Everything Masai Ujiri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
    Bided his time, stockpiling his assets, until that magic moments when one of those top 10 guys comes along. Then WAP - like a viper!
    Puffer wrote: View Post
    I seem to recall several RR members suggesting this is just what he was doing. Props to Masai for not being stampeded by an impatient fan base. And props to him for having the fortitude to make the right move for the organization when the opportunity came along.
    It's remarkable to think about just how finely the stars needed to align for this deal to go down. If any of the following didn't occur, this trade never happens:

- Kawhi injury
    - Kawhi feuding with the most stable organization in all of pro sports
    - LeBron embarrassing Raptors (again)
    - LeBron signing with Lakers
    - Boston unwilling to let go of Brown
    - Philly unwilling to let go of Fultz

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
      It's remarkable to think about just how finely the stars needed to align for this deal to go down. If any of the following didn't occur, this trade never happens:

- Kawhi injury
      I don't agree on the last point. I don't think Fultz was a piece the Spurs wanted. Best I can figure they would only accept a deal from Philly with Embiid or Simmons included. Fultz is/was damaged goods.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
        I don't agree on the last point. I don't think Fultz was a piece the Spurs wanted. Best I can figure they would only accept a deal from Philly with Embiid or Simmons included. Fultz is/was damaged goods.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
        Sure, but the point remains that the sliver of opportunity was minuscule, and Masai pounced on it without hesitation.

ALL HAIL MASAI!

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
          I seem to recall several RR members suggesting this is just what he was doing. Props to Masai for not being stampeded by an impatient fan base. And props to him for having the fortitude to make the right move for the organization when the opportunity came along.
          I had an entire debate on this topic with McHappy, like 3-4 years ago. At the time, I felt Masai's strategy was going to be building through player development (exceeding their draft position) and using opportunistic trades, rather than tanking and free agency... like the Houston Rockets. Or as Scraptor says.... building from the middle. If Kawhi re-signs, I'm taking a victory lap on that.

Comment

- Kawhi injury
            Uncle Dennis was huge in scaring off other potential bidders and lowering the ultimate selling price.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
              Uncle Dennis was huge in scaring off other potential bidders and lowering the ultimate selling price.
              Thank you Uncle Dennis!!

Comment

• If Kyrie leaves in free agency after the end of this year.. how was that any different from what we did for Kawhi.. yet the narrative is that we were dumb to make the trade.

Boston gave up the #8 pick and Thomas (which was basically their DeMar). I know it was for 2 seasons, not 1.. but Kyrie may jet.. and all rumours are saying that he'd rather play in NY than in Boston. Yet Ainge was heralded as a genius.

I said as soon as the playoffs were over that 2/3rd of the 3-headed DD/Kyle/Casey dragon needed to be chopped off. And Masai did that. He's the GM of the year in my books so far.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                  ...He's the GM of the year in my books so far.
                  Simply for engineering the trade, no matter what happens after this. If the Raps make it to the finals, shoo-in.

Comment

If Kyrie leaves in free agency after the end of this year.. how was that any different from what we did for Kawhi.. yet the narrative is that we were dumb to make the trade.

Boston gave up the #8 pick and Thomas (which was basically their DeMar). I know it was for 2 seasons, not 1.. but Kyrie may jet.. and all rumours are saying that he'd rather play in NY than in Boston. Yet Ainge was heralded as a genius.

I said as soon as the playoffs were over that 2/3rd of the 3-headed DD/Kyle/Casey dragon needed to be chopped off. And Masai did that. He's the GM of the year in my books so far.
                    And to add to this, like Kawhi, Kyrie is also somewhat of an injury risk to gamble on.

Comment

• Now wipe down your tears, lets move on.

Ujiri’s boldest move, he actually tried to trade Derozan for some time now and he had the opportunity that his offer was taken by a team willing to give up a disgruntled true Superstar and arguably one of the best two *way player in the league.

By firing Casey and trading Derozan, he is now drafting his own blueprint to transform this team to a more modern, innovative championship caliber team. At the same he is also putting his own career on the line.

If he can convince Kawhi to stay, then that would be an icing to his cake. If not then he does have appreciable assets and a very bright financial flexiblity to look forward to.

Now I will never doubt that he is more than capable to correct his mistakes.

Job welll done.
                      Last edited by The Claw Reborn; Thu Jul 19, 2018, 02:32 PM.

Comment

And to add to this, like Kawhi, Kyrie is also somewhat of an injury risk to gamble on.
                        Much more so, in fact.

Comment

If Kyrie leaves in free agency after the end of this year.. how was that any different from what we did for Kawhi.. yet the narrative is that we were dumb to make the trade.

SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                          Much more so, in fact.
                          The difference is of course, "why would anyone want to leave Boston?" Combined with, "why would anyone want to stay in Toronto?"

Comment

• Masai presser key points:

- Kawhi physical happening in next few days. He hasn't arrived in Toronto yet.
                            - It's Masai's job to sell the team/city on Kawhi. "We have everything here except a championship"
                            - Masai talked to DeMar at summer league. Admits his mistake might've been telling DeMar "what we expected from him going forward". Likely the point of misunderstanding. Also said "nothing imminent at the time".
                            - In conversations with Kawhi's camp, he has not expressed a lack of desire to play in Canada
                            - Without Kawhi's medical concerns last year, Raps have zero chance of obtaining a player of Kawhi's caliber. Risk is worth it.
                            - Have not talked to Lowry yet, but probably tough for him.
                            - Kawhi's appeal is no-nonsense player who plays on both ends of the floor, with championship experience. But need to get to know him more as an individual.

Comment

Masai presser key points:

- It's Masai's job to sell the team/city on Kawhi. "We have everything here except a championship"
                              - Masai talked to DeMar at summer league. Admits his mistake might've been telling DeMar "what we expected from him going forward". Likely the point of misunderstanding. Also said "nothing imminent at the time".
                              - In conversations with Kawhi's camp, he has not expressed a lack of desire to play in Canada
                              - Without Kawhi's medical concerns last year, Raps have zero chance of obtaining a player of Kawhi's caliber. Risk is worth it.
                              - Kawhi's appeal is no-nonsense player who plays on both ends of the floor, with championship experience. But need to get to know him more as an individual.
                              If that is the case then Derozan’s comprehension is piss poor or his hearing is slightly impaired.

From that statement, Masai never sounded that he fully assured him that he is not being traded.

Always have to hear both sides of the stories.

Comment

Masai presser key points:

A few other interesting quotes (paraphrasing):

"If I didn't do anything, everybody knows what would happen: we'd have a great regular season and then lose in the playoffs. That would be the narrative"

"Not to sound defensive, but I gave DeMar and Casey lots of chances"

"DeMar and Casey were able to leave town on a high horse."

Comment

Working...
                                X