General NBA Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slaw wrote: View Post
    Yes, I look forward to the NBA's new moral preening. Of course, that means it will be cancelling it's tours of China and exhibition games there, right? Or at least using the games as a platform to speak out against the systematic torture, imprisonment and murder of the Chinese people by its government? Right? Yeah, that's what I thought.....

Hey, the NBA can be selective in its outrage if it wants but the least these hypocrites can do is spare me their righteous indignation.
    The equivalence you make seems a bit misplaced.

Isn't taking note of bad behaviour in one's own backyard the first priority? To even assume that the NBA has any standing in berating the Chinese hierarchy on the odious matters you raise is utopic. As you know many govts. including the US govt. have raised these very issues at the highest levels for many years...without good result.

Furthermore the Chinese in a cute display of their own outrage complain about US human rights violations apparently bringing up the deaths resulting from ongoing gun violence and the high incarceration rate among the black and hispanic populations. They have a point. So we have checkmate dont we?

But never let be said that global commerce must end. Even with the commish's outrage about the NC law, I smell the notion that there is a bit of trying to be on the right side of the issue because of "business" concerns. But that could just be me.

Interesting fact...300 million Chinese play basketball (equivalent to the entire US population). A more worthwhile calculus would be that by encouraging and incorporating social practices in organizing the popularization of the game could have a positive effect on the democratization of China. The ship has sailed on using the isolation/no trade policies as a bludgeon with China.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
      The equivalence you make seems a bit misplaced.
      No, it's placed just fine. It's just uncomfortable for hypocrites. Again, being a hypocrite is fine and if the NBA wants to virtue signal for the social justice crowd cause it thinks that's good for business then they are certainly free to do so but just spare me the faux moral outrage over fighting for the right for men to use women's bathrooms while you do business with corrupt dictators.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
        Kind of amazing that this season long thread is less than our playoff game threads lol
        Season long? This thing has been going for 3 years. Lol

Comment

No, it's placed just fine. It's just uncomfortable for hypocrites. Again, being a hypocrite is fine and if the NBA wants to virtue signal for the social justice crowd cause it thinks that's good for business then they are certainly free to do so but just spare me the faux moral outrage over fighting for the right for men to use women's bathrooms while you do business with corrupt dictators.
          The oversimplification of the matter here is incredible ...

So the NBA isn't allowed to comment on issues its own country faces, if it doesn't make an example of another country in the process? That seems ridiculous to me.

While I agree that China certainly has atrocities to answer for, if the NBA were in that business, it wouldn't be in business. Every country on earth has atrocities to answer for, including Canada and the Human Rights violations against the First Nations peoples... should he boycott Canada?

This is about effecting change where you can. And this is something that the NBA feels it can absolutely weigh in on, and make an impact on, so why shouldn't it?
          Last edited by Joey; Tue Apr 19, 2016, 05:13 PM.

Comment

What this really is, is about the culture wars spilling into/affecting how big business chooses to conduct itself.

When diverse entities like PayPal, StarBucks, Deutsche Bank, Pearl Jam (yep they are big business too!) and the NBA to name a few join in expressing their displeasure at the ham handed law this is a strong signal that the hypocrisy charge you make (by erroneously raising the China question) is in fact misplaced. It used to be not too long ago when straight out discrimination of gay and lesbian individuals was rampant including denial of employment. Consider transgender as another group.

Interestingly, sister state and more conservative S. Carolina decided to pass on a similar approach.

Simply put groups like the religious right and the family values factions in the US are clinging to the Ozzie & Harriet vision of their country. It seems to me that the ascendant groups are those just not interested in discrimination of any kind.

Re the NBA and their stance on discrimination how would you have wished it handled the Donald Sterling/Clippers case?

Comment

• Thibs likely heading to Minny

Comment

• That roster led by Thibodeau is going to be deadly. Pretty happy to be in the East right now.

Comment

• Just wanted to give props here to Stanley Johnson for being a humble and self aware player. Keep it up. You're doing great.
                  Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• Hahaha

Comment

• Poor Memphis...first casualties

So injury ravaged...would have been a good series if they had Marc and Conley

Comment

• Uh oh... Curry's slip looked painful and dangerous.

Comment

• ^ya that looked sketchy....curious what the prognosis is. Hopefully just a banged knee and not ligament damage

Comment

• Comment

• Curry doesn't start second half. Ugh.

EDIT: Yup, it's confirmed. Curry suffered a sprained knee and will not return.

Last edited by rocwell; Sun Apr 24, 2016, 05:28 PM.

Comment

• And the Warriors go out and score 41 points in the 3rd without Curry ... Scary.

Comment

Working...
                                X