Can't think of a superstar that fits better than Kevin Love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't think of a superstar that fits better than Kevin Love

I know it's kinda the point of forums but were all trying way too hard at this armchair GM thing.

We're thinking the only way to win is to get a star, so we're pulling a Colangelo and mortgaging our future for a star now (who might still leave in a year!)

Trading Val, our most intriguing prospect, or picks for K Love might be a good play, for one year and in a vacuum. But what about when he doesn't resign? Or when he doesn't work out with the fit of this team?

Some of you have said, and I think it's indisputable at this point, that Val will be an impact player in this league one day. A star even- not a superstar, mind you.

Add DD, who with another offseason of insane development in areas he (and we) knows he needs to improve, will cement his place as a top 10-14 SG, add the bench depth with patman and Ro(ss)bin, greasy and our draft picks, and the bulldog defensive brick wall that is Kyle Lowry and we have a great team, full of potential, and who was already the 3rd seed in the east, they know what it takes to get there.

I know that in a forum it's no fun unless you're coming up with crazy trade ideas and scenarios that will likely never pan out, but I think right now, the best move MU can make is no move.
    Last edited by e_wheazhy_; Mon May 19, 2014, 04:29 PM.
    A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

• Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
      Wtf

Jonas probably has the highest ceiling on the raptors and you wanna trade him for pot smoking team detrimental centre who is paid more than anyone on the raptors? C'mon dude
      I only used Sanders as an example. My point is that I think Love is and will still be better than JV.. so instead of trying to figure out if Love/JV can work, trade JV for something different. And you only do this if you get Love of course.

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
      Although I think you missed on the Sanders example I agree.

But do we want to trade JV? I don't, I think he still has the potential to be a plus defender eventually, and could be a 20/10 guy yet. By mid next season we should be able to tell
      If we get Love I'm willing to move JV. As mentioned above Sanders is an example but he's a totally buy low type of asset right now.. may even be able to squeeze Po out of a deal like that depending on who else we send back.

If Sanders goes back to what he did last season than we have a top 5 defensive center in the league with an offensive juggernaut. With both guys being extremely young still. That's the type of front court I'd be looking for.

Comment

• Espn's Zachary harper's suggestion for Love:

Toronto Raptors

The deal: Trade Machine

Raptors receive: Kevin Love
        Wolves receive: Jonas Valanciunas, Terrence Ross, John Salmons, No. 20 pick in 2014, Knicks’ first-round pick in 2016

It would leave the Raptors searching for a big man to protect the paint, but in today’s NBA, you could get away with a Love-Amir Johnson frontcourt against a lot of teams. The Wolves get the young assets they crave, the draft picks they need and the cap relief necessary to keep their options open. They’d have to move Pekovic next, and they don’t get rid of Martin's contract in this scenario, but it’s a good start to the rebuilding plan. This might be a lot for the Raptors to give up, but general manager Masai Ujiri can just fleece the next four trades he makes and even it all out.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...s-for-29-teams

I wouldn't risk another 6-7 years of JV or Ross plus 8-9 years of draft picks for 1 year of Love.

Comment

• That's a move you don't make unless you get a verbal commitment from Love to re-sign, and even then you still need to think about it. Very, very risky deal. The thing that scares me about it is how eerily similar it is to the deal the Nets made for DWill.

Deron was averaging 21-10 that year on 59% true shooting. Was a bonafide superstar and arguably the best point guard in the league (he and CP3 was a legit conversation). He was also 26 (same age as Love is now).

Nets traded Favors, Devin Harris (solid PG at the time), the pick that was used to select Kanter, and a 2013 1st round pick (back in 2011) for Deron. Basically trading every major asset they had except Lopez.

The thing that makes this different is we'd still have some great, non-injury prone (at least not to the same extent as Lopez) players around Love in DeRozan, Lowry and Amir. Tbh I'm not even really sure what I'm getting at lol, just some thoughts.

Comment

• imanshumpert wrote: View Post
            That's a move you don't make unless you get a verbal commitment from Love to re-sign, and even then you still need to think about it. Very, very risky deal. The thing that scares me about it is how eerily similar it is to the deal the Nets made for DWill.

Deron was averaging 21-10 that year on 59% true shooting. Was a bonafide superstar and arguably the best point guard in the league (he and CP3 was a legit conversation). He was also 26 (same age as Love is now).

Nets traded Favors, Devin Harris (solid PG at the time), the pick that was used to select Kanter, and a 2013 1st round pick (back in 2011) for Deron. Basically trading every major asset they had except Lopez.

The thing that makes this different is we'd still have some great, non-injury prone (at least not to the same extent as Lopez) players around Love in DeRozan, Lowry and Amir. Tbh I'm not even really sure what I'm getting at lol, just some thoughts.

If such deal is gonna go down... i would reach out to the Bulls in their interest in parting with boozer and their pick for our non-guaranteed contract... pick up their assets and flip boozer, JV and another pick or picks(preferrably 1 first round and couple of second rounders) to Minny for love. Boozer is essentially an expiring and Minny can use him in the position of Love.

Comment

• If we were to trade for Love, I'd give DD (they don't have a reliable wing) Amir, + picks & maybe Patterson/Vasquez

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• I don't want kevin love if it means giving up our core like JV or tross

Comment

• IMO trading for love now without him signing an extension with us is a win now type of move we gonna lookout for our future too

Comment

• I don't see MU going all in on a superstar for one year.
                    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• Imagine a lineup of

Lowry
                      Ross
                      SF
                      Love
                      Valanciunas

With Vasquez, Patterson, VC? Off the bench

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                        Espn's Zachary harper's suggestion for Love:

I wouldn't risk another 6-7 years of JV or Ross plus 8-9 years of draft picks for 1 year of Love.
                        Given that all the other trades are paying a pretty penny, I think the assumption is that Love gives a verbal commitment to extend prior to the trade.

I want Love as step one in going hard after Durant. We need to start setting the table now.

Comment

• To acquire him, cap space would have to be GIANT. Or, via trade, we'd have to give up some picks, and a current core piece like a Ross, or even a DeRozan. Minny lacks wings, they're going to need one.
                          Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• Ah, I think if we trade for him he'll fall in love with the city, don't think he'll sign here without having a taste though.

Comment

• Acquiring Love will help us lure Durant, like Harden in Houston who lured Howard.

Comment

• That's why they're the Sacramento Kings lol. I mean seriously, why would you trade for Love without assurance that he'll re-sign? it's not like the Kings becomes an instant championship contender with Love.

Mamba Mentality

Comment

Working...
                                X