Potential Coaching Candidates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
    That people are jumping on the Sarunas bandwagon without having a clue who he is. Kind of dumb don't you think?
    The reality is that we have little clue who even the most established coaches really are, beyond the 10% of the iceberg that is visible in game management, substitutions, etc.

We're fans. Give us a break. Who cares what bandwagon we jump on? Jasikevicius is an exciting choice, with lots of reason to have high expectations for him. Conceptually, I'm just happy the Raptors are chasing out of the box ideas rather than a tried and true (and previously fired) established coach. And Jasikevicius is the most obvious example of that, though all the coaches in the running fit the mold.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

That people are jumping on the Sarunas bandwagon without having a clue who he is. Kind of dumb don't you think?
      It's 2018, man. Information is at your fingertips. You can get up to speed pretty quickly on Sarunas' resume as a coach. People already know him as a player and he had a track record as a winner, and is repeating that as a coach.

All 4 candidates are complete unknowns as NBA head coaches, so by your reasoning, does it make it "smart" to get on board with Nick Nurse, just because we're all familiar with him for the last 5 years? We have no clue if Nurse can manage NBA egos. Same with Messina, Udoka or even Stack.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
        The reality is that we have little clue who even the most established coaches really are, beyond the 10% of the iceberg that is visible in game management, substitutions, etc.

We're fans. Give us a break. Who cares what bandwagon we jump on? Jasikevicius is an exciting choice, with lots of reason to have high expectations for him. Conceptually, I'm just happy the Raptors are chasing out of the box ideas rather than a tried and true (and previously fired) established coach. And Jasikevicius is the most obvious example of that, though all the coaches in the running fit the mold.
        Oh come on, I'm not saying don't be a fan. But a tweet pops up with a couple of videos and people are putting the guy at the top of the list? It was all within hours...a bit flaky isn't it? This guy could be the next Brad Stevens, but it's a joke that people are acting like that's exactly whom he will be when they have zero notion of who the guy is.

Comment

Oh come on, I'm not saying don't be a fan. But a tweet pops up with a couple of videos and people are putting the guy at the top of the list? It was all within hours...a bit flaky isn't it? This guy could be the next Brad Stevens, but it's a joke that people are acting like that's exactly whom he will be when they have zero notion of who the guy is.
          We have zero notion of how Nurse, Udoka or Messina would work either.

The potential of a Brad Stevens is plenty to get excited about, wouldn't you think? Obviously everyone knows nothing is guaranteed here.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
            It's 2018, man. Information is at your fingertips. You can get up to speed pretty quickly on Sarunas' resume as a coach. People already know him as a player and he had a track record as a winner, and is repeating that as a coach.

All 4 candidates are complete unknowns as NBA head coaches, so by your reasoning, does it make it "smart" to get on board with Nick Nurse, just because we're all familiar with him for the last 5 years? We have no clue if Nurse can manage NBA egos. Same with Messina, Udoka or even Stack.
            Dude, did you even read my comment? I'm not putting Nurse or Stack or anyone at the top of the list. I'm pointing out that within a window of hours people are putting the most unknown of the candidates at the top of their list. It's ridiculous that educated fans are so easily swayed.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
              We have zero notion of how Nurse, Udoka or Messina would work either.

The potential of a Brad Stevens is plenty to get excited about, wouldn't you think? Obviously everyone knows nothing is guaranteed here.
              Okay, you win and I need to take a step back cause I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here,LOL.

Comment

Dude, did you even read my comment? I'm not putting Nurse or Stack or anyone at the top of the list. I'm pointing out that within a window of hours people are putting the most unknown of the candidates at the top of their list. It's ridiculous that educated fans are so easily swayed.
                Actually he's probably the most known in the raps fanbase now because he is the only candidate exciting enough to actually research. I havent bothered to look into the other names. This guy seems to have some interesting qualities and is building a buzz. As someone said before, there is a ton u can find online. People arent just going by the 2 videos u referenced. Maybe they've done more research than u.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

• subfor wrote: View Post
                  I am from Lithuania so I'll probably be biased.
                  But believe me, Jasikevicius is the real deal, I have never seen such a talented coach ever. He is as solid coach as they come. He has pretty much everything:
                  1) exceptional tactician(on the highest level, or very very close to pop, brad stevens and so on. Really, he is that good). Plus, perfect in-game coach, always making adjustments to exploit opponents weaknesses, or hide his own. If something doesn't work he knows exactly what's wrong and makes adjustments instantly, no waiting and hoping for better as it was with Casey. He has total control over his team and tactics.
                  2) absolute maniac of basketball, watches like 20 games per day and so on. I am not lying, it's true. He is a basketball junkie with talent to it. That's why he is that good. Has unique eye to basketball, creates his own plays/tactics, forward-thinking. Pretty much now he is a basketball genius.
                  3) tough on players but in a good way. He has no known enemies between former players, they all love him and has him in highest praise. He knows how to get the best of his players but not to make an enemy out of them. I guess in the locker room outside the court he really is a very charismatic and lovable person and patches relationships with players. I guess that's why he can get away with shouting on players, and why they don't take it that personal.
                  4) very charismatic, absolute leader, a winner.

You guys would be lucky if Urji decided to go with Jasikevicius. He's truly something special.

But I guess Nurse is pretty good choice too. However if Raptors would pass on Nurse, and the choice would be between Messina and Jasikevicius, without a doubt Jasikevicius is a way better choice.
                  I don't believe Udoka would be chosen cause he's pretty similar to Nurse, and if Nurse wouldn't get the job, surely Udoka shouldn't get it too. And that would leave either Messina or Jasikevicius. It's just my opinion, I really don't know that much about Udoka, but he doesn't seem that solid if you ask me. He doesn't really have extensive experience in coaching, and doesn't seem anything special in personality, just a decent assistant. It would be a big jump for him to become a head coach.
                  24 hours per day...48 minutes per game if you fast forward...need a little bit of sleep, minus time to poop and shower (note: can watch game on phone while pooping)

Math checks out
                  9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                    24 hours per day...48 minutes per game if you fast forward...need a little bit of sleep, minus time to poop and shower (note: can watch game on phone while pooping)

Math checks out
                    FIBA games are only 40 minutes, so he can eat too if he wants.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
                      I’m fine with any of the 4. I prefer a new coach over one thats been around the league. Bud was probably the only experienced coach that I would have liked.

You’re more likely to find a top tier coach by hiring a first time coach (looking at Kerr and Stevens), of course you could also hire a terrible one, but its a risk I’m willing to take.

This is similar to tanking, you get a high draft pick, you could draft a superstar or a bust. Hiring one of the Van Gundys, Monty, Clifford, Vogel, etc will just be treadmilling. Hell I’m not even sure those guys are better than Casey.
                      They aren't, you're right.

Comment

• okay fine forget this Sarunas guy, let's go get us Vinny Del Negro instead

good ol' Vinny

Comment

• I'll be very angry if we hire Nurse.

He's been here since 2013. I know he's just an assistant but he's had a major voice for 5 years and been part of the same playoff ineptitude as Casey was. Especially considering many try to give him all the credit for the good things the team does while Casey gets all the credit for the bad things, clearly he's already had his influence. How is he going to be able to really change things and hold guys accountable?

Really don't want to promote from within. Get something new.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
                            I'll be very angry if we hire Nurse.

He's been here since 2013. I know he's just an assistant but he's had a major voice for 5 years and been part of the same playoff ineptitude as Casey was. Especially considering many try to give him all the credit for the good things the team does while Casey gets all the credit for the bad things, clearly he's already had his influence. How is he going to be able to really change things and hold guys accountable?

Really don't want to promote from within. Get something new.
                            Nurse probably wants a decision so he can look elsewhere, doubt he'll stick around and work for fiba man
                            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                              Nurse probably wants a decision so he can look elsewhere, doubt he'll stick around and work for fiba man
                              Yeah, I doubt that any of the assistants will be retained if they hire an HC from outside of the organization. And you gotta think that is the way Masai is leaning.

Comment

That is precisely what you're saying. Fan = Fan-a-tic. Getting overly excited about something that could help our team is exactly what a "fan" should be doing.

Comment

Working...
                                X