Hibbert?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letter N wrote: View Post
    But you really don't want to go into a playoff series without a big man, and he happens to be the biggest man in the league.

Professional ball isn't that different from the playground, the team with the biggest guy usually wins.
    Tell that to Miami, the last two years.

He's tall for nothing. Cannot rebound to save his life.

Comment

mjt20mik wrote: View Post
      Tell that to Miami, the last two years.

He's tall for nothing. Cannot rebound to save his life.
      Tell that to the 2 teams that beat Miami by relying significantly on their not-so-highly skilled big men (Chandler, Dampier and Splitter) on the defensive end. As well as the team's that came closest to beating them, Celtics (Perkins) and Pacers (Hibbert).

There's a reason unskilled big guys like Perkins, Splitter, Kaman, etc always got and continue to get big paycheques, they help you win the games that matter.

Comment

Tell that to the 2 teams that beat Miami by relying significantly on their not-so-highly skilled big men (Chandler, Dampier and Splitter) on the defensive end. As well as the team's that came closest to beating them, Celtics (Perkins) and Pacers (Hibbert).

There's a reason unskilled big guys like Perkins, Splitter, Kaman, etc always got and continue to get big paycheques, they help you win the games that matter.
        I don't understand how this relates to Hibbert? He is immensely talented (more so than everyone you have listed), but he checks out.

Those guys aren't main points of their team, Hibbert is. He basically choked this year, and this is why I am saying he is not as good as people make it out to be. Not because of talent, but because of his mental toughness and attitude.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
          A month? What? Hibbert's entire game and psyche completely fell apart over the course of more than half the season.
          In January he shot 42% with 6.9 rebounds per game.
          February 46% and 7.1.
          March 42% and 4.2.
          April 24% and 3.2.
          Then in the playoffs he shot 45% with 5.5 rebounds per game.

He makes over $30 million the next two years. And we have a young, talented centre who needs all the reps he can get. Unless we're moving JV for the likes of Kevin Love, and getting Hibbert super super cheap, it makes no sense.
          no one is saying to replace JV with hibbert. nor am i saying he should join the raptors. just hilarious how peoples opinions change after a short stint in poor performance. i guess ross must hugely suck now too since he was awful in the playoffs. lets get rid of him!

Comment

No. And the major reason is "why is Larry Bird & the Pacers willing to let him go".

The Pacers rarely make a big mistake on talent so there must be something that is seemingly irreversible about his stay in Indy. Portland who actually gave him the contract which was matched by Indy seems to uninterested as well (Lopez does the job much more cheaply).

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
              No. And the major reason is "why is Larry Bird & the Pacers willing to let him go".

The Pacers rarely make a big mistake on talent so there must be something that is seemingly irreversible about his stay in Indy. Portland who actually gave him the contract which was matched by Indy seems to uninterested as well (Lopez does the job much more cheaply).
              Kawhi leanard comes to mind

Next step. Compare these non skilled big mans salaries to hibbert. Would much rather have a cheap unskilled big man than hibwbeert anyday

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk
              I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
                no one is saying to replace JV with hibbert. nor am i saying he should join the raptors. just hilarious how peoples opinions change after a short stint in poor performance. i guess ross must hugely suck now too since he was awful in the playoffs. lets get rid of him!
                Ross was a 2nd year player, not a previous Allstar with a max contract. Expectations change relative to your careers context.
                The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                  Ross was a 2nd year player, not a previous Allstar with a max contract. Expectations change relative to your careers context.
                  paul george was also playing piss poor for several months. are you saying paul george also sucks now then? he was an all-star with max as well.

Comment

Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
                    Kawhi leanard comes to mind

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk
                    Kawhi was traded draft night for George Hill an established player and guard who the Pacers wanted/needed. Leonard by all accounts had a very flawed shot coming out and was more noted as a defensive player. Give the Spurs more credit for taking the chance. And I am unsure if the pick was really not done at the Spurs request (with the trade already agreed upon). If true, it is ironic that a similar trade agreement was in place with the Raptors picking Hibbert for the Pacers in his draft year.

Comment

paul george was also playing piss poor for several months. are you saying paul george also sucks now then? he was an all-star with max as well.
                      How many doughnuts did PG bake? Hibbert wasn't just playing 'piss poor,' his boxscores looked like my honey nut cheerios.
                      The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                        How many doughnuts did PG bake? Hibbert wasn't just playing 'piss poor,' his boxscores looked like my honey nut cheerios.
                        The whole team looked wrong. Hibbert not setting good screens effects George, Lance doing Lance things even more as PG is less effective. Hill gets affected. Something was wrong in the locker room.

Comment

Pele wrote: View Post
                          http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/7/6...umors-nba-2014

I don't suppose the Pacers would straight up trade for Amir. However, is there anything the Raps could put together to make it a go.....and would it be worth trying?
                          Hibbert for Amir... Much rather keep Amir. Don't think Toronto fans can stomach another expensive dud..

Comment

Some people's opinions don't change. Always thought Hibbert was quite overrated. I liked him as a prospect coming into the league, but mostly in the sense that getting a legit starting C in the mid-late first round is a steal. Thought he'd at best be a bit above average...and I don't think he's there...think he's fully average because how mediocre he is at everything except rim protection really offsets what he gives you there. Also, if you watch him enough, he's not very good defensively in any other way. Not a great post defender at all...can't guard p'n'r either. Can't balance protecting the basket and D-ing up his own man if his man can score. It's pretty common if he's facing a team with a decent offensive C, he hesitates a lot, being unsure of whether to leave his man to help or not.

I never thought he was a good comparison for Jonas, and hated when people made the comparison. The only thing they both do is that the Raps staff is getting Jonas to work hard on vertical contests rather than swiping for a block. Nothing else about JV's game looks like Hibbert's. They have different bodies and skill sets.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post

It seems like everyone who leaves the Pacers suddenly gets better. Look at players they traded or let go over the last few years, vast majority of them got better after leaving. And most people they signed over the last few years were better before joining the Pacers. Pacers are the low point for most players. I'm sure part of it is Vogel's offensive shortcomings.

Remember that Plumlee/pick/Gerald Green for Scola trade last summer? A calamity, one of the worst trades in recent memory that didn't involve an all star.

I wouldn't avoid a trade just because Larry Bird wants to do it.

Hibbert is a far better defender than Lopez. But obviously this wouldn't be a Lopez-Hibbert trade, and that's the problem. The Blazers aren't going to move Aldridge for Hibbert, they probably aren't even going to give up Batum.

Same reason why it's not feasible for the Raptors.
                              Last edited by BobLoblaw; Mon Jul 7, 2014, 03:58 PM.

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
                                It seems like everyone who leaves the Pacers suddenly gets better. Look at players they traded or let go over the last few years, vast majority of them got better after leaving. And most people they signed over the last few years were better before joining the Pacers. Pacers are the low point for most players. I'm sure part of it is Vogel's offensive shortcomings.

Remember that Plumlee/pick/Gerald Green for Scola trade last summer? A calamity, one of the worst trades in recent memory that didn't involve an all star.

I wouldn't avoid a trade just because Larry Bird wants to do it.

Hibbert is a far better defender than Lopez. But obviously this wouldn't be a Lopez-Hibbert trade, and that's the problem. The Blazers aren't going to move Aldridge for Hibbert, they probably aren't even going to give up Batum.

Same reason why it's not feasible for the Raptors.
                                On bolds...agree....with caveat that Scola was acquired as a piece to put them over the top (so he paid the price) but he regressed/did not perform/not used properly...saw him miss shots that were automatic in his career.

As my post suggests I also believe that Hibbert is being shopped possibly because of locker room/head issues. As we all know the season started out with a bang and then.... personally I tend to put much weight on the mental strengths of players at this level given some parameters for actual talent of course.

Did Hibbert lose his physical talents over the course of the season? I think not. I am however suggesting that a combination of Bird, Donnie Walsh and Kevin Pritchard and Vogel have seemingly determined that their linchpin centre needs to go and I would be careful of dealing for H. And this reasoning is not restricted to the Raptors

Comment

Working...
                                X