Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptors Salary Cap Situation (and planning for the future)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ah. Here's how it works. At the very start of the summer, teams are judged to be under or over the cap. We will be over the cap, with DeMar's cap hold, JJ's cap hold, small cap holds for Biyombo and Scola and Thompson, and cap holds for our draft picks, and a cap hold for the full MLE (yes, the MLE has a cap hold, essentially). If all those things make the team 1 dollar over the cap, they have the full MLE to use, so long as they don't dip under the cap before they use the MLE. As it stands, all those things make the team 10+M over the cap, so we fairly easily have the full MLE.

So, you are right, we need to be above the cap to use the MLE. But we don't need to "go" over the cap, we need to stay over the cap. If we ever drop below the cap, even for a second, we don't get the MLE.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
      Ah. Here's how it works. At the very start of the summer, teams are judged to be under or over the cap. We will be over the cap, with DeMar's cap hold, JJ's cap hold, small cap holds for Biyombo and Scola and Thompson, and cap holds for our draft picks, and a cap hold for the full MLE (yes, the MLE has a cap hold, essentially). If all those things make the team 1 dollar over the cap, they have the full MLE to use, so long as they don't dip under the cap before they use the MLE. As it stands, all those things make the team 10+M over the cap, so we fairly easily have the full MLE.

So, you are right, we need to be above the cap to use the MLE. But we don't need to "go" over the cap, we need to stay over the cap. If we ever drop below the cap, even for a second, we don't get the MLE.
      MLE and resigning our guys that we have bird rights on the only way to operate over the cap correct?

And some trades if I remember correctly.

So barring a trade if we use the MLE on Biyombo (assuming he agrees), then we essentially keep the same team we have now

Comment

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
        MLE and resigning our guys that we have bird rights on the only way to operate over the cap correct?

And some trades if I remember correctly.

So barring a trade if we use the MLE on Biyombo (assuming he agrees), then we essentially keep the same team we have now
        Yep. And barring letting every free agent walk, we won't really have cap space either.

Trades will be where any real change happens.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Yep. And barring letting every free agent walk, we won't really have cap space either.

Trades will be where any real change happens.
          Anyone you have your eyes on trade-wise?

Comment

Anyone you have your eyes on trade-wise?
            Tough to tell who will be available. I will say that IF Horford and/or Durant leave their teams, I go hunting for Ibaka and Millsap in a trade.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Tough to tell who will be available. I will say that IF Horford and/or Durant leave their teams, I go hunting for Ibaka and Millsap in a trade.
              Ibaka next to JV is my dream.

Can't think of a trade that would work tho.

Knicks pick is a starter and you'd think they'd insist on Patterson but who else intrigues them?

I feel like Knicks+PP+Ross wouldn't be enough and even if it was we'd be very short on 3 point shooting

Comment

Ibaka next to JV is my dream.

Can't think of a trade that would work tho.

Knicks pick is a starter and you'd think they'd insist on Patterson but who else intrigues them?

I feel like Knicks+PP+Ross wouldn't be enough and even if it was we'd be very short on 3 point shooting
                Knicks, Ross, LAC pick, our 2017 pick, one of Wright/BeBe. With it being a straight trade we can even wait for August so we can sign the draftee first and use that salary as ballast.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• So like, what would have to happen to get Durant (if they somehow lost in the first round and he wants to come to toronto lol)? Who can we keep and would we have a bench at all? I don't know anything about the cap really. Is it even possible?

Comment

• FoxMachine wrote: View Post
                    So like, what would have to happen to get Durant (if they somehow lost in the first round and he wants to come to toronto lol)? Who can we keep and would we have a bench at all? I don't know anything about the cap really. Is it even possible?
                    It's possible but it probably sucks us dry in terms of depth. Carroll is unlikely to be wanted in a sign and trade, so it is probably Ross and Patterson and a sign-and-traded JJ (at 5M) plus a couple prospects and picks.

We lose all PF depth, we lose Ross (though that's OK with Powell here), but we gain one of the best players ever.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

It's possible but it probably sucks us dry in terms of depth. Carroll is unlikely to be wanted in a sign and trade, so it is probably Ross and Patterson and a sign-and-traded JJ (at 5M) plus a couple prospects and picks.

We lose all PF depth, we lose Ross (though that's OK with Powell here), but we gain one of the best players ever.
                      Hmm doesn't sound bad at all.

Comment

• FoxMachine wrote: View Post
                        Hmm doesn't sound bad at all.
                        Tho I would hate to see Patterson go.

Comment

Knicks, Ross, LAC pick, our 2017 pick, one of Wright/BeBe. With it being a straight trade we can even wait for August so we can sign the draftee first and use that salary as ballast.
                          Honestly not sure they do that. Ross fills a big hole for them for sure but without Ibaka they're putting a lot on Collison/McGary.

Not to mention I'm not sure they want Wright/Bebe with Payne, Adams

Comment

Honestly not sure they do that. Ross fills a big hole for them for sure but without Ibaka they're putting a lot on Collison/McGary.

Not to mention I'm not sure they want Wright/Bebe with Payne, Adams
                            Assumption is they try to get something for Ibaka and Westbrook, both of whom can leave the following summer, if Durant bails on the team.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Assumption is they try to get something for Ibaka and Westbrook, both of whom can leave the following summer, if Durant bails on the team.
                              I don't see that as likely, gut feeling is that if Durant leaves they'll try to build around those two

Comment

I don't see that as likely, gut feeling is that if Durant leaves they'll try to build around those two
                                That's a hard sell for those two to re-sign though. "We couldn't win anything with you two alongside one of the best players to ever play the game. But we think we can win big time with you two but without him."
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X