No announcement yet.

Another way to get wiggins (P Jones)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This has been my position ever since Wiggins announced that the Raptors were the NBA team he wanted to play for. Given he close Wiggins played his cards to his chest prior to his decision to go to Kansas, it is quite significant (and nonetheless unsurprising) that he wants to head to TO. The other option the Raptors have is to look at a trade at some point during Wiggins' rookie contract when his team realizes they aren't going to be able to sign him to a second deal. Wiggins' team will not have a lot of leverage if there is only one team he'll take a sign and trade to

Comment

I had mentioned this a while back in a piece here. I do like the strategy and it even has a good probability of working out given that Wiggins is attached to Toronto and has said he wants to come. To play devil's advocate though, here are some of the negatives:
      • It would take 5-6 years before it happens, assuming his RFA offer is matched or he's extended.
      • In that time frame he may become attached to the city he's in and not want to change.
      • His Bird rights would belong to his current team and they could offer him the most money.

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
        When a player comes off their rookie contract, the team extends a qualifying offer (a one year contract for a set amount, 30% above their previous year's salary, usually far below what the player is worth). While that offer is on the table, if the player signs an offer sheet with another team, the original team is able to match and retain the player (this is restricted free agency). The player can choose instead to sign the qualifying offer, meaning he plays one more season for his original team then is an unrestricted free agent. This pretty much never happens, but that's the hope of the dreamers who want Wiggins to bolt and sign here after 5 years.

Here's the thing everyone ignores when discussing this situation. Assuming Wiggins is a max contract level player, that's not true. A team has two options when extending a qualifying offer - they can extend the usual one-year qualifying offer at a low contract value as described above. Or they can extend a maximum qualifying offer. This is exactly the same as the qualifying offer above (it allows the team to match any offer to the free agent), except for 3 things.

1) Any offer made to the player must now be 4 years in length. With a regular QO, offers must be at least 3 years in length.
        2) The value of the qualifying offer is the player's maximum salary (after a rookie deal this is about 14 million per year) instead of the reduced amount in a regular QO (for the first overall pick about 8.2 million).

And most importantly:

3) The maximum qualifying offer is a contract 5 years in length. Signing the QO in this case would lock the player into a 5 year maximum contract with his original team. The player would be free to leave earlier if he signed a 4 year offer from another team.

So when I and others say that (assuming Wiggins is worth all the fuss, and therefore worth a max contract) the first chance to get him in free agency will be after 8 or 9 years, that's where the certainty comes from. It's not an assumption that he won't bolt when he gets the chance - it is the reality that he won't get the chance until then.
        Technically yes. BUT, after signing 5 year extension, player can pull "VC" ie bitch about not being happy, refusing to dunk, etc -basically forcing a team to trade "unhappy player".

Comment

Mapko wrote: View Post
          Technically yes. BUT, after signing 5 year extension, player can pull "VC" ie bitch about not being happy, refusing to dunk, etc -basically forcing a team to trade "unhappy player".
          Sure, but from what I've seen, Wiggins is not that type of person.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

And would we even want that type of person (regardless of his birth certificate)?

Comment

Raptors should go for the playoffs, and go for Wiggins...

It seems to me there's no point in tanking. The Raptors are clearly the best team in their division, and even without the division title and 4th seed, there's no way we'll be worse than Phili, Orlando, Utah, etc. Like it or not, as long as we have a starting line up with JV, Amir, DD, and Lowry, we are too good to tank. That being said, I see no sense in trading proven talent to be bad and wind up with an unproven 5th pick

This is what I propose:

Try and keep Lowry
              - He's proven to be a solid pg, better than anyone else who's gonna be available. It's hard to bring players to Toronto, but no one has ever left without praising the city. For the right amount of money, I think he'd stay. We've got cap space that has to be used on someone, why not him?

Try to get over 500, and win the Atlantic
              -Yeah, the Atlantic is bad, but the Raptors don't have to be. I think if they keep playing this kind of ball, they can finish with a respectable record and create a winning culture. With this team and the way things are going, I have hopes for a playoff run- not a first round exit.

In 3-4 years, make a play for Wiggins
              -For the first time ever, there's a player who WANTS to play for the Raptors! It makes no sense to build a shit team in order to get him, when instead the Raptors could be built into an above average East team, let some other team ease Wiggins into the NBA, then snatch him up with max money (assuming he'll deserve it) and the chance to come home.

I think in the next 4 years, if the Raptors can become a good team and get the city more behind them than they already are, and Wiggins is a bonafide Canadian star, the Raptors would be given the green light on throwing max money at him, regardless of their cap situation.

Comment

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

This topic has been brought up numerous times before.

Problem is whatever team drafts him will have him on a rookie contract for 4 years.

The Raptors could offer him a contract but his drafting team will have right to match. If he is what he is suppose to be, that contract is either going to be matched or he will have already signed an extension before he ever hits free agency. This is likely to take him to his 8th or 9th NBA season.

The other possibility, and one that I can only remember happening with Ben Gordon, is he signs his qualifying offer and becomes an UFA after 5th year.

So either way you are looking at an unlikely possibility of landing him after year 5 or as an unrestricted free agent in 8-9 years.

Comment

My goodness, there's going to be a lot of sadness in Raptorland when the team (more than likely) doesn't acquire Wiggins. I see no point in putting so much hope in getting one player. What if he doesn't even pan out?

Comment

Wiggins, Wiggins, Wiggins (puke)

Wiggins, Wiggins, Wiggins
                    ,Wiggins, Wiggins, Wiggins,Wiggins, Wiggins, Wiggins.................
                    Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

We will not get him. With this rate, we will get a pick above 10 in this draft. Who needs Wiggins and Parker when we have Amir and Lowry !!!

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        Hi. Welcome to the forums.

This topic has been brought up numerous times before.

Problem is whatever team drafts him will have him on a rookie contract for 4 years.

The Raptors could offer him a contract but his drafting team will have right to match. If he is what he is suppose to be, that contract is either going to be matched or he will have already signed an extension before he ever hits free agency. This is likely to take him to his 8th or 9th NBA season.

The other possibility, and one that I can only remember happening with Ben Gordon, is he signs his qualifying offer and becomes an UFA after 5th year.

So either way you are looking at an unlikely possibility of landing him after year 5 or as an unrestricted free agent in 8-9 years.
                        Plus, if he is "what he is supposed to be," that qualifying offer he signs would be 5 years in length, not one. So, no 5 year option.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                        X