No announcement yet.

SN: "Vince Carter: The re-imagination of VC"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have no problem with SN doing something on Vince.. but it is simply a marketing ploy. I don't like how Vince plays the game anymore (well ever since his NJ days). He's basically a jump shooter, and we have plenty of those. So if the idea is to have him sign with the Raptors next season then I think its a ridiculous idea.

And the Raptors better not retire his jersey. That would piss me off.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
      Just curious, can someone mention why this sudden swell of interest in Wince? Grange has written a big piece on his rehabiliation, I think Smith has a piece in the Star and something about Drake pushing the agenda I hear. I know he is in town with the Mavs but surely this all doesnt have anything to do with pumping up the game is it?

Doesnt he get booed each time he comes to town. Personally I'd rather give the silent treatment of disinterest than participate in throat clearing So, how does rejection by the paying members at the ACC translate into a concerted effort by our scribes to go to bat for VC. Strange.
      It's been mentioned elsewhere in this thread but it's a good thought. We host the all star game in 2 years on our 20th anniversary. It would probably involve a celebration of our history. How would that look if we boo our whole history?

Comment

That's a good point. Even if Damon, Vince, Bosh and umm.. err.. De uhh.. Valanciunas stand together representing various "eras", it would look pretty stupid to the rest of the world if you heard booing when they showed highlights of any one of those periods of Raptors history. Forget HOF for a minute, or retiring of jerseys.. but just having them stand there. Fans would look extremely foolish.

Though truth be told, it'll be a different crowd at the ASG than the usual fans that show up to the games.
        your pal,
        ebrian

Comment

Why this sudden push to make the crowd like Vince Carter again?

They clearly want to retire his jersey in the future, but I don't think quitting on your team should be celebrated. I don't care about all the other garbage surrounding Carter, I saw with my own eyes how he gave up. My opinion of him won't change.
          "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

This whole thing is just ridiculous. It's crazy. People seriously needs to MOVE ON. It's been 10 years!!

If you were in a relationship, and this girl that you were in a relationship with broke up with you. Would it also take years and years for you to move on??? or will you ever move on? lol.
            Mamba Mentality

Comment

4hunnit_degreez wrote: View Post
              Why this sudden push to make the crowd like Vince Carter again?

They clearly want to retire his jersey in the future, but I don't think quitting on your team should be celebrated. I don't care about all the other garbage surrounding Carter, I saw with my own eyes how he gave up. My opinion of him won't change.
              totally agree with you 4hunnit ... the kind of person I would want to retire is roy halladay

2 years before his contract ran out he told management he would leave unless they were competing for championships. He still went out and played at a high level, he never caused any problems. Once he was traded he took out a full page ad saying thank you to the fans. a total class act

that's the kind of person I would want to honor not VC. he quit on the team and forced his way out. ( don't forget he told the seattle supersonics what play we were going to run in game before he was traded )

that's not the kind of player we would uphold to honour ever. .Im not angry anymore its just a game and I enjoy the fun of people booing him in the context of the game without any sense of anger but for me I would honor only those of the highest level of people who were dedicated to the team or achieved a high amount of success and losing once in the 2nd round doesn't do it

Comment

Not sure exactly how to watch this thing.. I think it's a magazine article along with a show, but I'm not sure when it airs.. I'll have to check my tv guide thing and see. Anyway, there's a recorded part of a radio show on sportsnet now, Michael Grange with Friedman and the other guy.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...-vince-carter/

I particularly enjoyed the comments made from young canadian players (via Grange.. I suspect the article/special will show more of it?), and I think the conversation at the end, the last 2 minutes or so was kind enlightening to me.
                your pal,
                ebrian

Comment

Btw, I had no idea that Sportsnet has their own magazine. I'm guessing that this is something they need to market a bit more considering how much sports intake I get on a daily basis. Granted I'm not really into the magazine scene but I should have at least heard of it.
                  your pal,
                  ebrian

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                    This whole thing is just ridiculous. It's crazy. People seriously needs to MOVE ON. It's been 10 years!!

If you were in a relationship, and this girl that you were in a relationship with broke up with you. Would it also take years and years for you to move on??? or will you ever move on? lol.
                    We've all moved on, but some of us aren't interested in getting back together.

Comment

• This whole thing just reeks of PR and marketing like others have mentioned. This just seems to be a way to get money out of your pocket. I want no part in it, but if you want to "celebrate" Vince's illustrious career by bringing him back to the franchise, buying a retro jersey or bobblehead and telling him he is forgiven then by all means. Fortunately for me, I have better things to do with my disposable income than fatten the coffers of Bell/Rogers. I do enough of that in my 'everyday' living.

Comment

• And what is this talk of celebrating the franchise on an anniversary, or the re-branding and the all-star game. Can you imagine attempting to showcase this franchise to the world when we host the all-star game or during an anniversary? How mickey mouse would we look to the rest of the world then? We have done nothing worth celebrating as a franchise, and making up with Vince just confirms it!

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post

There's a difference between "moving on" from your ex, and commemorating her on your bedroom wall 10 years after the breakup

Comment

• Video of Vince talking on these things yesterday:
                            http://www.tsn.ca/videohub/Default.aspx?collection=107&show=279321&section=Sports
                            Last edited by gametime; Wed Jan 22, 2014, 12:51 PM.

Comment

• well written article about the VC situation by Cathal Kelly:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptor...her_kelly.html

Comment

• It was a good article but I can't help get the feeling that Cathal wasn't a Raptors fan during those days. It just doesn't "feel" like he was.. did anyone else get that from reading it? It feels more like he just knows about those days and is writing about something he read as opposed to experienced.

He also seemed to state matter-of-factly that Carter is headed to the Hall of Fame. I don't see that happening.. as much I would like to see him retired as a Raptor, or enter the HOF as a Raptor, I'm not sure he will go there.
                                your pal,
                                ebrian

Comment

Working...
                                X