No announcement yet.

Potential Coaching Candidates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd so much prefer any of these supposed final 4 to Budenholzer or any of the other 'known commodities', as white-men-can't-jump was saying. Out with the old and in with the new. The game has changed and continues to change.

And they possess an excellent cross-section of the different qualities we should be weighing.

Trust in Masai.

Comment

• Of the 4 names that may actually be the final list, I'm ok with any of them. I'm not bigger on Sarunas than any of the other guys. He's an intriguing name and one that hasn't been on the radar of NBA teams yet so far as I know. I think that has made a splash as an outside the box option. People have been talking about Messina, Nurse and Udoka for years in NBA circles.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
        @Goldblum

RE Stack's playing days my impressions of him was a fairly selfish type on O (getting his shots) and not particularly aggressive on D even though he had the length and speed. All in all not a favorite of mine. So I was quite surprised how he adapted (and succeeded) at the coaching game.He was also more expressive emotionally on court than he was off it as a h-coach. I suppose there is no accounting about the "real" person especially when one is not upclose and personal sometimes. Re Kidd, he had a great feel on court of the game. Again, I thought he jumped in too fast to coach... my experience has been the great players rarely make great coaches. He hasn't lit up the coaching ranks yet so we shall just have to wait for at least another gig.

(...just kidding. Great points, Bendit. -- Just been wanting to use this gif for a while ha)

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
          So all it took was a few YouTube videos to get everyone on the bandwagon for someone they had no clue about 24 hrs ago. Not saying he won't be good, but there is no doubt in my mind that any of you know why you're supporting this guy LMAO
          because none of us really know that much about coaching, beyond being able to identify an outright disaster (e.g. Byron Scott coaching the Lakers), and so we're all grasping at straws in the dark

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
            because none of us really know that much about coaching, beyond being able to identify an outright disaster (e.g. Byron Scott coaching the Lakers), and so we're all grasping at straws in the dark
            i'd say LA was his most successful stint 'cause the lakers got exactly what they wanted out of that deal... two consecutive number 2 overall picks. the previous organizations he worked for presumably thought he was a good hire... yikes.

anyhow i think i'm pretty on board with 3 of the 4 seeming favorites, and just basically know nothing about the 4th (udoka) apart from the spurs connection, but would not necessarily be against him as a hire.

think i still like nurse best though. someone with radical ideas like passing the ball and shooting 3's are good things has taken the pulse of where this league's been headed the last five years i feel.

Comment

So all it took was a few YouTube videos to get everyone on the bandwagon for someone they had no clue about 24 hrs ago. Not saying he won't be good, but there is no doubt in my mind that any of you know why you're supporting this guy LMAO
              I am from Lithuania so I'll probably be biased.
              But believe me, Jasikevicius is the real deal, I have never seen such a talented coach ever. He is as solid coach as they come. He has pretty much everything:
              1) exceptional tactician(on the highest level, or very very close to pop, brad stevens and so on. Really, he is that good). Plus, perfect in-game coach, always making adjustments to exploit opponents weaknesses, or hide his own. If something doesn't work he knows exactly what's wrong and makes adjustments instantly, no waiting and hoping for better as it was with Casey. He has total control over his team and tactics.
              2) absolute maniac of basketball, watches like 20 games per day and so on. I am not lying, it's true. He is a basketball junkie with talent to it. That's why he is that good. Has unique eye to basketball, creates his own plays/tactics, forward-thinking. Pretty much now he is a basketball genius.
              3) tough on players but in a good way. He has no known enemies between former players, they all love him and has him in highest praise. He knows how to get the best of his players but not to make an enemy out of them. I guess in the locker room outside the court he really is a very charismatic and lovable person and patches relationships with players. I guess that's why he can get away with shouting on players, and why they don't take it that personal.
              4) very charismatic, absolute leader, a winner.

You guys would be lucky if Urji decided to go with Jasikevicius. He's truly something special.

But I guess Nurse is pretty good choice too. However if Raptors would pass on Nurse, and the choice would be between Messina and Jasikevicius, without a doubt Jasikevicius is a way better choice.
              I don't believe Udoka would be chosen cause he's pretty similar to Nurse, and if Nurse wouldn't get the job, surely Udoka shouldn't get it too. And that would leave either Messina or Jasikevicius. It's just my opinion, I really don't know that much about Udoka, but he doesn't seem that solid if you ask me. He doesn't really have extensive experience in coaching, and doesn't seem anything special in personality, just a decent assistant. It would be a big jump for him to become a head coach.
              Last edited by subfor; Wed Jun 6, 2018, 06:40 AM.

Comment

• subfor wrote: View Post
                But believe me, Jasikevicius is the real deal, I have never seen such a talented coach ever. He is as solid coach as they come. He has pretty much everything:
                1) exceptional tactician(on the highest level, or very very close to pop, brad stevens and so on. Really, he is that good). Plus, perfect in-game coach, always making adjustments to exploit opponents weaknesses, or hide his own. If something doesn't work he knows exactly what's wrong and makes adjustments instantly, no waiting and hoping for better as it was with Casey. He has total control over his team and tactics.
                2) absolute maniac of basketball, watches like 20 games per day and so on. I am not lying, it's true. He is a basketball junkie with talent to it. That's why he is that good. Has unique eye to basketball, creates his own plays/tactics, forward-thinking. Pretty much now he is a basketball genius.
                3) tough on players but in a good way. He has no known enemies between former players, they all love him and has him in highest praise. He knows how to get the best of his players but not to make an enemy out of them. I guess in the locker room outside the court he really is a very charismatic and lovable person and patches relationships with players. I guess that's why he can get away with shouting on players, and why they don't take it that personal.

You guys would be lucky if Urji decided to go with Jasikevicius. He's truly something special.

But I guess Nurse is pretty good choice too. However if Raptors would pass on Nurse, and the choice would be between Messina and Jasikevicius, without a doubt Jasikevicius is a way better choice.
                I don't believe Udoka would be chosen cause he's pretty similar to Nurse, and if Nurse wouldn't get the job, surely Udoka shouldn't get it too. And that would leave either Messina or Jasikevicius. It's just my opinion, I really don't know that much about Udoka, but he doesn't seem that solid if you ask me. He doesn't really have extensive experience in coaching, and doesn't seem anything special in personality, just a decent assistant. It would be a big jump for him to become a head coach.
                Appreciate the insight from someone who has some context.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                  Of the 4 names that may actually be the final list, I'm ok with any of them. I'm not bigger on Sarunas than any of the other guys. He's an intriguing name and one that hasn't been on the radar of NBA teams yet so far as I know. I think that has made a splash as an outside the box option. People have been talking about Messina, Nurse and Udoka for years in NBA circles.
                  This is pretty much my stance as well. He could be good, he could be great, but I'm not putting him over anyone else with the little knowledge I have of him. The things being said about him could apply to many of the other coaches as well if they were in the same position as Sarunas (coaching outside NBA). But I'm not going to pretend to know he's a better option. Appearance wise he looks like he spends more time in the weight room than in the film room and that's about as "educated" of a description of his coaching abilities as I can give for now, LOL.
                  Last edited by LJ2; Wed Jun 6, 2018, 08:44 AM.

Comment

• Top European clubs are coming after him too

Comment

I hope you are correct. Especially about the tactician part because that is what really separates the good coaches from the great ones in the NBA. That and getting players to respect and buy into your coaching style.

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                        Top European clubs are coming after him too

By the way - Pangos, current Sarunas player is on Barcelona's radar too.

Comment

Welcome!! Exceptional first post. I'm on board.

Comment

Could have said the same thing about Brad Stevens in 2012. What's your point?

Comment

• I’m fine with any of the 4. I prefer a new coach over one thats been around the league. Bud was probably the only experienced coach that I would have liked.

You’re more likely to find a top tier coach by hiring a first time coach (looking at Kerr and Stevens), of course you could also hire a terrible one, but its a risk I’m willing to take.

This is similar to tanking, you get a high draft pick, you could draft a superstar or a bust. Hiring one of the Van Gundys, Monty, Clifford, Vogel, etc will just be treadmilling. Hell I’m not even sure those guys are better than Casey.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                                Could have said the same thing about Brad Stevens in 2012. What's your point?
                                That people are jumping on the Sarunas bandwagon without having a clue who he is. Kind of dumb don't you think?

Comment

Working...
                                X