No announcement yet.

The Movie Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really didn’t like BP. Not a fan of marvel movies at all so I guess it was an above average Marvel movie? I don’t know, super hero movies generally don’t it for me because I hate the cookie cutter formula that they all have. I have to say, the character Black Panther is pretty cool though and Michael B Jordan was the best part of the movie by far. I found myself being bored whenever we were in Wakanda and wanting to go back to wherever Michael B Jordan was.

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post
      Really didn’t like BP. Not a fan of marvel movies at all so I guess it was an above average Marvel movie? I don’t know, super hero movies generally don’t it for me because I hate the cookie cutter formula that they all have. I have to say, the character Black Panther is pretty cool though and Michael B Jordan was the best part of the movie by far. I found myself being bored whenever we were in Wakanda and wanting to go back to wherever Michael B Jordan was.
      Yeah, it was a bit of a weird one for me. It starts off with a lot of world building and stuff and doesn't seem to be going anywhere, then it starts to really build toward something unique and interesting, then it devolves into everyone fighting each other. There was definitely a real effort to address some really profound ideas but they didn't follow through.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
        Yeah, it was a bit of a weird one for me. It starts off with a lot of world building and stuff and doesn't seem to be going anywhere, then it starts to really build toward something unique and interesting, then it devolves into everyone fighting each other. There was definitely a real effort to address some really profound ideas but they didn't follow through.
        For sure. The first act felt really incoherent and almost random, and it was to obviously trying to explain everything it could in 15 minutes. The second act was stronger and the action scenes were great, but the transition into the tried and true grand fight that Marvel seems to do every movie was just so disappointing. People were saying that this movie was radical as a superhero movie but I found it very typical.

From a technical standpoint, I felt as though the editing was actually quite poor. Shot to shot there was often a disjointed feel and especially scene to scene, which just felt really abrupt or out of place. The cinematography was “cool” but really really forgettable. I wish these filmmakers would look at movies like Blade Runner and understand that you can tell your story in part with your cinematography but alas the big budget super hero movies don’t seem to have much creative freedom for the directors or cinematographers.

Comment

For sure. The first act felt really incoherent and almost random, and it was to obviously trying to explain everything it could in 15 minutes. The second act was stronger and the action scenes were great, but the transition into the tried and true grand fight that Marvel seems to do every movie was just so disappointing. People were saying that this movie was radical as a superhero movie but I found it very typical.

From a technical standpoint, I felt as though the editing was actually quite poor. Shot to shot there was often a disjointed feel and especially scene to scene, which just felt really abrupt or out of place. The cinematography was “cool” but really really forgettable. I wish these filmmakers would look at movies like Blade Runner and understand that you can tell your story in part with your cinematography but alas the big budget super hero movies don’t seem to have much creative freedom for the directors or cinematographers.
          The editing didn't catch my eye at all but I did find that some of the special effects poor, which was fucking shocking in a Marvel movie. Now, it wasn't Justice League from the early 90s special effects bad but there were a couple scenes that were close.

Comment

• Just saw Black Panther on the weekend. Was pretty good, not great. As others have mentioned, weird pacing. The start of the movie feels like nothing is happening and there are no stakes when something does, then later in the movie when the villain gets more time and it picks up, the plot seems to lose its thread a bit. Still, some exciting action scenes, good performances, fun world, overall a decent movie. Just not quite the all-timer the critics seemed to be crowning it. A rent-not-buy movie, IMO.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• My goodness, The Rock even makes losing look like the coolest thing to do...

Comment

Really didn’t like BP. Not a fan of marvel movies at all so I guess it was an above average Marvel movie? I don’t know, super hero movies generally don’t it for me because I hate the cookie cutter formula that they all have. I have to say, the character Black Panther is pretty cool though and Michael B Jordan was the best part of the movie by far. I found myself being bored whenever we were in Wakanda and wanting to go back to wherever Michael B Jordan was.
                Racist!

Comment

• Saw Black Panther last night. That it was decent. I'd give it a 'B' or 'B+'.

Was it one of the best Super Hero movies of all time? Nope. But I admit it did feel fresher than most other Marvel movies we're seen recently.

And a little too much CGI (in a few combat scenes), for my liking.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    And a little too much CGI (in a few combat scenes), for my liking.
                    big tranformers, and pacific rim guy?

if anyone is brave enough to watch that hurricane movie i see commercials for i would love a review, full spoliers included, that movie looks brutal. i only ever walked out of a theater one time in my life, godzilla 2000, but it is looking like hurricane heist might be another one to leave mid movie.

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                      The reliance on CGI is sort of understandable when you've got robots the size of skyscrapers, but when it's 2 guys in hand-to-hand combat, seems unnecessary.

And despite the progress Hollywood's made with CGI, it still looks fake.

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post

if anyone is brave enough to watch that hurricane movie i see commercials for i would love a review, full spoliers included, that movie looks brutal. i only ever walked out of a theater one time in my life, godzilla 2000, but it is looking like hurricane heist might be another one to leave mid movie.
                        That trailer fascinates me. How did that movie get made? Who thought it would be a good idea? So many questions.

Comment

That trailer fascinates me. How did that movie get made? Who thought it would be a good idea? So many questions.
                          Does anyone remember the movie Hard Rain? Christian Slater (which dates the movie fairly effectively) is an armoured truck driver in a small town trying to get money out of banks as a small town is getting flooded and then Morgan Freeman (credibility!) comes to rob him.

This movie kind of reminds me of that movie (1998).
                          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• I finally watched Arrival after somehow skipping it for 2 years... I loved it.

Sure, it has some issues, but i love a sci-fi movie that leaves you more so pondering the implications than just recalling the story afterwards.

And the emotional punch delivered by the big reveal got to me big-time for some reason.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                              Does anyone remember the movie Hard Rain? Christian Slater (which dates the movie fairly effectively) is an armoured truck driver in a small town trying to get money out of banks as a small town is getting flooded and then Morgan Freeman (credibility!) comes to rob him.

This movie kind of reminds me of that movie (1998).
                              LOL.. was actually thinking of the same movie when I saw that trailer.

Comment

you just know that one is ending up on mystery science theater at some point

Comment

Working...
                                X