Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Assume the Raptors DONT tank and end up around 7-8th seed in the playoffs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In such a case, they should shift their focus to free agency and trades. Hopefully they would've created more cap space in the mean time and have money to use on acquiring some quality players if not a franchise player. As far as the draft is concerned, they can forget about a definite franchise player and pick the best available talent.

The encouraging thing is that Masai has show that he can build winning teams without superstar talent.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

lilmamba_ wrote: View Post
      I really don't think we're gonna take Indiana or Miami to game 7
      Or a Game 5.
      Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Jamshid wrote: View Post
        easily
        hmmmmm

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
          Or a Game 5.
          You're right. #RapsIn4

Comment

These guys aren't tanking. Let's set that straight. You got professionals out there who hate losing. They're gonna play their hearts out whenever they'ew out on the court. To be honest, I enjoy watching these guys play. This is probably my favourite team since the Carter-Oakley-ADavis-Boogie days because these guys play hard and they're never out of a game. They give lots of effort. When Ujiri does trade Lowry ( I hope he doesn't and gives him a contract extension), in return, he'll get a piece or two that brings a workman like effort to court and plays hard from whistle to whistle. I hope this becomes our calling card as a team. If this team does end up in the playoffs, I would be happy watching some playoff ball for a change.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
              These guys aren't tanking. Let's set that straight. You got professionals out there who hate losing. They're gonna play their hearts out whenever they'ew out on the court. To be honest, I enjoy watching these guys play. This is probably my favourite team since the Carter-Oakley-ADavis-Boogie days because these guys play hard and they're never out of a game. They give lots of effort. When Ujiri does trade Lowry ( I hope he doesn't and gives him a contract extension), in return, he'll get a piece or two that brings a workman like effort to court and plays hard from whistle to whistle. I hope this becomes our calling card as a team. If this team does end up in the playoffs, I would be happy watching some playoff ball for a change.
              well obviously the coach and players aren't tanking. i don't think anyone is disputing that. from the FO though? thats a different story.

Comment

The FO has to be happy with the play of the team since the RGay trade. The ball moves around on offense and they play with more cohesiveness. I don't think they're upset with that one bit.

Comment

The FO has to be happy with the play of the team since the RGay trade. The ball moves around on offense and they play with more cohesiveness. I don't think they're upset with that one bit.
                  i know JV certainly isn't

Comment

They can be happy with the play of the team while also committed to tanking.
                    "Stop eating your sushi."
                    "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                    "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                    - Jack Armstrong

Comment

OOPS LOL you guys are right I completely forgot that we were first in the Atlantic which has completely thus thrown off my question

Comment

It is fun to watch them play. Effort is great, defense is pretty good, ball movement is so much better. But, best case scenario this team gets spanked by Miami or Indiana in the 2nd round. Then you realize how far this team has yet to go aka nowhere near able to win 75% of the rounds required to win a championship. Especially if Lowry is re-signed, you've essentially committed to this core, and you're drafting late 1st round from this point on...

I appreciate the sentiment, and feel the same way to a large degree, but there's got to be room for some perspective. As likeable as these guys are, they're nowhere near good enough for a deep playoff run, let alone a championship. A lot more change and growth are needed, whether this season or in the next couple.
                        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                          It is fun to watch them play. Effort is great, defense is pretty good, ball movement is so much better. But, best case scenario this team gets spanked by Miami or Indiana in the 2nd round. Then you realize how far this team has yet to go aka nowhere near able to win 75% of the rounds required to win a championship. Especially if Lowry is re-signed, you've essentially committed to this core, and you're drafting late 1st round from this point on...

I appreciate the sentiment, and feel the same way to a large degree, but there's got to be room for some perspective. As likeable as these guys are, they're nowhere near good enough for a deep playoff run, let alone a championship. A lot more change and growth are needed, whether this season or in the next couple.
                          Would like to tank also, but I think this is a very different situation from the last time we were in the playoffs. This team isn't capped out for starters and has a ton of flexibility. Two of our key players are nowhere near reaching their ceilings yet, and one appears to still have a lot of room to grow. Additionally instead of trading away picks to get us to the playoffs, ujiri has actually acquired them instead, which means if we stay on course we can add mid round talent, potentially trade up for top 10 talent, or trade out in a package for nice players. Not saying its a guarantee but were in a unique position where we could make the playoffs, get to the second round then go out and sign a guy in the offseason or make some trades that improve the team further.
                          Last edited by Masai Ujiri; Sat Dec 28, 2013, 06:38 AM.

Comment

If we win against the Knicks tomorrow I'm putting away my tank. I just don't see how we can do it now. Everyday the odds of getting the 3rd seed go up in comparison with the odds to get a top 6 pick.

Not that I want Masai to make a "win now" type trade, but if we aren't going to be in the bottom 3 of the East we'd better have the 3rd or 4th best record in the East (not just the 4th seed due to winning the division). I want homecourt advantage in the first round.
                            "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
                              If we win against the Knicks tomorrow I'm putting away my tank. I just don't see how we can do it now. Everyday the odds of getting the 3rd seed go up in comparison with the odds to get a top 6 pick.

Not that I want Masai to make a "win now" type trade, but if we aren't going to be in the bottom 3 of the East we'd better have the 3rd or 4th best record in the East (not just the 4th seed due to winning the division). I want homecourt advantage in the first round.
                              No doubt it is discouraging for those seeking an infusion of elite talent.

While a win tomorrow hampers efforts to get to the top of the lottery, the next 9 games softer are all vs. the east. January 15th.

And while the Raps won last night, so did Orlando, Utah, Sacramento, and Brooklyn.

Comment

Dose anyone think they might even of been surprised by the play with the trade. Maybe they were hoping for a tank themselves, but wow, we got some good talent a few young guys with potential, a nice vet to keep everyone calm, and oh shit were winning.

Maybe there looking at generating the buzz, with playoffs, it help the appeal of the franchise around the league if were doing it with young guys. And of course acquiring assets when ever and where ever we can. We are team will look alot like Denver, no superstar and team ball. Lots of good young talent.

I know a lot of people on here bang DD a lot and how get rid of him now, but he is a legit option on offense as long as there is another threat on the floor. He is struggling cause teams are now keying in on him, he plays well but after the bad game the other night the Ross DD thread popped up. He is a piece I hope we keep long term.

Everyone needs to try and stop analyzing MU. I know were fans and all, but the constant talk of tank, is driving our TEAM to new and better ball. They are obviously responding to the all the talk, wether we like to see it or not. It's the information age, and bet some of them read this stuff and bring it back to the fellas providing fire.

They responded again last night after a terrible sloppy first half.

Go Raps

Comment

Working...
                                X