• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
    I'd rather all defense instead of all offense
    I'd rather prefer BOTH

Balance is one thing this team has sorrly lacked

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
      I'd rather prefer BOTH

Balance is one thing this team has sorrly lacked
      5 straight years doing nothing but defensive drills and long timers are the worst team defenders

Comment

• CoJo is the only one really using screens and he uses them a lot. Eventually he's going to get frustrated with the weaving while his teammates do absolutely nothing

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
          CoJo is the only one really using screens and he uses them a lot. Eventually he's going to get frustrated with the weaving while his teammates do absolutely nothing
          i haven't seen the games, is there still no movement happening?

Comment

I'd rather all defense instead of all offense
            i remember kevin oneal so i wouldn't.

i am with old school. both is where it is at

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
              i haven't seen the games, is there still no movement happening?
              Looked pretty fine to me. Plenty of penetration, kick-outs, finding guys in deep position. The O hasn't been 100% crisp in the two games we've seen, but we're getting good shots, and look capable of making them. Our attackers are putting the defense on their heels more often than not.

If not for missing some chippies we would have blown the doors off in both the games we've seen.

Comment

• Conceptually, both is obviously ideal.

But historically, the years that have exceeded expectations for Casey's teams have started with training camps that focused only on defence. Every year where the talk is a more balanced approach (because the team struggled offensively the year prior) the defence ends up a complete disaster. Meanwhile, there's been no obvious correlation between working on the offence and having any visible improvement in the offence, in my eyes.

Given that, I don't mind at all that they start with defence as the base, and try to implement the offence throughout preseason to get "balanced" by the time the season starts.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• New poll.
                  Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                    Conceptually, both is obviously ideal.

But historically, the years that have exceeded expectations for Casey's teams have started with training camps that focused only on defence. Every year where the talk is a more balanced approach (because the team struggled offensively the year prior) the defence ends up a complete disaster. Meanwhile, there's been no obvious correlation between working on the offence and having any visible improvement in the offence, in my eyes.

Given that, I don't mind at all that they start with defence as the base, and try to implement the offence throughout preseason to get "balanced" by the time the season starts.
                    Thank you.

Comment

Thank you.
                      He's only had two years. One the Gay year which pretty much erased everything they did in training camp and practice and the complete dumpster fire last year.

Comment

He's only had two years. One the Gay year which pretty much erased everything they did in training camp and practice and the complete dumpster fire last year.
                        Not true. His first two years here saw varying degrees of limited success - his first year training camp was all defence, and they posted solid defensive stats (league average). The following year they posted abysmal defensive stats after taking a broader approach in TC. They improved offensively (largely it seems due to the progression/addition of our offensive players) so they won more, but the defence was bad.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Not true. His first two years here saw varying degrees of limited success - his first year training camp was all defence, and they posted solid defensive stats (league average). The following year they posted abysmal defensive stats after taking a broader approach in TC. They improved offensively (largely it seems due to the progression/addition of our offensive players) so they won more, but the defence was bad.
                          First season was strike shortened, second year with a full training camp it fell off a cliff another year meh until the roster overhaul then another full camp and cliff

Comment

First season was strike shortened, second year with a full training camp it fell off a cliff another year meh until the roster overhaul then another full camp and cliff
                            The defence was solid with Gay here that third year too. The offence was terrible.

The pattern holds - first year, in (admittedly shortened) training camp all they talked about was defence, got an average defensive team out of a Bargnani led squad. Second year, expanded offence, defence falls off cliff. Third year, focuses only on defence in training camp, defence looks good out of gate and stays good when trade is made and offence gets much better. Fourth year, broader approach, defence starts OK (seemed good but tracking by opponents showed it was about average for the first month, so already a drop from the year prior) then falls off cliff when Lowry slows down. We'll see about this year.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Actually the defence started falling when DD got hurt. Which meant more minutes for GV and Lou.
                              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

The defence was solid with Gay here that third year too. The offence was terrible.

The pattern holds - first year, in (admittedly shortened) training camp all they talked about was defence, got an average defensive team out of a Bargnani led squad. Second year, expanded offence, defence falls off cliff. Third year, focuses only on defence in training camp, defence looks good out of gate and stays good when trade is made and offence gets much better. Fourth year, broader approach, defence starts OK (seemed good but tracking by opponents showed it was about average for the first month, so already a drop from the year prior) then falls off cliff when Lowry slows down. We'll see about this year.
                                The Raptors with Gay were 19th ORtg and 16th DRtg. They played really elite D post Gay when they stopped the BS scrambling D. Early last season they were giving up 50+ FG% against really crappy offensive teams with a healthy Demar and Lowry at a part of the season when shots don't fall. 2Pats and Lou draining everything hid the really terrible defense

Comment

Working...
                                X