• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lowry for Calderon in a sign and trade!

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
      Full on tank.

I've said this many times: the raptors are JUST good enough as is to not consider a rebuild right now.

I think losing Lowry is a death blow to any finals aspirations.

You trade DD to mismanaged teams (so that they're still bad, Detroit? Milwaukee?) for 1st round picks next year. Then you trade Amir to someone who might not make the playoffs, or will just squeak in next year.

That way you have multiple picks in the next two drafts, and two years left on rookie contracts for JV and Ross.

You also consider trading JV and/or Ross for high picks this year to line up a better championship window.

Then you hope there's a decent draft class next year and in 2016.
      I disagree with tanking in this situation.

While I understand the benefits of tanking, there are no guarentees in the draft. We're not a city like LA, NY, Chicago or Philly; we're not going to attract FA just because of the name value of the city. We'll attract FA if we have a marquee player, like in the VC days or a winning culture.

We don't and won't get a marquee player for the time being, as the market has too many suitors for the Love's or Melo's avaliable.

Even if Lowry leaves though, we can keep that winning culture and attitude.

How? I can't really answer that, as Lowry was integral to our success this year.

My guess is tanking ensures that we won't be stuck in no-mans land, and that's one of your reasons for suggesting this.

I personally would rather keep that culture and attitude of winning alive though. I'd be embarressed to be a Raptors fan if we tanked. I wouldn't be embarressed if we tried and fail. Just try again.

Comment

Stevo wrote: View Post

While I understand the benefits of tanking, there are no guarentees in the draft. We're not a city like LA, NY, Chicago or Philly; we're not going to attract FA just because of the name value of the city. We'll attract FA if we have a marquee player, like in the VC days or a winning culture.

We don't and won't get a marquee player for the time being, as the market has too many suitors for the Love's or Melo's avaliable.

How? I can't really answer that, as Lowry was integral to our success this year.

My guess is tanking ensures that we won't be stuck in no-mans land, and that's one of your reasons for suggesting this.

I personally would rather keep that culture and attitude of winning alive though. I'd be embarressed to be a Raptors fan if we tanked. I wouldn't be embarressed if we tried and fail. Just try again.
        This is where I think optimism crosses the line into magical thinking. If we can't answer how to keep the winning culture alive, then aren't we going to be a losing culture?

Unless we replace Lowry with a far superior player we are almost guaranteed another year with a first-round exit. At that point Demar has one year left on his contract before his player option comes up. We still can't attract another great player with another first-round exit. So we do it again. Demar leaves.

Then what? We've wasted another two years. Now Val and Ross need extensions. They're good enough to keep us mediocre, but not great.

Rinse, lather, repeat.

The patience/opportunistic approach doesn't mean a thing if assets like Lowry depreciate and then leave for nothing. That isn't winning culture, it's treadmill culture. If Lowry leaves it's time for a serious, long-term strategic plan, not the kind of tactical maneuvering that got us stuck in the mud with BC.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
          This is where I think optimism crosses the line into magical thinking. If we can't answer how to keep the winning culture alive, then aren't we going to be a losing culture?

Unless we replace Lowry with a far superior player we are almost guaranteed another year with a first-round exit. At that point Demar has one year left on his contract before his player option comes up. We still can't attract another great player with another first-round exit. So we do it again. Demar leaves.

Then what? We've wasted another two years. Now Val and Ross need extensions. They're good enough to keep us mediocre, but not great.

Rinse, lather, repeat.

The patience/opportunistic approach doesn't mean a thing if assets like Lowry depreciate and then leave for nothing. That isn't winning culture, it's treadmill culture. If Lowry leaves it's time for a serious, long-term strategic plan, not the kind of tactical maneuvering that got us stuck in the mud with BC.
          Losing Lowry doesn't mean we're destined to regress or get stuck in a holding pattern. I see why the current roster dictates that kind of thinking, but the off-season is young and we cannot forgot that JV and Ross have yet to reach their peak potential yet.

Lowry is tough to replace, but we've got a shrewd GM, a young team, and a bunch of players who bought in to the coach's message of playing hard.

We tank and all players basically have to be replaced, with our only hope as banking on a acquring talent via the draft, which of course has no guarentees as previously stated.

It's not just being optimistic; we want guys to want to play here too, y'know.

Would anyone (FA, draft or trade) want to play here if we lost Lowry but retained other members of our core group to a division winning season? Likely a few atleast.

Would anyone (FA, draft or trade) want to play here if we just threw in the towel like Philly? Dude, players on that team were trying to get out.

Giving up before trying is just a poor mentality and a slap in the face to paying customers in general man.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
            I'd actually be very ok with this. Although I'd definitely consider Harris ahead of Stauskas, since that guy can defend.

I'd also consider offering Hayward some kind of contract, but I'd be wary of overpaying.
            Why would you trade derozan but sign Hayward.

Hayward puts up similar numbers as dd but would probably command more money. And they are the same age too. There's absolutely no point in looking to get Hayward if all we are doing is tanking.

I think a lot of people just want derozan gone for no reason
            I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
              Why would you trade derozan but sign Hayward.

Hayward puts up similar numbers as dd but would probably command more money. And they are the same age too. There's absolutely no point in looking to get Hayward if all we are doing is tanking.

I think a lot of people just want derozan gone for no reason

Derozan does have value though, given all that he has achieved this past year. I think that is what people are trying to argue here.
              I know this may be a bit controversial but I think the Raptors have proven that they're the best team in the NBA from Canada
              -random Facebook user. 2016

Comment

YoungGunRaptor wrote: View Post
                Derozan does have value though, given all that he has achieved this past year. I think that is what people are trying to argue here.
                Yea. He first agreed with a straight rebuild everybody gone including dd. than brought up signing goran Hayward. What benefit would goran Hayward give a tanking team.

Like it doesn't make sense, why would you pay more for a player when you have a similar player on your team that you traded away
                I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Losing Lowry doesn't mean we're destined to regress or get stuck in a holding pattern. I see why the current roster dictates that kind of thinking, but the off-season is young and we cannot forgot that JV and Ross have yet to reach their peak potential yet.

Lowry is tough to replace, but we've got a shrewd GM, a young team, and a bunch of players who bought in to the coach's message of playing hard.

We tank and all players basically have to be replaced, with our only hope as banking on a acquring talent via the draft, which of course has no guarentees as previously stated.

It's not just being optimistic; we want guys to want to play here too, y'know.

Would anyone (FA, draft or trade) want to play here if we lost Lowry but retained other members of our core group to a division winning season? Likely a few atleast.

Would anyone (FA, draft or trade) want to play here if we just threw in the towel like Philly? Dude, players on that team were trying to get out.

Giving up before trying is just a poor mentality and a slap in the face to paying customers in general man.
                  I feel like I am one of the few people that aren't really concerned with Lowry leaving to Miami... Think about this:

Lowry was a late first round pick (I think it was in 06), which means the first 4 years of his career probably net him 6-7m in salary max. Then he got a better contract with his improved play, but he was still quite underpaid especially with his drastic improvements over the year, the guy made around 7m last season only. Coming off a career year and being the leader of this Raptors team, Lowry has a high chance to get paid well, and is probably the only time in his career that he will get a big contract considering that he will be on the wrong end of 30 by the end of his upcoming contract. What we know about Lowry is that he is a warrior, but he is also injury prone. He didn't miss much games this past season but I wouldn't doubt that he was playing with an injury. I think a fair contract for him would be 4 years 50m, but the best offer that Miami can put together is probably still 10m short of what I think Lowry deserves to get paid.... And that's under the assumption that 2 of Wade, Bosh, and LeBron will opt out of their contracts. If they don't, then 3 of their salaries combined would have made the estimated salary cap for next year already, and it is almost impossible that Wade will opt out.

I am pretty sure that the rumor with Lowry and the HEAT having mutual interest is true, because Lowry is a quality player in a position where the HEAT needs a lot of help, and the HEAT has LeBron James, who wouldn't want to play with LeBron? But is it worth it for Lowry to take a paycut for a chance to win a championship? Wade is only going to keep declining, and if they do sign Lowry, they won't have much money to improve in other areas, and they have a lot to cover with Battier already announced his retirement, Ray Allen potentially retiring, and Chris Andersnen potentially leaving.

Comment

Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
                    Yea. He first agreed with a straight rebuild everybody gone including dd. than brought up signing goran Hayward. What benefit would goran Hayward give a tanking team.

Like it doesn't make sense, why would you pay more for a player when you have a similar player on your team that you traded away

I agree with you on that. I see no sense in signing Hayward. If I were to go for a FA, I would target Aminu and Jordan Hill so as to deepen our bench and replace Salmons and Hayes. I was just pointing out a possible reason for why people are including Derozan in their potential plans. He is at an all time high in value.

Personally, I see no point in rebuilding now. We have a great core. Upgrade the SF and PF spots, upgrade the bench, and this team continues to grow more and more.

Should Lowry walk, I would go for Bledsoe. He would definitely fit well on this current team. He can run the P&R with JV and Amir, while Derozan remains as shot creator/shot taker. Ross can still provide offence off the bounce and from the corners, and Bledsoe can create easily because of how deadly he is when he drives into the paint.

If we still have the 20th pick, I'd still pick up Payton or Ennis as backup PG, therefore allowing Vasquez to walk. De Colo can come off the bench at SG, and we can bring in a FA SF. Patterson can be put in the starting 5, with Amir coming off the bench (to preserver Amir's health). Upgrade the Backup C, and have the second rounders as reserves.

We can also keep Vasquez and go for Kyle Anderson with the 20th pick. Or we can trade for OKC's pick and also pick up Payton or Ennis.

We are still in business as a team. We have so many options available that wouldn't jeopardize the teams future.
                    I know this may be a bit controversial but I think the Raptors have proven that they're the best team in the NBA from Canada
                    -random Facebook user. 2016

Comment

Look at the Atlantic: The Knicks are a mess, the Nets don't know if KG is retiring -- Pierce is likely leaving, Celtics are rebuilding, so are the Sixers.

Why would a team desperate to create a winning culture do a full rebuild in this environment? IF Lowry goes, the Raps need to find the next best starting point guard available and keep moving. They will not be as good as last season's team without Lowry, but they will be good enough to win the Atlantic multiple years. And that will help attract future free agents.

And before anyone brings up the Hawks, Danny Ferry is not in the same league as Masai. That's how Houston won. That's how Dallas won. They created a culture that attracted free agents, and when the pendulum swung they took advantage of it.

Comment

I have to agree with this. Anyone that says just because Lowry leaves we have to blow it up, is just plain wrong IMO.
                        Let's remember one thing we had this season with this team that won 48 games for us, THEY HAD CHEMISTRY! I don't think MU will be that quick to get rid of the likes of DD, Amir, JV, Ross and whomever just because he lost his PG. If within the next week he feels he may lose Kyle, then maybe he drafts a PG or moves up to grab one of the better ones. I believe that keeping most of the core together is integral in getting this team to the next step, whether that means taking a step back this year if Lowry bolts or not.

Comment

If we keep derozan and font sign Hayward, we don't get that extra draft pick. In a tank, those can be useful.

I was just brainstorming.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
                          "Bruno?
                          Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                          He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Bledsoe and Dragic will likely not be options. Even lower chances now with this new rumor

The Sacramento Kings are looking to make some big moves this offseason and they have already been talking about a trade that would change their future in a big way. According to a report from Jake Fischer of the Boston Globe, the Kings have offered a trade to the Phoenix Suns that included guard Eric Bledsoe. Fischer mentioned that the trade offer was the #8 overall pick in the draft and Isaiah Thomas.

One source even mentioned Sacramento offering a feeler trade to Phoenix last weekend of No. 8 and Isaiah Thomas for Eric Bledsoe.
                            — Jake Fischer (@JakeLFischer) June 18, 2014
                            #8 and Isaiah for Bledsoe, I'd take that if I were the Suns. Not sure why they'd want Isaiah though, maybe parlay him to a 3rd team.

Comment

If Lowry goes, the Raps need a PG with an outside shot, good passing ability and leadership abilities. Isn't that the job description of ALL point guards? It obviously isn't easy to replace Lowry, arguably top 5-7 in the PG spot, but is there no one in the draft who could conceivably be top 15 in the next three years? I think that is what they should be looking for.

If they go into next season with JV, Ross, Amir, DeMar, Vasquez, Nando, Fields, Patterson, as has been mentioned, they have the core of a passing team with outside shooting. They have average rebounding. They have continuity and the much vaunted chemistry. And they have an opportunity for internal growth. All of those guys will have a reasonable opportunity to improve. Ross, JV and maybe (fingers crossed) Fields quite a bit. If they can get a PG from the draft, either through luck of trading up a bit, they don't need to regress.

When Lowry was out this past season, the team held it's own. I don't think there is any need to tear it down. Keep building incrementally with an eye towards 2016, when they have some capo space, and work on maintaining a solid core of hard working, ball moving players.

Comment

Yeah core of hard-working players isn't gonna get it done in the NBA.

Still need high-level talent.

Comment

Working...
                                X