No announcement yet.

Potential Coaching Candidates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bud made Carroll a good player, thats enough to want to hire him.

Comment

• How much more is there to get out of DeMar and Lowry?

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
        I'm all for a coaching change, but the people who want to pretend it's not a talent issue I feel sorry for you.
        Maybe talent is an issue, but that doesn't mean the talent was maximized either.

Personally I think it's more leadership than talent among player personnel. Lowry has passion but lacks poise and maturity. DeMar is mature but lacks intensity and poise. Ibaka just disappeared completely for most of the playoffs and actually seemed like kind of a malcontent on the bench at times.

We're obviously underdogs, but that doesn't mean we can't steal a series against a contender, or at least not get completely curbstomped.

Comment

• Like Bruce Springsteen, Udoka was Born in the USA. His Nigerian citizenship is through his father.
          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
            How much more is there to get out of DeMar and Lowry?
            With Demar, there's one whole side of the ball to get out of him.

(As in defence.)
            "Stop eating your sushi."
            "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
            "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
            - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
              I still wonder if Obradovic has any desire to come to the NBA.

You want a winner? 9 Euroleague championships with 5 different organizations.

Probably the best coach in the history of the Euroleague, and in the past wouldn't come over because no one would offer him a head coaching gig.
              can't imagine our stars responding well to a european "coach's word is law" style that Obradovic would demand.

but maybe that's part of the problem

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
                If you want the same old results we could do that
                ...that is an argument without merit.

Assistants tow the company line to keep their jobs. Nurse and Kalaimian are both highly respected and would take the team in very different directions as head coaches
                For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
                  I just wanna point out (as a Nigerian myself)... Nigerian is by far the most common nationality for a black person living outside of Africa. It's a country with nearly 200 million people and a LOT of diaspora. Just because two guys are Nigerian doesn't mean they know each other or have any relation. Granted, Udoka and Masai probably do since they're both in the NBA.
                  I think it's more like a Torontonian and a Vancouverite ending up in Papua New Guinea, and being the only 2 Canadians around. They don't know each other, but they'd have something to bond over and build on.
                  Last edited by Nilanka; Fri May 11, 2018, 04:32 PM.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    I think it's more like a Torontotian and a Vancouverite ending up in Papua New Guinea, and being the only 2 Canadians around. They don't know each other, but they'd have something to bond over and build on.
                    I'm pretty sure i would get along with a Torontonian just fine. I'll just mention the Leafs and the Bruins series
                    Mamba Mentality

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                      can't imagine our stars responding well to a european "coach's word is law" style that Obradovic would demand.

It's possible, but it's also possible the bold is accurate. He's definitely a loud and tough coach who will get on his players. It's not a sure thing that he'd fit into the NBA.

He's also definitely a winner though. And probably among the best basketball minds in the world. When Pop is using your schemes, it's a good sign.

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                        I'm pretty sure i would get along with a Torontonian just fine. I'll just mention the Leafs and the Bruins series
                        Yeah and we'll mention the Bruins and the Lightning series.

Comment

• Potential Coaching Candidates

S.R. wrote: View Post
                          Like Bruce Springsteen, Udoka was Born in the USA. His Nigerian citizenship is through his father.
                          But he is on the national team coaching staff, so it’s more than just a passport at this point. To think the two haven’t met and talked hoops before just seems incredibly unlikely.

Especially when a simple google search shows that they were both among the coaches at the 2015 Giants of Africa basketball camp.
                          Last edited by Axel; Fri May 11, 2018, 05:07 PM.
                          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• I'd be down with Bud. Definitely not much of a retread - he's basically only had one shot so far, and performed admirably. Modern style, positionless basketball, high intelligence, comes from the program we're looking to emulate. Seems like someone who can build on and expand the foundation already in place for the long haul.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post

I think a guy like that makes more sense when you're trying to instill the big, foundational things Raps were looking at 5 years ago. In Toronto, that heavy lifting is done. What they need is a guy who is willing to take over a turnkey operation, tweak some things here and there, and then improve the in-game management stuff that will hopefully have knock-on effects in other areas.

Raps don't need to re-invent the wheel, which is, I imagine, what a guy like that would want to do.

Comment

• What about Lavar Ball?
                                "Stop eating your sushi."
                                "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                                "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                                - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Working...
                                X