Everything Dwane Casey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post
    There's just so many blowout wins it's hard to judge on raw minutes alone (though it would be nice to see him closing more when games are close, which thankfully of late he has been).

That said, you are right, how JV is used is far more important than how often.
    Also worth noting kyle and demar also playing fewest minutes on years, regardless of blowouts
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• One guy I don't want to hear excuses for this year is Lowry.

Casey has reduced his workload significantly. Minutes are much lower and his minutes are less stressful with 3 other guys often taking over the primary ball handling duties (DeMar, FVV, Wright).

I don't want to hear about an elbow or whatever excuse in the playoffs this year. Show the fuck up. No decompressing in the locker room or fraudulent play.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
        One guy I don't want to hear excuses for this year is Lowry.

Casey has reduced his workload significantly. Minutes are much lower and his minutes are less stressful with 3 other guys often taking over the primary ball handling duties (DeMar, FVV, Wright).

I don't want to hear about an elbow or whatever excuse in the playoffs this year. Show the fuck up. No decompressing in the locker room or fraudulent play.
        Agreed. When the games count, I fully expect a sizeable serving of KLOE on a nightly basis.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
          We wanted Casey fired because he wasn't doing any of the things he's doing now (scrapping ISO ball, relying on kids, involving Jonas, etc.).

Similarly, we hated on DeRozan because he was stubbornly sticking to low percentage shots. He stopped doing that too.
          Casey looks good now AND those Internet basement dwellers can hold their head high (unless it's a low celing basement) that they were right. Win-Win.

My issue is still that it took too long and it shouldn't have been mandated by Masai, but small quibbles.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
            Casey looks good now AND those Internet basement dwellers can hold their head high (unless it's a low celing basement) that they were right. Win-Win.

My issue is still that it took too long and it shouldn't have been mandated by Masai, but small quibbles.
            Like when a mayor gives you a key to the city, something to hang on your wall that you were right all along in a forum that you’ve been dwelling all these years.

Poor me because my wall is all bare and full of punch holes.

Comment

• Wasn't sure where to put this link but ...

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...nba:scoreboard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                Thank you for this confession. I was just looking at the poll results and trying to think of what kind of penance those 60% haters should have to do for wanting our GOAT Raptors coached fired/replaced 4 years ago.

I still think it's funny that Chr1stianL has nothing to post in this forum now that more or less everyone has become Casey and DeRozan fans. *waves at Chr1stianL*
                Casey actions speak louder than my words. I don't need to remind the haters they know they were wrong.*wave back*

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                  Casey actions speak louder than my words. I don't need to remind the haters they know they were wrong.*wave back*

The thing is, we were right two years ago and we’re right again now.

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post
                    The thing is, we were right two years ago and we’re right again now.
                    I mean, the most right was Masai. He gave these guys enough time to play out one approach to the game (as frustrating as that was to watch for several seasons), but stuck with them and allowed them to adjust and evolve in a new direction. The default move to make those changes is definitely just fire/trade people. Pretty unique all around.
                    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

To be completely honest Chr1, I can't even remember which side of the "Casey" argument you were on, but assuming you are slamming the Casey "haters" who couldn't stand his coaching I have to say, of course, they weren't wrong.

Things have completely turned around because Casey has completely turned his strategies and style around. In fact it is almost as if he sate down and read through four years worth of thread posts and then took the advice of all the posters who thought he couldn't coach. Well, actually he couldn't coach well until he started doing things differently.

He made the stars accountable.
                      He changed his defensive system to make maximum use of his personnel, no longer leaving JV hung out to dry.
                      He encouraged everybody to start taking shots, not simply feed his stars.
                      He lost his fixation on using veterans and started mixing and sorting skill sets to create matchup problems for the other team.
                      He stopped trying to follow what the other team was doing and dared to play big when they played small. Other teams now have to match the Raptors.
                      He insisted that his stars make the pass that gets to the player who can pass for the assist.

Previous posters who complained about Casey's coaching weren't wrong. The fact that he changed his coaching and the Raptors have had unprecedented success is actually proof that they were right.

Comment

• To be fair to Chr1s1anL, I was one who didn't think Casey was capable of making these obvious strategic changes. So I was wrong in that regard.

I was right that Casey's old habits were hurting us.

I was wrong about Casey being able to fix things.

Comment

To be fair to Chr1s1anL, I was one who didn't think Casey was capable of making these obvious strategic changes. So I was wrong in that regard.

Yeah, this is the real answer - everyone was wrong. People like me (and you) thought the systems were bad, and Casey needed to be fired because of it. The systems WERE bad, but Casey clearly didn't need to be fired. All the push back from the Casey supporters at the time - none of it was that Casey could change, but that the systems in place were fine. Also wrong.

Kudos to those who believed in Casey in an abstract sense - your faith is rewarded. And to those like me who wanted to see the systems change, who cares if we were right or wrong? We get to watch the very systems we hoped for. All is well.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Casey got a lot of criticism, some of it justified, but a lot of it was bogus. We had and still have perceptions of things and still run with them like it's the truth.
                            If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Speaking of which, you might as well give me the sig you want me to use... you were right and I was wrong. I will pop it in once the win count hits 52.

Comment

To be fair to Chr1s1anL, I was one who didn't think Casey was capable of making these obvious strategic changes. So I was wrong in that regard.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a coach completely change his ways like this. Casey went from playing Alan Anderson and John Salmons ad nauseam to trusting FVV in an overtime game.

The cynic in me didn't believe that he could change, but he did. I'm soooo glad we get to watch beautiful basketball for the first time in years.... But I also wish it had happened sooner.

Comment

Working...
                                X