No announcement yet.

Everything Kyle Lowry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agreed, it's just a really tough thing to do. Kyle isn't naturally the most talented guard in the NBA. Kudos for really dialing in his shooting, but he's not particularly athletic, size isn't there, hasn't been an elite passer until this season and the season is young. His ridiculous motor and intensity is what brings him to the table as a top guard and player. Taking the foot off the gas changes who he is as a player.

An then when Kawhi is being rested on back to backs you see how little shot creation we have. Lowry has a heavy load to carry on offence those nights as defences key in on him. I guess that is where adding someone like Butler would really help.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
      Agreed, it's just a really tough thing to do. Kyle isn't naturally the most talented guard in the NBA. Kudos for really dialing in his shooting, but he's not particularly athletic, size isn't there, hasn't been an elite passer until this season and the season is young. His ridiculous motor and intensity is what brings him to the table as a top guard and player. Taking the foot off the gas changes who he is as a player.

An then when Kawhi is being rested on back to backs you see how little shot creation we have. Lowry has a heavy load to carry on offence those nights as defences key in on him. I guess that is where adding someone like Butler would really help.
      Totally...if we have three of these beasts, you have the luxury of resting one in preparation for that long post season grind without really affecting top seeding and HCA in the regular season.

But if Masai/Webster stays put before the deadline then I dont doubt that Kawhi can steal a game or two off that West opponent in the Finals if ever we get there as long as he is healthy.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
        FVV and Delon are both solid but don't project to replace Lowry's impact. In an ideal world where Kawhi signs a new deal in Toronto, Masai's going to need a talent injection to make sure there's a legit second star on the team. Kawhi + role players won't cut it.
        I, on the other hand, think VanVleet is capable of being an impact player in this league. He already is at 24 years of age, coming off the bench, closing games. He's a similar dog in comparison of Lowry.

S.R. wrote: View Post
        Agreed in general, a couple thoughts:

- The old ISO heavy offence that also needed 20+ ppg from him was a big drain. He's able to pick and choose his shots more now and puts more energy into facilitating rather than scoring. That's easier to maintain over the long haul.
        - It looks to me like he's crashing the basket on drives a lot less than a couple years ago. It's throwing your body at 7 footers near the rim and crash landing on the camera men night in and night out that he used to do more and doesn't need to do as much now.
        - He is still playing with a ton of intensity on both sides of the ball. Not sure that's sustainable and not sure it's really needed over the whole season. Dial it up to that level for key games and the postseason, yes, but don't burn out in the meantime.
        - He is leading the league in charges drawn again with 6. Love that he does this, wouldn't mind if he did it a little less when he doesn't really need to. Choose your spots a little more (if that's possible).
        - When Delon and Fred are healthy and back in the rotation, hopefully Lowry's minutes come down a bit.
        Great points.

Kawhi has helped a whole ton. It seems if anyone is expounding tons of energy, it looks like Kawhi, especially on the offensive end. The Raptors cover a lot of ground defensively, and I think he'll be able to pace himself on that side, seeing how brilliant the team is on that end when they're on a string. He no longer has to bail out his teammates on the floor with Green/Kawhi, vs. DeRozan (awful defender) and OG (rookie).

Lowry has done an impressive job thus far in picking his spots, and choosing when to get guys involved and when he needs to take over offensively. Most, if not all, his plays have been very timely, similar to Kawhi. Everything they do have intent, and aren't throwaway scoring.

Lowry seems like one of the few guys that could go late into their career being productive, he was never the biggest or athletic point guard throughout his career, and he has lost more and more weight the later he's gone into his career.
        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/p...9/seasontype/2

Kyle is miles ahead of the pack in assists and assists-to-turnovers. Everyone know he's a great defender, especially when he wants to be. He scores a lot too. Great 3-point shooter. Works well with Kawhi.

Seriously, where is the MVP chatter? This website has yet to run an article on the suggestion.

Comment

• Beagle wrote: View Post
            http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/p...9/seasontype/2

Kyle is miles ahead of the pack in assists and assists-to-turnovers. Everyone know he's a great defender, especially when he wants to be. He scores a lot too. Great 3-point shooter. Works well with Kawhi.

Seriously, where is the MVP chatter? This website has yet to run an article on the suggestion.
            Its understandable that people are cautious on Lowry’s performance. His past playoff failures can give some people uncertainties.

Though this year, the offense is more fluid under Nurse. The ball rarely sticks. When he passes to Green, its automatic that the ball is right away hoisted with accuracy.

Its common knowledge and basketball 101:

An assist is a pass that sets up a basket. It's an unselfish move -- one of the most important in basketball -- that can lead to a basket and even help win a game. For example, a point guard might pass to a small forward who is cutting to the basket. That forward takes one step and hits a layup, and the guard is credited with an assist.
            Used to be robotic before, Lowry passes then receiver isos/ dribbles the ball for 15 seconds then shoots it. There goes the assist that went down the drain.

Comment

• I realize this seems like heaping on the praise with all the assist leader stuff and the talk about Nash comparisons, but we (the city) really need to drop the whole "Kyle is prickly with the media" thing and appreciate the amazing player we have playing for our franchise (the other one). While he could have closed off and just played ball this season, he is still going out and being a leader of the team both on court and in the community. I was intrigued by the origin of the recent Raps Halloween party and I just read that it was Lowry and his wife who organized it. Never mind the toy drives and the Thanksgiving turkeys that he's always done, he's adding on to his responsibilities (unless they've done that before). Anyways, not that he is lacking for praise these days but i just wanted to add my 2 cents of appreciation for KL1

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
                I realize this seems like heaping on the praise with all the assist leader stuff and the talk about Nash comparisons, but we (the city) really need to drop the whole "Kyle is prickly with the media" thing and appreciate the amazing player we have playing for our franchise (the other one). While he could have closed off and just played ball this season, he is still going out and being a leader of the team both on court and in the community. I was intrigued by the origin of the recent Raps Halloween party and I just read that it was Lowry and his wife who organized it. Never mind the toy drives and the Thanksgiving turkeys that he's always done, he's adding on to his responsibilities (unless they've done that before). Anyways, not that he is lacking for praise these days but i just wanted to add my 2 cents of appreciation for KL1
                He has been chronically underappreciated through this whole run, the most successful extended streak in franchise history.
                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

He has been chronically underappreciated through this whole run, the most successful extended streak in franchise history.
                  It's not just us, either.

A few years it was Kyle Lowry vs Goran Dragic
                  Then Kyle Lowry vs Jose Calderon

then Kyle Lowry vs Mike Connoly

than Kyle Lowry vs who was it this year T Rex? Simmons?

Every year, the NBA experts try to get rid of Lowry out of the top 10 point guards. Every year, he takes on all comers and sticks in the top 5, and has showed more staying power than anyone not named Curry or Westbrook.
                  9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• I just accepted the fact that he'll never be embraced by majority of NBA fans
                    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Kyle is a fucking G.

Comment

• An ode to Kyle Lowry:

Always ready to rumble
                        You bring opponents trouble
                        With a body like barney rubble
                        And a beard of barely stubble
                        I hope one day on yonge, dude,
                        There is a stubby statue of you!
                        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• While we're on a roll of effusive praise here, I'd like to call for a moratorium on describing Lowry as "not athletic."

A guy who can take defending PG's off the bounce, defend power fowards on post ups, defend almost anyone when he wants to, lead the league in drawn charges, be top 2 or 3 in made three's, and now lead the league in assists...I mean all that aside, just watch this guy play a game when he's on and please tell me how you can describe what he's doing as "not athletic" - even relative to the other 9 guys on the floor.

His quickness is underrated (both on his feet and with his hands), he's as strong as guys twice his size, and he'll run laps around the gym all day long. Short of high flying dunks I'm not sure what else we're looking for in terms of athleticism.
                          Last edited by S.R.; Mon Nov 5, 2018, 05:37 PM.
                          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• I like Kyle Lowry as a basketball player.

Comment

Maybe by the casuals a little. But it's been almost a consensus on this forum that he's been our best player the last five years. Plus he did get voted in to start the all-star game.... I can't think of many things that show appreciation more than that.

And I hate to bring money into it but he is the 7th highest paid player in the NBA above Harden and Durant.

We love him and he deserves it. He really is Chauncey 2.0... maybe even better?

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                                Maybe by the casuals a little. But it's been almost a consensus on this forum that he's been our best player the last five years. Plus he did get voted in to start the all-star game.... I can't think of many things that show appreciation more than that.

And I hate to bring money into it but he is the 7th highest paid player in the NBA above Harden and Durant.

We love him and he deserves it. He really is Chauncey 2.0... maybe even better?
                                Billups never passed the ball like this

Comment

Working...
                                X