Potential Coaching Candidates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joey wrote: View Post
    Sportsnet is throwing Becky Hammon into the mix .. what do you guys think about that?

Pau Gasol seems to think she's ready:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/...-coaching-job/

Sorry if it's already been discussed ... there's alot going on in here today. Lol
    To be honest, I don't really want to be the team that breaks the glass ceiling. Let some American team take the pressure and Justin Trudeau's praise....

Comment

• sanyo wrote: View Post
      Stackhouse shouldnt count, he's in the d league right now -- and no doubt will get a job soon so either they promote him or he will leave... and he's done great things with 905... doesnt hurt to try him out and he seems like a no BS kinda guy who would bench Kyle or Demar instantly if they gave him lip...Stackhouse was a great player, I think the Raps need someone like him who knows the game and played at an elite level and seems to be a very good coach... plus he knows alot of the young guys on the team, which is a bonus. I would give him a shot.
      I'm still leaning his way. Instant respect and chemistry from the Bench mob who are the future. And he wouldn't feel the need to be Kyle DeMar's father figure and if they are EVER going to put in the effort on D, it will be for a guy like Stack.

Comment

• https://www.thestar.com/sports/rapto...n-the-nba.html

I don't know whether Stackhouse is the man for the job or not but it would be just Raptoresque for us to sign someone else while he goes on to kick azz for a competitor....

A thought just occured to me that maybe Coach was lobbying hard for Casey becuase he knows LeBron would like to bring him to Cleveland

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
          https://www.thestar.com/sports/rapto...n-the-nba.html

I don't know whether Stackhouse is the man for the job or not but it would be just Raptoresque for us to sign someone else while he goes on to kick azz for a competitor....

A thought just occured to me that maybe Coach was lobbying hard for Casey becuase he knows LeBron would like to bring him to Cleveland
          My hesitation with Stackhouse is that the success rate of former stars who become coaches is really not good.
          "Stop eating your sushi."
          "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
          "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
          - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
            My hesitation with Stackhouse is that the success rate of former stars who become coaches is really not good.
            Something I'm sure they will consider but he's not like Kidd that went straight from the bench to behind it. He's paid his dues and been successful in the G League

Comment

I think Stackhouse is the fallback plan if Masai can't find somebody better. Assuming team toughness and holding players accountable (e.g. KL/DD) was high on Masai's list ... then Stack appears to check those boxes on paper. Player development track record is also a plus. Only issue would be playing style (which is probably similar to Casey's drive & kick) and in-game adjustments at the NBA level.

But tbh, a Stackhouse hire would feel similar to Sam Mitchell.... but with a bit more pedigree. To really move on from Casey, I think you have to trade his protege, Demar.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                I think Stackhouse is the fallback plan if Masai can't find somebody better. Assuming team toughness and holding players accountable (e.g. KL/DD) was high on Masai's list ... then Stack appears to check those boxes on paper. Player development track record is also a plus. Only issue would be playing style (which is probably similar to Casey's drive & kick) and in-game adjustments at the NBA level.

But tbh, a Stackhouse hire would feel similar to Sam Mitchell.... but with a bit more pedigree. To really move on from Casey, I think you have to trade his protege, Demar.
                How are Stackhouse and Sam Mitchell remotely similar?

Comment

• Budenholzer makes the most sense. I know he go swept by the Cavs but that doesn't even matter, he got swept by the team that made it to the finals every year. He is a defense first coach who believes in sharing the rock, and can import the San Antonio system to Toronto.

He has won 4 championships as an assistant with San Antonio, and won 60 games with Atlanta (going 17-0 in one month).

If not him then take a chance on Stackhouse I say.
                  "Defense wins championships."

Comment

He wasn't really a star, just an above average player. HoFers like Kidd, who went into coaching didn't do well, then you have role players like Walton and Kerr who are doing very well. I'd say Stackhouse falls in the middle between Kidd and Walton/Kerr as a player.
                    Last edited by A.I; Sat May 12, 2018, 01:48 PM.

Comment

• I agree Stackhouse is not a star, but he was a very tough and gritty player. Kicked the shit out of a couple of players too. I'm just scared he might beef with Lowry.
                      "Defense wins championships."

Comment

• Messina Messina Messina

Budenholzer seems like a lateral move. I don’t doubt he could be a better coach than Casey but I just really don’t like hiring a coach who’s already failed and been fired before.

Comment

• SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
                          I agree Stackhouse is not a star, but he was a very tough and gritty player. Kicked the shit out of a couple of players too. I'm just scared he might beef with Lowry.
                          "Scared he might beef with Lowry" that could be a good thing actually.

Comment

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
                            Messina Messina Messina

Budenholzer seems like a lateral move. I don’t doubt he could be a better coach than Casey but I just really don’t like hiring a coach who’s already failed and been fired before.
                            Bud and the Hawks left on mutual terms. Plus pretty much all NBA coaches have been fired at some point. Pop and Bud are two that come to mind that haven't.

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
                              Bud and the Hawks left on mutual terms. Plus pretty much all NBA coaches have been fired at some point. Pop and Bud are two that come to mind that haven't.
                              Jerry Sloane resigned. BTW I don't think you can replicate the Spurs success but certainly the Jazz model is also a good blue print to follow ( tough, defensive minded players with good character).

Comment

• Messina
                                Hammon
                                Bud
                                Mamba Mentality

Comment

Working...
                                X