Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptors Salary Cap Situation (and planning for the future)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post
    30.5 million.
    That is craaaazy.

Going to take some time to get use to these new numbers.

Comment

• That's a starting salary too. If a player were to re-sign with their own team for 5 years, annual average value would be 35M, finishing with a 39.7M salary in the final year.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• MJ came too early. Mad money
        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• MJ made 30M a year at the end of his Bulls career. That was in a 30M or so cap, too. Ah, the age of no-max contracts.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
            MJ came too early. Mad money
            If I recall correctly, he made more than some whole teams' salary. He'd be making less money now.
            "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
            "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• Just Is wrote: View Post
              If I recall correctly, he made more than some whole teams' salary. He'd be making less money now.
              He's still the highest earning player or least one of the highest, I think due to endorsements

Comment

• KD is an aspiration, not going to happen, it would turn the team into OKC without the talent base. JV is not the panacea to your problems, Bruno, please nice kid everyone wants him to do well, he is now 2 years from 1 year. He has talent but not enough. BEBE is a backup to JV at best.
                KL for one season and he is jumping and you dont have DD to score like James Hardin did when KD and Russell were playing together, so what do you have a group of lonely fans who talking stuff, that is not viable.
                Will we call the team KD and his Merry Raptors, because that is what the team looks like.
                Oh yeah, we hope we get Jamal Murray, so as a rookie he melds right away with KD , because than we dont have KL, DD, PpAT, I think if that happens, we will have what the KNICKS has with Bernard King near the end of his career. A talented player who could not lead his TEAM to the promise land.

Comment

• Heatdreamer wrote: View Post
                  KD is an aspiration, not going to happen, it would turn the team into OKC without the talent base. JV is not the panacea to your problems, Bruno, please nice kid everyone wants him to do well, he is now 2 years from 1 year. He has talent but not enough. BEBE is a backup to JV at best.
                  KL for one season and he is jumping and you dont have DD to score like James Hardin did when KD and Russell were playing together, so what do you have a group of lonely fans who talking stuff, that is not viable.
                  Will we call the team KD and his Merry Raptors, because that is what the team looks like.
                  Oh yeah, we hope we get Jamal Murray, so as a rookie he melds right away with KD , because than we dont have KL, DD, PpAT, I think if that happens, we will have what the KNICKS has with Bernard King near the end of his career. A talented player who could not lead his TEAM to the promise land.
                  You are not a dreamer.

Go back to Miami!

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                    planetmars and Axel did great job breaking down the whole "how to sign KD/max free agent". I think based on posts below, if given choice to gut team to keep DeMar or just renounce him and sign KD in cap space, parting ways with DD is the best option.

So with that out of the way, lets make the assumption KD signs in 2016 with a big selling point being max room again in 2017. How can that happen? Who, from current core, would need to go? Lowry? Patterson? BRUNO!?!??! NO! Not BRUNO!

Players salary for 2017-2018:

KD - $26.3M
                    Carroll - $14.8M
                    JV - $15.5M
                    Joseph - $7.6M
                    Bebe - $2.9M
                    Bruno - $2.5M
                    Wright - $1.6M
                    2016 NY/DEN - $2.9M (7th)
                    2016 Raps - $1.3M (20th)

Total guaranteed - $75.4

Players with options or expiring:

Lowry - $12M player option or $18M cap hold
                    PP - $9.1M cap hold
                    Powell - $1M non-guaranteed

With the salary cap around $108M, a max contract is going to about $30M.

Add a max contract on to $75.4M and we are looking at $105M with about $3M left in cap space which would account for cap holds and could pick up Powell.

So you could sign a max contract but lose Lowry and PP. It will be interesting to see what happens with that Knicks/Nuggets pick. If they draft, say, Jamal Murray, is losing Lowry a big deal? What if they draft a dominant PF?

However, IF, and it is a big IF, Lowry opted in to his contract, that would put Raptors at $87.4M. Hypothetically if the Raptors had traded their OWN 2016 pick, that takes down to $86.1M leaving Raptors $21.9M to offer. If the free agent signed a 2 year deal with player option for 3rd, they would be able to sign for 130%, which would take up to just shy of max at $28.5M.

But that is too much risk and faith for most of the players involved. Odds are very unlikely any of that transpires... and very unlikely means non-existent. But with Masai and KD's connections to Ibaka, maybe, just maybe..... nah.

I guess most likely outcome if looking to sign a max contract again in 2017 is Lowry and Patterson will be gone which explains current depth with Joseph and Wright.

Interesting times.

This was likely a gigantic waste of my time but always better to waste time on RR than elsewhere.
                    if we sign KD to a 26 million dollar deal, I doubt we go after anyone for more than KDs salary, as we would have to assume that a guy like Ibaka would welcome playing with his play with KD again.

So you are probably looking at adding a secondary guy at 22-25 million range.

So you are msot likely looking at the removal of either Lowry or Joseph(depending on who performs) and either a new contract at less than caphold for Ppat or byebye ppat.

I think in 2017 (provided we get KD) we see some new strutured contracts for either Lowry or Ppat.

Comment

• Heatdreamer wrote: View Post
                      KD is an aspiration, not going to happen, it would turn the team into OKC without the talent base. JV is not the panacea to your problems, Bruno, please nice kid everyone wants him to do well, he is now 2 years from 1 year. He has talent but not enough. BEBE is a backup to JV at best.
                      we would have KL - Allstar pg who will fit well off ball with KD
                      we would have DC - one of the best wings (realistically) to play alongside of KD in the league imo
                      We would have JV
                      We would have Depth
                      We would have assets
                      we would have future capspace felxibility

Comment

• For reference:

DeRozan's max if he signs in Toronto: 25.1M, 27.0M, 28.9M, 30.8M, 32.7M -> 144.6M over 5 years, 28.9M per year.
                        DeRozan's max if he signs elsewhere: 25.1M, 26.3M, 27.4M, 28.5M -> 107.4M over 4 years, 26.8M per year.
                        DeRozan signing a 4 year deal starting at 22M: 22.0M, 23.0M, 24.0M, 25.0M -> 93.9M over 4 years, 23.5M per year.
                        DeRozan signing a 4 year deal starting at 20M: 20.0M, 20.9M, 21.8M, 22.7M -> 85.4M over 4 years, 21.4M per year.
                        DeRozan signing a 4 year deal starting at 15M: 15.0M, 15.7M, 16.4M, 17.0M -> 64.1M over 4 years, 16.0M per year.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Excuse my cap knowledge noobness, but can't the raps go over the cap a touch? So what if there's a tax, you have a serious chance of winning a NBA championship, and acquire a legit superstar.

I'm just going to sit here imagining a lineup of Lowry, DD, KD, Carroll, & JV. With Biyombo, PP, Scola, & Cory still in the picture.

Comment

• oseebhai wrote: View Post
                            Excuse my cap knowledge noobness, but can't the raps go over the cap a touch? So what if there's a tax, you have a serious chance of winning a NBA championship, and acquire a legit superstar.

I'm just going to sit here imagining a lineup of Lowry, DD, KD, Carroll, & JV. With Biyombo, PP, Scola, & Cory still in the picture.
                            Can trade for more salary but its limited. Can't just decide to go into the luxury unless it's your own players with Bird rights

Comment

• oseebhai wrote: View Post
                              Excuse my cap knowledge noobness, but can't the raps go over the cap a touch? So what if there's a tax, you have a serious chance of winning a NBA championship, and acquire a legit superstar.

Yes, they can go over the cap, but you need cap space to sign free agents. So they cannot go over the cap to sign Durant. They can go over the cap to keep their own free agents, sign draft picks, and make somewhat lopsided trades.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                                Yes, they can go over the cap, but you need cap space to sign free agents. So they cannot go over the cap to sign Durant. They can go over the cap to keep their own free agents, sign draft picks, and make somewhat lopsided trades.
                                So if we were to sign Durant first, we could then go over the cap to resign DD and our draft picks?

Comment

Working...
                                X