Everything Dwane Casey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
    I'm not sure I've ever seen a coach completely change his ways like this. Casey went from playing Alan Anderson and John Salmons ad nauseam to trusting FVV in an overtime game.

The cynic in me didn't believe that he could change, but he did. I'm soooo glad we get to watch beautiful basketball for the first time in years.... But I also wish it had happened sooner.
    It wasn't just a Casey switch but a DeMar (and to a lesser extent Lowry) switch too. I think it took the embarrassing losses in the playoffs to admit that their style was wrong. And that was the proof they needed, not the stuff that the analytic community was trying to preach to them.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
      It wasn't just a Casey switch but a DeMar (and to a lesser extent Lowry) switch too. I think it took the embarrassing losses in the playoffs to admit that their style was wrong. And that was the proof they needed, not the stuff that the analytic community was trying to preach to them.
      People who reach that level of success, especially from a tough background like DeMar, definitely have to have this element of blocking out the noise and doubters, believing in yourself and pushing through the limited expectations everyone else has for you. From that perspective, I kind of get a young guy in his 20's reacting to circumstances the way DD did for several seasons. I always thought Casey's comments on the system and the critics were kind of weird, but I think he was just simplifying things - the coach has to believe 100% in what the team is doing if it has a chance to work, he wasn't going to start speculating mid-season that maybe they were going about things wrong. It still would have been nice if they shifted gears a year or two ago.

Don't get me started on guys like Leo Rautins and Doug Smith tho, huge yes men on whatever the coaching staff is doing who'd make snide comments about ignorant fan opinions all the time. As a commentator and a journalist, those guys have a chance to actually question things and speculate but they're just rah rah men.
      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
        ...Don't get me started on guys like Leo Rautins and Doug Smith tho, huge yes men on whatever the coaching staff is doing who'd make snide comments about ignorant fan opinions all the time. As a commentator and a journalist, those guys have a chance to actually question things and speculate but they're just rah rah men.
        Jack was the only guy I remember questioning coaching decisions. Not big time, because "Work" but he did raise questions.

Comment

I'm not sure I've ever seen a coach completely change his ways like this. Casey went from playing Alan Anderson and John Salmons ad nauseam to trusting FVV in an overtime game.

The cynic in me didn't believe that he could change, but he did. I'm soooo glad we get to watch beautiful basketball for the first time in years.... But I also wish it had happened sooner.
          San Antonio would be the obvious example of a coaching staff and management team that has been willing to completely change an approach year over year if their results aren't what they want them to be.

Personally, I was just as happy to watch a terrific Raptors team win a tonne of games - a team that would have made two finals if Lebron James played out west. So, I am happy watching the best Raps team ever, but I appreciate all the teams before as well.

Comment

• Casey coached the system his boss wanted had a lot of success. His boss said ok lets try something new. Casey is successful with that system as well.

Point is what ever system you give Casey he will win with. He is that good of a coach. Which is what I've been debating for his whole tenure.

People making too much about this style change. Like we weren't successful before. This season could easily end just like 2016. Does that mean we need change styles again? Talent is the only thing that will make the real difference. Luckily this year we have way better role players. No more "one leg" Carroll and "starter material" 2pat to consistently leave Deebo/Lowry hanging.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
            Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Fri Mar 9, 2018, 12:12 AM.
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Speaking of which, you might as well give me the sig you want me to use... you were right and I was wrong. I will pop it in once the win count hits 52.
              "Christian was right again #ProveEm" will do just fine.

Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Thu Mar 8, 2018, 11:55 PM.
              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post

I think I'm gonna be sick

Lol
                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Lol works for me. You want Christian or Chr1s1anL?

Comment

"Christian and Abbas were right once again"

sounds way better
                    Abbas wrote:

First of all i was my own source

Comment

• Abbas wrote: View Post
                      "Christian and Abbas were right once again"

sounds way better
                      “The lie detector determined that was a lie”

Sounds even better

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

Personally, I was just as happy to watch a terrific Raptors team win a tonne of games - a team that would have made two finals if Lebron James played out west. So, I am happy watching the best Raps team ever, but I appreciate all the teams before as well.
                        I appreciated those teams but there were very clear reasons why so many were frustrated for four years. You could see that we had potential that was being squandered by bad basketball choices.

It was like that friend everyone has who's got so much potential but is just stuck in a rut. You want so badly for them to snap out of it but sometimes it takes a hard look in the mirror. Now that friend has changed his ways and is kicking ass all over the place.

Comment

Casey coached the system his boss wanted had a lot of success. His boss said ok lets try something new. Casey is successful with that system as well.

Point is what ever system you give Casey he will win with. He is that good of a coach. Which is what I've been debating for his whole tenure.

People making too much about this style change. Like we weren't successful before. This season could easily end just like 2016. Does that mean we need change styles again? Talent is the only thing that will make the real difference. Luckily this year we have way better role players. No more "one leg" Carroll and "starter material" 2pat to consistently leave Deebo/Lowry hanging.

What're you talking about? I don't call struggling to beat every team in every round successful. 2016 playoffs seemed like we squeaked through on sheer talent alone, 2017 a bit of the same. Right now the style of play is massively different. The entire revamp of the culture was much needed, Casey was coaching this team into mediocrity. I doubted him but he came through and MU might have changed the whole idea of just firing a coach if the team isn't doing well.

I disagree, style of play and chemistry matter a lot which is two things this team has locked down. Warriors, Spurs, Raptors, and Celtics are the only teams that have talent and play a team oriented game which is what wins championships. A well rounded team with great chemistry and style of play can contend with any stacked roster full of stars. Spurs have proven this time and time again. And we're not even talking about development, MU in just a few years turned around the whole development process for the raptors. I'd say we're near San Antonio level with our development and that's incredible.

Comment

• "Casey coached the system his boss wanted" is something I've never read or heard from any reliable source.. I know Weltman defended Casey's offensive system, but I've never seen anywhere that Casey was told or even asked to use that system.
                            If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                              "Casey coached the system his boss wanted" is something I've never read or heard from any reliable source.. I know Weltman defended Casey's offensive system, but I've never seen anywhere that Casey was told or even asked to use that system.
                              With Toronto at least, Casey's been inclined to iso ball. Remember way back to the Lowry/Calderon controversy - Lowry begins season as starting PG, team plays badly. He goes down with an injury, Calderon steps in, team plays better. Colangelo then says, publicly, 'we need to pass the ball more and play the way we play when Jose's on the floor'. So again, we have the GM stepping in and saying 'I don't like how we're playing, change it.'
                              "Stop eating your sushi."
                              "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                              "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                              - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Doesnt matter.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                                X