No announcement yet.

Everything Kyle Lowry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, It's kinda paradoxical but with the way the team is built, him remaining a scoring threat is more meaningful then his raw score ( which would also depend on volume of shots in order to be high). The value in being a threat is that the opposing team can't just say "well he's gonna pass, so I can just watch the receiver here". The opposing D needs to be on their toes thinking, "he might not be the primary shooter anymore, but if we leave him alone he can go off and get hot anytime, so we gotta be on him". That opens the space for our other guys, without taking away their touches/rhythm.

In order to remain a threat, all he's gotta do is not pass up open shots, and hit them at a decent %. Like all ball players say "just being aggressive". That's it. He's totally capable of that. Had a stretch of games right after his injury where he was a bit too timid, but started to get right back to his normal self in this past few games. Lowry is the same player we've known. It's the team's DNA that is considerably different now. You put Kemba Walker to play with Harden or in GoldenState instead of Charlotte and he's not gonna average 25 anymore because again, there's only one ball.

From now till the end of the playoffs, I highly suspect there will be games when Lowry scores 8 and others when he scores 22, depending on the opposing D's focus (interior vs. perimeter). Everybody will fuss when he gets 8 and ignore it when goes for 22 like we always do (lol), but when it's all said and done he'll average around 14 to 15 like he has for his career.

The beauty this year is that when he goes for 8, he'll likely have 10+ dimes, with guys like Ibaka/Gasol/Danny on mid to high teens and Siakam & Leonard close to 25. This is in contrast to the "Lowry & Derozan ride or die" years, where yeah he would average 22, but if he went for 8 we were screwed. This team has so many weapons; I'm not worried about anyone individually, except maybe Nurse, but that's another topic.
    Last edited by inthepaint; Fri Feb 22, 2019, 01:31 PM.

Comment

• I don't want to see the Raptors scrape and claw their way through playoff series with just grit and hustle because they have top scorers shooting like crap and guys collapsing in the moment. Been there, done that.

A difference between what we've seen in the Raptors playoff performances in the past and what we want to see this year is exactly this - Lowry not just finding ways to win because his shot isn't falling, but Lowry at peak performance. Same goes for the rest of the team.

The East has gotten tougher. Raps have to be their best to get through or we'll be watching someone else in the Finals.
      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
        I mean, it was a huge accomplishment when be won all the minutes in 2014 when he was playing with chuck hayes and Terrence Ross. Now hes got Kawhi, Danny, gasol, siakam...I wouldn't say simply "winning your minutes 5 on 5" is a good enough benchmark. He needs to be a shooting threat. You could stick delon Wright with those 4 and hed probably "win his minutes"
        a pg ha to be literally automatic rom 3 in my opinion. always

Comment

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
          a pg ha to be literally automatic rom 3 in my opinion. always
          well said

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post
            well said
            hahaha the keyboard wireless batteries are dying..... and im lazy

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
              Lowry just has to do what he's always done. Find a way for the Raptors to win the minutes he plays. And he does that almost every year (14-15 being the lone exception), injured or not, scoring or not, shooting well or not. Maybe we should stop worrying until we actually have a reason to.

If the Raptors need Lowry to be a significant scoring threat to win their minutes, that's what he'll be. They won't need that, and therefore we probably won't consistently see him be that, but since they won't need it that won't matter.
              This is what I can't stand. He's not a role player, he needs to have more impact than just being on the floor while our best players are also on the floor.

The reality is we need the opposing team to be scared of what Lowry can do on the offensive end. He does not need to average 20, but they need to be legitimately concerned that he will burn them for 25-30 if not controlled and focused on.

This is the POINT of having multiple stars. Giving the other team several options that they have to be legitimately worried about defensively. If Kawhi is the only guy that scares them we aren't going to win the title. This will be particularly important if we play Golden State. If Steph is on him he has to make him work to the point where either Steph is taken off him (forcing them to use an elite defender like Klay on him) or Steph is tired out and not able to do as much on offense himself.

Stop with the +/- crap. This isn't hockey.
              Last edited by Shaolin Fantastic; Fri Feb 22, 2019, 05:31 PM.

Comment

• do you think we made the right call not getting conley?

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
                  do you think we made the right call not getting conley?
                  Was a decision from Memphis
                  Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                    Was a decision from Memphis
                    Yep. I think if Memphis had been willing to do the same Gasol deal with Lowry and Conley also involved, Conley would be a Raptor right now.

Comment

• It would certainly help if Lowry was shooting a higher percentage from 3, but other than that this is the best Lowry we've seen in a Raps uni as far as I'm concerned. I've always thought that Lowry should be more of a general than a scorer, and finally we have the personnel to allow him to embrace that role. He's very suited to be a 3rd or 4th on offence while focusing on distributing and running the team and hes doing it very well thid season.

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
                        It would certainly help if Lowry was shooting a higher percentage from 3, but other than that this is the best Lowry we've seen in a Raps uni as far as I'm concerned. I've always thought that Lowry should be more of a general than a scorer, and finally we have the personnel to allow him to embrace that role. He's very suited to be a 3rd or 4th on offence while focusing on distributing and running the team and hes doing it very well thid season.
                        I like that he distributes, I don't like the intangibles off the court. I think it matters.

Lowry the player is fine, he has balls, I like balls

Comment

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
                          I like balls
                          Its 2019, so I'll just congratulate you and keep it movin
                          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

I mean, it was a huge accomplishment when be won all the minutes in 2014 when he was playing with chuck hayes and Terrence Ross. Now hes got Kawhi, Danny, gasol, siakam...I wouldn't say simply "winning your minutes 5 on 5" is a good enough benchmark. He needs to be a shooting threat. You could stick delon Wright with those 4 and hed probably "win his minutes"
                            In the playoffs literally all that matters is winning the minutes. Couldn't care less if he missed every shot he took all playoffs long if we win every game.

And he's proven time and time again that he can have a massive impact on team success whether he is scoring well or not.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
                              This is what I can't stand. He's not a role player, he needs to have more impact than just being on the floor while our best players are also on the floor.

The reality is we need the opposing team to be scared of what Lowry can do on the offensive end. He does not need to average 20, but they need to be legitimately concerned that he will burn them for 25-30 if not controlled and focused on.

This is the POINT of having multiple stars. Giving the other team several options that they have to be legitimately worried about defensively. If Kawhi is the only guy that scares them we aren't going to win the title. This will be particularly important if we play Golden State. If Steph is on him he has to make him work to the point where either Steph is taken off him (forcing them to use an elite defender like Klay on him) or Steph is tired out and not able to do as much on offense himself.

Stop with the +/- crap. This isn't hockey.
                              LOL, you really know your stuff. Hockey is like the one sport where +/- is of the least value. While the NBA is the one league with a high enough possession count for +/- to actually have value, especially the adjusted versions we have available.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Its 2019, so I'll just congratulate you and keep it movin

Comment

Working...
                                X