Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptors Salary Cap Situation (and planning for the future)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post
    Spotrac is a garbage site that just recycles information from other sites, it's their entire model. Please don't use it, as you are taking page views from the sites that generate the information (used to be Sham, and since his seeming retirement, Basketball Insiders).

So, yes, he has a player option.
    Used to use Shamsports, they've been down. Didn't know BI was just as reliable so I guess I'll use that from now on.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
      Used to use Shamsports, they've been down. Didn't know BI was just as reliable so I guess I'll use that from now on.
      They've improved a LOT since Sham went down. I suspect some sharing of sources when he got out of the game. But yes, they are basically the only game in town now.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

2016/17:

Jonas Valanciunas $14,382,024
        DeMarre Carroll $14,200,000
        Kyle Lowry $12,000,000
        Terrence Ross $10,000,000
        Cory Joseph $7,315,000
        Patrick Patterson $6,050,000
        Lucas Nogueira (BeBe) $1,921,320
        Bruno Caboclo $1,589,640
        Delon Wright $1,577,280
        Norman Powell $874,636

Cap holds:

DeMar DeRozan $15,075,000 (assuming he opts out of his player option)
        Luis Scola $3,480,000
        James Johnson $4,750,000
        Bismack Biyombo $3,376,800 (assuming he opts out of his player option)
        Nando de Colo $1,901,900 (cap hold; $1,828,750 QO)
        TOR 2016 1st round pick $1,301,900 (assumed 20th pick)
        NYK 2016 1st round pick $2,140,500 (assumed 10th pick)

Above roster, if all free agents are let go: $73,895,771

This equates to 15.2M in cap room. The 7-9 year vet max is 25.1M.

2017/18:

Jonas Valanciunas $15,460,675
        DeMarre Carroll $14,800,000
        Terrence Ross $10,500,000
        Cory Joseph $7,630,000
        Lucas Nogueira (BeBe) $2,947,305
        Bruno Caboclo $2,451,225
        Delon Wright $1,645,200
        Norman Powell $1,014,746 (unguaranteed)
        TOR 2016 1st round pick $1,632,480 (assumed 20th pick)
        NYK 2016 1st round pick $2,684,160 (assumed 10th pick)

Cap holds:

Kyle Lowry $18,000,000 (if he opts out)
        Patrick Patterson $9,075,000
        TOR 2017 1st round pick $1,347,400 (assumed 20th pick)
        LAC 2017 1st round pick $1,098,700 (assumed 25th pick)

Above roster, if all free agents are let go: $63,211,891

This equates to 44.8M in cap room, with three spots to fill. The 7-9 year vet max is 30.5M, the 10+ year max is 35.6M.

Any salary added in 2016 that will extend into 2017 gets taken away from that cap room. Sign DD to a 20M flat deal, that 44.8M drops to 24.8M, less than the RFA max. Sign him to an even bigger deal and it obviously drops even lower.

And that assumes Lowry walks, and Patterson, and anyone else signed in summer 2016 is only for a year.

Obviously trades could, and probably should, happen between now and then, and that could free up (or tie up) salary in various ways.

Raptors are essentially at the new cap with DD's cap hold.

Without significant shake up before trade deadline or draft night, free agency 2016 is not going to feature the Raptors as a lead player - unless sign and trade is the route the Raptors go to land a big fish.

It will be interesting to see what happens next with the Raptors.

Comment

• Probably not a huge deal but I just realized that Carroll+2Pat in a sign and trade could bring a max player back the other way. FWIW

Comment

Probably not a huge deal but I just realized that Carroll+2Pat in a sign and trade could bring a max player back the other way. FWIW
            So would.....

JV/Ross

DD alone

Comment

• JV/2Pat
              Carroll/Ross
              Lowry/Ross

... could also be traded for a max player.

Comment

• Not to mention any number of smaller combinations added to guys on rookie scale deals. The possible combinations are endless. The only thing to take out of this is that Masai has loads of trade flexibility.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Not to mention any number of smaller combinations added to guys on rookie scale deals. The possible combinations are endless. The only thing to take out of this is that Masai has loads of trade flexibility.
                  ...and little traditional free agency.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                    ...and little traditional free agency.
                    Barring of course whatever happens before the deadline and at the draft. This last season we entered the draft with an interesting amount of cap room but no chance of chasing a big name. Ended up with max cap room and a sit down with LMA.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                      So would.....

JV/Ross

DD alone
                      Not sure about DD cause he'd have to want to go to the team we're S&Ting with which makes it tricky.

Comment

Barring of course whatever happens before the deadline and at the draft. This last season we entered the draft with an interesting amount of cap room but no chance of chasing a big name. Ended up with max cap room and a sit down with LMA.
                        I'm expecting 2pat to get Vasquez'd if the plan isn't to use him in a S&T.

Comment

I'm expecting 2pat to get Vasquez'd if the plan isn't to use him in a S&T.
                          Largely depends on if the Raps figure out how to use him properly or not.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Largely depends on if the Raps figure out how to use him properly or not.
                            Let's be real lol we're almost halfway into the season and are still throwing him out there without the two guys he plays best with... I don't see that changing unless Scola starts playing like shit.

Comment

• In Lowe's most recent post about the deadline, we get the first solid update to the projected 89M cap level this summer. Seems most teams are using 92M as an expected level now. Whether that comes from the league, not sure, but 92M it is.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• 92M, interesting. Any idea what "raised" the projections?

Doesn't change a whole lot for us though. Just slightly increases how much DeMar can make.

Comment

Working...
                                X