hilarious. Highly recommended!
                          Was really unsure about this one, but I'll give it a watch.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                            Oh god, the nostalgia ...
                            the only thing i am looking forward to from this movie is the crows. i want to see what they do with the crows.

i understand the remaking of movies, but i don't like it. some of these were done so well, and that is why they lived for near 100 years.

next year steam boat willie is being remade and mickey goes ape shit and murders everyone on the ship and yells "toot toot mutherfuckers" just before the fin sign comes up. should be new and edgy for the modern world.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                              Watched Hereditary ... still not entirely sure about it ... one of those movies you need to watch twice ... some amazing performances, and really well made though ... I'm just not sure whether I'm satisfied with the ending ... Lol
                              I’m probably in the minority on this one but I found Hereditary to be pretty mediocre. Some good performances, sure, good production value, it’s just missing something and I can’t quite tell what that is.

Joey wrote: View Post
                              Was really unsure about this one, but I'll give it a watch.
                              I was very unsure as well. It looked like the kind of movie I really wouldn’t like but Bong is a very good director and I’m not surprised he was able to take an idea that could have gone so poorly and make it work really well.

Comment

• Took my daughter to see the new Grinch movie. Thought it would be terrible but it was actually pretty good. Had a different enough spin on it than the previous versions, was funny throughout, and although the emotional depth was a little shallow, it worked better overall than I was expecting.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X