No announcement yet.

Potential Coaching Candidates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Stein, Kevin O'Connor, a couple others reporting that the Raptors interest is in Mike Budenholzer.
    That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

• The more I think about it, the more I think it could be Nurse. Nurse has wanted for a long time to revamp the Raptors offense, but for years got blocked by the style that Demar and Lowry and Casey wanted to run. After last season's culture reset, they were allowed to start to integrate it more. And it was fantastically successful; easily the best offense we've ever seen on the Raptors, and it fit the existing personnel well. That's Nurse being proven right. But in the playoffs there was mental weakness and a lack of execution and some questionable rotations and some poor tactical decisions. Many of those things go back to the head coach. I don't think Ujiri would want an outsider to come in here and revamp the systems again after they were so promising through much of this year. If you want to take another shot with the current core, it makes sense to keep the systems in place but change the in-game tactician and the voice at the top.

Comment

• Don't really see how Budenholzer takes us to the next level. Oh well.

I get it, it's a change. I think we still won't be good enough to beat LeBron.

Budenholzer's track record isn't even that good. Only one 50+ win season as a HC.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
          Don't really see how Budenholzer takes us to the next level. Oh well.

Budenholzer's track record isn't even that good. Only one 50+ win season as a HC.
          I'm not sure how I feel about Bud, but his track record is fine. Atlanta's teams were not that strong personnel-wise. If anything blame him for his management track record.

Comment

• Those Atlanta teams that he was coaching weren't that strong.

He did coach the 2015-16 and 2016-17 teams to 2nd overall defense and 4th overall defense, so his talents aren't just in his offensive system (though he should add a lot more off-ball movement to the Raptors offense). Those defenses did not do so well in the playoffs.

You guys are right that this isn't really a move the needle type hire, but he is a good coach and it is a lower risk hire if it is who we go with.
            That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

• Budenholzer....another coach who got a ring as an assistant to...

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
                Don't really see how Budenholzer takes us to the next level. Oh well.

Bud is a downgrade
                Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Another name we've seem to have forgotten in our excitement today is Ime Udoka - another Spurs assistant and Nigerian countryman for Masai. 12 year playing career and been on the Spurs staff since 2012.

ESPN article from April on his Head Coach to be status
                  http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/...nba-head-coach
                  Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                    Bud is a downgrade
                    In what way?

Comment

• I am going to buy a bottle Casey is gone

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                        In what way?
                        Culture wise. This dude quit on Atlanta because they are tanking. He's not long term coach.
                        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                          Another name we've seem to have forgotten in our excitement today is Ime Udoka - another Spurs assistant and Nigerian countryman for Masai. 12 year playing career and been on the Spurs staff since 2012.

ESPN article from April on his Head Coach to be status
                          http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/...nba-head-coach
                          He's tied with two other Spurs assistants for my first choice.
                          "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                          "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• Here comes every arm chair GM with an opinion. Nobody has any fucking idea who will do best with this roster.
                            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• I wouldn't mind taking a chance on someone like Udoka, Hammon, Messina, etc...

The coach choice has to be not just about trying to improve the results with the same group, but someone you might give the chance to coach if the team sees a bigger roster transition within the next year or so.

I think that's why Bud's name has already come up. Being a Spurs man for so long he may be willing to go through that kind of transition. Other experienced coaches may give up on the team after a year if all our stars/vets are traded out to go younger.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                                Culture wise. This dude quit on Atlanta because they are tanking. He's not long term coach.
                                Atlanta has had one of the worst ownerships in pro sports for decades. Maybe he didn't want to stay because he knew they wouldn't give a shit about putting a good team on the court long-term.

*Bottom line, do you think he panics like Casey and does something like put in 3rd string C to try and save your season in an elimination game? I'd think a hard "no" on that. Casey is a moron in terms of basketball sense.

Comment

Working...
                                X