Everything Dwane Casey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ogi wrote: View Post
    Yeah they overachieved because the expectations were not just met but exceeded. He didn't say we have a mediocre anything.
    What do you think about the Atlanta team from last year that won 60 games and went to ECF? Is that a team that exceeded expectations/ over achieved? A contender? Or a mediocre team? Or how would you evaluate that team in your own words?

Comment

• ball4life wrote: View Post
      What do you think about the Atlanta team from last year that won 60 games and went to ECF? Is that a team that exceeded expectations/ over achieved? A contender? Or a mediocre team? Or how would you evaluate that team in your own words?
      That was a good team

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
        I actually think there was one competitive team in the East, and a big middle class.

We took two games from Cleveland, sure, but we got wrecked in the other 4.
        I think we would have been legitimately competitive with Cleveland if Jonas hadn't been hurt.
        "Stop eating your sushi."
        "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
        "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
          I think we would have been legitimately competitive with Cleveland if Jonas hadn't been hurt.
          Nah. We really couldn't answer LeBron when he turned it on. They had another level, we didn't.

We might've beaten them if things had gone perfectly, sure, but they were a much, much better team.

Besides, even if JV had been healthy, who's to say we would've given him minutes or shot attempts?
          twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

Nah. We really couldn't answer LeBron when he turned it on. They had another level, we didn't.

We might've beaten them if things had gone perfectly, sure, but they were a much, much better team.

Besides, even if JV had been healthy, who's to say we would've given him minutes or shot attempts?
            the way he was playing when he went down I think his teammates recognized his offensive importance but if we got stretched out by love and frye I think casey might have been forced to not use him as much as he did in the heat series

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
              Even ignoring that I agree with you on that point; we went in to that series banged up to hell and almost forced a Game 7. I do think people are underrating how good our team was/is.

I don't think we would have won that series persay [LeBron is just a plain monster] but we could have been more competitive and forced a Game 7.
              "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
              "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

I agree.

The Cavs are an NBA creation.... they started this back when they had LBJ go to Miami.... it was a complicated scam, but it worked perfectly. this was all scripted..... except the idea was to have Miami in the ECF.....

years in the making and brilliant..... but make no mistake, Cleveland is really good for a reason, and no, we couldn't compete with um. I'm proud of the Raps though, they had EVERYTHING against um, and they still got to game 6 of the ECF..... hell yeah man, what a great season.

Comment

• ogi wrote: View Post
                  That was a good team
                  Exactly! A good team. And our team is a good team. Not talented enough to go to the finals and not terrible enough to miss the playoffs. That's a good team. Not an elite team.

I guess our differences in interpreting the term "mediocre" is the issue here.

Unless you think that Atlanta team and this Raptors team had a legitimate chance at a championship then let's agree to disagree.

Comment

Exactly! A good team. And our team is a good team. Not talented enough to go to the finals and not terrible enough to miss the playoffs. That's a good team. Not an elite team.

Unless you think that Atlanta team and this Raptors team had a legitimate chance at a championship then let's agree to disagree.
                    Yeah haha when you say mediocre it makes me think of like 6-8 seed/barely making the playoffs.

Comment

Atlanta cheaped out and refused to pay to retain their players, see Carroll, and then try to move forwards from there and that's why they took a step back this year.

Comment

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
                        I agree.

The Cavs are an NBA creation.... they started this back when they had LBJ go to Miami.... it was a complicated scam, but it worked perfectly. this was all scripted..... except the idea was to have Miami in the ECF.....

years in the making and brilliant..... but make no mistake, Cleveland is really good for a reason, and no, we couldn't compete with um. I'm proud of the Raps though, they had EVERYTHING against um, and they still got to game 6 of the ECF..... hell yeah man, what a great season.
                        So did the NBA plant the blood clots in Bosh's lungs?

Comment

• Raptorsnz wrote: View Post
                          So did the NBA plant the blood clots in Bosh's lungs?
                          Now that you mention it ...
                          "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                          "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

As for this year's Atlanta I wouldn't say they are championship contenders this year,however the Raptors status for this year is also different from before,they had a chance to prove they're a good team that can make lots of noise in the playoffs(really not too far from elite teams) ,and if the roster(and sidelines) holes this team was getting away with all regular season(PF,outside shooters, dynamic offensive system, matchup adjustments) , were taken care of,this team would've been more consistent and most likely move the team to the best clubs,the same way Cavs learned from previous season's mistakes/deficiencies in bringing T. Thomson back,JR Smith,maximize the use of Love,Shumpert,and if that was not enough they added Frye for his outside shooting which turned to be problematic for any opponent(also added Mcrae a proven scorer from Dleague).
                            I believe MU knows Raps needs very well,already this team has a good core ,if he adds the wright pieces (I trust he can) this could very well be the time the Raptors reserve a seat in the elite club

Comment

• The biggest issue I have with Casey is the offense. The JV underutilization has been covered. My bigger beef is that whether it's the guard-centric approach or a JV post-up, there seems to be no play-calling for off-the-ball players. The only movement is designed around the first move. Once Lowry/DeRozan get the ball in an attack position, or JV gets the ball on the low post, everybody else just stands around watching. It's little wonder that the offense so often stagnated in the playoffs, without even discussing the hero-ball.

The team needs a more layered offensive strategy to get shooters open looks. Of course, on the other hand (ie: good coach, roster needs big upgrades), the 'shooters' were atrocious in the playoffs (ie: Carroll, Patterson, Ross, Lowry, etc...), so it didn't really make a difference. However, if the team does decide to run the offense more through JV (even just to bring some better inside/out balance), he can't be expected to facilitate if his teammates are all standing still. The offense needs to design movement and picks, etc... to get a particular guy an open look at a particular spot on the court, so JV has a set place to go with an outlet pass.

It wasn't just the hero-ball that was bad, but the fact that the hero-ball was often surrounded by poor shooters or shooters that didn't have any off-ball plays to run. That's how a bad situation that depends on two shooters to get hot becomes exacerbated, to the points that they get embarrassed.
                              Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Tue May 31, 2016, 01:21 AM.

Comment

• I Told You Coach Casey Would Be Back, Raptors GM Reminds Media

http://probballreport.com/i-told-you...reminds-media/

Comment

Working...
                                X