Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Oooh boy it will be fun to watch Wiggins on team Canada
    Really ? I think it would be more fun watching guys like Nik Stauskas play for Canada ... Wiggins when he played for Team Canada in his Jr days didn't exactly light it up when he was playing against piers around the world ... I don't think his present game would translate to sucess to the international game .. Although his defense and athletic abilties may really help in stopping the other teams star ..

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
      In the recent past we had some personnel problems and lack of talent depth, now we have depth but it is very young. There needs to be a core that grows together in order for the team to achieve regular success. I think this summer will be a big one even though we are not playing for anything. Getting our guys together and having them bond and play without the pressures of having to qualify or medal in any event will allow them to relax and learn. I just hope most of the key guys are there.
      I am not a big fan of our coach Jay Triano and wish he wasn't hired and thought it seemed like Leo with less talent at least got his team to the World's ...

Comment

guyroch wrote: View Post
        I am not a big fan of our coach Jay Triano and wish he wasn't hired and thought it seemed like Leo with less talent at least got his team to the World's ...
        Canada got to the world championship in 2010 under Leo Rautins because of an additional tournament for FIBA teams preceding the tournament where by four teams from a group of non qualifiers got a wild card spot at the championship.

For the 2014 championship, FIBA put those extra "wild card" spots up to the highest bidders, those non qualifying countries with the most $$ in sponsorship and TV deals. Brazil, which did not win a game at FIBA Americas last summer, was awarded a wild card along with Greece, Finland, and Turkey.
        Last edited by stretch; Mon Jun 23, 2014, 02:13 PM.

Comment

guyroch wrote: View Post
          I liked Leo as a coach, I thought he did well with what he had. Jay will be fine once he has a roster that has the right combination of international experience with youth and veterans.
          Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

FIBA Americas is broadcasting the games on their home page:

http://fibaamericas.com/en/

The Canada/Argentina semi final should be on at 5:15 Eastern time.

Comment

They have already punched their ticket to Worlds, but if they win today they will face the winner of the other semi for gold.....more than likely the USA.
              Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

I liked Leo as a coach, I thought he did well with what he had. Jay will be fine once he has a roster that has the right combination of international experience with youth and veterans.
                All I know is Steve Nash has made many coaches look like geniuses while he has played and Jay can be put on that list ...

Comment

Brooks is looking really solid in this game. Couple other players as well, but he is really standing out.

Comment

Two man team, Brooks and Gill Caesar. Today's game went to overtime. The US doubled the score on Argentina yesterday.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                      Two man team, Brooks and Gill Caesar. Today's game went to overtime. The US doubled the score on Argentina yesterday.
                      At the Junior age levels it will be hard to beat the US, their player pool depth is just too much right now, but we are showing consistency and that is huge.
                      Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

This is really good. Finally, Canada is investing well in team sports other than hockey. It all starts with the grassroots/juniors. The seed has been planted in the last FIBA Americas. They had a decent showing despite not qualifying. Most of the members of that team are young, and there are some key differences in FIBA rules and NBA rules.

IN the last FIBA Americas, they lacked a perimeter scorer (Andrew Nicholson led the team in scoring). So if they're gonna have Stauskas, Wiggins, Bennett, Ennis, that could be lethal.

Comment

The U.S get regularly challenged in junior tournaments by the top European teams. Can recall two very entertaining games against Serbia last year. They've lost a few world championships in U/19 in recent memory.
                          Will take a lot more than having a bunch of NBA players for Canada to be a good international team, but yeh that's already been said above. The same guys consistently turning out year after year and building a strong foundation is a must. Or else you'll just be like France. I always felt they should do better in International tournaments, full of NBA players, look good on paper but don't really do much. Although they went okay in London.

Comment

At the Junior age levels it will be hard to beat the US, their player pool depth is just too much right now, but we are showing consistency and that is huge.
                            It must be hard for the Americans to pick a team with how vast their country is and how many under 18 players are playing in the U.S at that age group ..

The one thing about the present Day Jr Canadians, is with AUU programs and some Canadians playing in U.S High Schools it means they won't be intiminated by their opponent and their is no " unknown factor " cause they have gone against these guys on a regular basis ..

Comment

BigCamB wrote: View Post
                              The U.S get regularly challenged in junior tournaments by the top European teams. Can recall two very entertaining games against Serbia last year. They've lost a few world championships in U/19 in recent memory.
                              Will take a lot more than having a bunch of NBA players for Canada to be a good international team, but yeh that's already been said above. The same guys consistently turning out year after year and building a strong foundation is a must. Or else you'll just be like France. I always felt they should do better in International tournaments, full of NBA players, look good on paper but don't really do much. Although they went okay in London.
                              France is the reigning European Champion, and that is a huge accomplishment, so I would say good on paper and good on the floor. They took silver at the same championships in 2001 and were 5th place finishers at worlds in 2006.
                              Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

2KJ wrote: View Post
                                This is really good. Finally, Canada is investing well in team sports other than hockey. It all starts with the grassroots/juniors. The seed has been planted in the last FIBA Americas. They had a decent showing despite not qualifying. Most of the members of that team are young, and there are some key differences in FIBA rules and NBA rules.

IN the last FIBA Americas, they lacked a perimeter scorer (Andrew Nicholson led the team in scoring). So if they're gonna have Stauskas, Wiggins, Bennett, Ennis, that could be lethal.
                                In the FIBA Americas championship last summer the Canadian team did have a perimeter scorer in Brady Heslip who is a better shooter than Stauskas and the others you mentioned.

Comment

Working...
                                X