Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptors Salary Cap Situation (and planning for the future)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post
    We have Biz's rights, and Scola's. But just their player rights, not Bird or Early Bird rights (require 3 and 2 years of service, respectively). So we can offer a 4 year deal, but only at a very slight raise over their current salary (so essentially can offer each of them 3M per year).

James Johnson has his Early Bird rights, so we can offer a 4 year deal at 1.75 times his current salary, so just under 5M.

DeRozan has his full Bird Rights, so we can offer 5 years at the max salary.

If you want to offer any of those first three more than those amounts, you need another exception (like the MLE) or cap space to do so.

Short answer, yes, the reason the team will likely not stay together is that Biz and possibly Scola will want more money than we can offer them to come back.
    dang, so even if we were to free up cap space somehow, we couldn't offer Biz a fair deal eh? Not hung up on Biz, just trying to understand how this works.

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
      dang, so even if we were to free up cap space somehow, we couldn't offer Biz a fair deal eh? Not hung up on Biz, just trying to understand how this works.
      No, if we have cap space, we can offer it to any free agent, even our own.

The rights to a player allow you to ignore whether you have cap room or not, up to a limit (the limits I posted above). So if we have cap room we certainly can use it on Biz. But, for example, we can offer DeMar the max even if we are way over the cap, because of those rights we have for him. So with Biz, we can offer him a 3M per year deal even if we are way over the cap. But to offer more we need an exception or cap space to do so.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Oops, double post.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Will we find ourselves in a similar situation down the road with Norm Powell?

Comment

Will we find ourselves in a similar situation down the road with Norm Powell?
            We have Powell signed to a 3 year deal. Once it is up, we will have his full Bird Rights and his RFA rights, so we can match any offer made to him and can offer him up to the maximum salary and 5 years.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

We have Powell signed to a 3 year deal. Once it is up, we will have his full Bird Rights and his RFA rights, so we can match any offer made to him and can offer him up to the maximum salary and 5 years.
              Oh good. Would it be full bird rights for drafted players and resigned RFAs, but not for UFAs? Thanks for the help btw.

Comment

Oh good. Would it be full bird rights for drafted players and resigned RFAs, but not for UFAs? Thanks for the help btw.
                Player rights are based on term with the team (or term in which the player only changed teams via trade, not free agency).

So we have had Biyombo and Scola for only one year, and they signed via free agency, so we have only their player rights.

James Johnson signed via FA two years ago, so he gets early Bird Rights.

DeMar has been with the team for at least three years, so we have his full Bird Rights.

Biyombo's a great example. If he was to sign a one year deal with us using the mid-level and become a free agent again the following summer, he'll have two consecutive years with the team. So he'd then have his early Bird Rights with us, just like JJ does now.

Similarly, when we traded for Lowry, he had less than three years left on his deal. But because he was traded, the earlier portion of his contract essentially came with him, meaning he had three years of service with the team in spite of him getting traded to us partway through that deal. That allowed us to use his full Bird Rights to sign him to the deal he is on now.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Dan,

Accepting the salary cap for 2016/17 of $92 MM with the expectation that James Johnson will not be back. If Powell has stepped up to be at least a solid backup for Carroll. The Raptors reach out and make the trade of the 1st round pick for a future 1st round pick in 2018, clearing $1.5 MM from the cap space from the 11 person roster including the Knicks pick for 2016/17.

The cap hold of DeRozan is almost $14.8 MM makes 12 person Roster , so who does the Team add that would be beneficial to have Biyombo to stay and than give him a Whiteside Lite contract in 2017/18.

Comment

• DD cap hold is probably 15.1M (it will depend on exactly which incentives he hits this year).

Right now the team is lined up for almost exactly 89M in committed salary. So removing 1.5M and the cap rising to 92M means less than 5M in cap room. In other words, might as well just operate over the cap and use the MLE to try (and fail) to re-sign Biyombo.

I'm not sure I fully understood the question.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DD cap hold is probably 15.1M (it will depend on exactly which incentives he hits this year).

Right now the team is lined up for almost exactly 89M in committed salary. So removing 1.5M and the cap rising to 92M means less than 5M in cap room. In other words, might as well just operate over the cap and use the MLE to try (and fail) to re-sign Biyombo.

I'm not sure I fully understood the question.
                      if we were to make both our picks, we would be able to mle bismack? personally i think bismack is in the best situation for him to succeed. what do you think his value would be in the open market?

is the mle cba locked? would it realistically raise in the next cba agreement with the higher cap?

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                        if we were to make both our picks, we would be able to mle bismack? personally i think bismack is in the best situation for him to succeed. what do you think his value would be in the open market?

is the mle cba locked? would it realistically raise in the next cba agreement with the higher cap?
                        MLE is CBA locked. The values can change with the next CBA agreement, and they probably will with the cap being so different.

I think Bismack's value on the market is probably about 10M per year. So the MLE (6M) is a pretty significant pay cut. I doubt he stays, though it would obviously be great to get him on a cheap deal like that, even if for just a year (one more year and we'd have his Early Bird Rights and could offer him that 10M per year deal).
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Oh, and we have the MLE regardless of what other picks we sign. So long as the team is operating over the cap (and not in the tax) we have the full MLE.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Oh, and we have the MLE regardless of what other picks we sign. So long as the team is operating over the cap (and not in the tax) we have the full MLE.
                            i meant if the two picks by themselves allow us to use the mle. i don't know what the dollar numbers of the 9th and 27th picks are.

thank you

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                              i meant if the two picks by themselves allow us to use the mle. i don't know what the dollar numbers of the 9th and 27th picks are.

thank you
                              I don't understand the question. Whether we have the picks or not, we can use the MLE. The two are completely unrelated.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I don't understand the question. Whether we have the picks or not, we can use the MLE. The two are completely unrelated.
                                maybe i am an idiot. i thought that we needed to go above one cap before the mle becomes usable and whether the two picks by themselves bring us over that number. wondering if maybe there isn't a free agent signing in our future this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X