Potential Coaching Candidates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planetmars wrote: View Post
    I wonder if Masai will hire a coach before the draft or after. And on top of that.. does he make a decision on the coach before he looks at his roster (*cough* DeRozan or Lowry *cough*) which really could mean the same thing (Norm's value will be at its peak during the draft for example).

It feels like Masai wants the team to play a certain way (hence that culture talk last year, and the looking into Bud this year). But on the other hand he also likes to pick guys that suits his coach's strengths.

Looking forward to any kind of news. And we really should be looking away from Nurse/Rex (especially Rex). Need a brand new voice in that locker room.
    We don't have a pick in this draft so I don't think it matters when the coach is hired, but I do think Masai wants this done as soon as possible. If they promote one of the assistants or find another assistant coach somewhere then I'm expecting that they are tanking or taking a step back. If they land a big name coach or some savant from the college or international ranks then I'd be expecting the Raptors to make a big push to improve their roster this summer. Any news at all would be nice.

Comment

• Mindlessness wrote: View Post
      Was Casey specifically said to have been the mastermind the defence for the Mavs in the '11 run? I actually don't remember anything explicitly coming out along those lines.
      Yes, Casey was the guy who masterminded the Mavs defence. It was the big sales pitch when they hired him, and it's a theme that's been revisited in recent articles about how the current pace and space NBA is all his fault, having driven Miami to make Bosh take outside shots and fill their roster with shooters after James couldn't beat Casey's defence by himself, which snowballed into the Warriors and the current league wide trends.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
        Yes, Casey was the guy who masterminded the Mavs defence. It was the big sales pitch when they hired him, and it's a theme that's been revisited in recent articles about how the current pace and space NBA is all his fault, having driven Miami to make Bosh take outside shots and fill their roster with shooters after James couldn't beat Casey's defence by himself, which snowballed into the Warriors and the current league wide trends.
        Dwane Casey, the axis on which the NBA pivots.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
          Thatā€™s a big stretch, because Dā€™Antoni is the one who is rightfully claiming ownership of the pace and space revolution. George Karl should get a nod too.

And as far as dreaming up mastermind defences, theyā€™re all pretty useless if you canā€™t hold your players accountable to consistently execute the schemes. Rick Carlisle had that unenviably task, but heā€™s a hardass anyway.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
            That’s a big stretch, because D’Antoni is the one who is rightfully claiming ownership of the pace and space revolution. George Karl should get a nod too.

And as far as dreaming up mastermind defences, they’re all pretty useless if you can’t hold your players accountable to consistently execute the schemes. Rick Carlisle had that unenviably task, but he’s a hardass anyway.
            Oh, I don't disagree. I'm just saying, he was definitely the guy who masterminded the defence, for sure. The pace and space thing was just a point some recent articles have been making re: Casey, and I only brought it up to relate to the "he definitely thought up that defence" point.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• To continue the rabbit trail, I think the last nail in the coffin of the offensive shift was when the Heat beat the Spurs with great ball movement. Because the recent trend there was hyperactive, overhelping defence (it's what Miami did, too), and when the Heat turned that series it was suddenly apparent that even a great defence on a high calibre team like the Spurs coached by a GOAT coach could be beat by just passing the ball in a well spaced offence with some movement and great shooters (and pick and rolls). When the ball started flying around the Miami offence and the Spurs couldn't keep up - definite eureka moment. That was more than the SSOL Suns having fun but never breaking through the 3rd round, that was a team winning the championship by beating a great defence with better offence.
              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
                Nurse with that Erman guy as his assistant could maybe be interesting.
                Erman is an associate head coach, right under the head coach. Not sure he comes for a lateral move, but who knows?

Comment

• One thing to consider is I think Nurse and Stack both definitely probably change franchises if an outsider is brought in
                  9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                    One thing to consider is I think Nurse and Stack both definitely probably change franchises if an outsider is brought in
                    I wonder if hiring from within makes Masai more likely to shakeup the DD/KL duo.

Comment

• I'm really interested in a strong analytics coach, so very interested in people who have worked with Poppovich or Stevens.

Jay LarraƱaga
                      Darren Erman
                      Becky Hammond
                      and of course, Ettore Messina.

Erman does sound great, and I could definately even get behind a staff of Nurse, Stack and Erman... who cares which is "head" coach.

Comment

• I strongly disagree woth D'Antoni deserving any credit. His teams have always depended on a generational playmaker, not superb schemes. Much like Don Nelson's coaching tendencies going back way before D'Antoni got into the league, it's a volume offence more than pace and space.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                          I strongly disagree woth D'Antoni deserving any credit. His teams have always depended on a generational playmaker, not superb schemes. Much like Don Nelson's coaching tendencies going back way before D'Antoni got into the league, it's a volume offence more than pace and space.

There must be some "chicken and egg" to that though.. Nash and harden both took a huge offensive leap under dantoni
                          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

There must be some "chicken and egg" to that though.. Nash and harden both took a huge offensive leap under dantoni
                            Never underestimate the unwillingness of some to credit D'Antoni. Terrific coach who absolutely was at the forefront of what is happening now.

Comment

Not really that huge. They just had the ball in their hands even more than before, and D'Antoni asking them to push it more. There is very little ball movement in the offence as a whole, apart from whatever the ballhandler creates.

Comment

• Quirk wrote: View Post
                                I'm really interested in a strong analytics coach, so very interested in people who have worked with Poppovich or Stevens.

Jay LarraƱaga
                                Darren Erman
                                Becky Hammond
                                and of course, Ettore Messina.

Erman does sound great, and I could definately even get behind a staff of Nurse, Stack and Erman... who cares which is "head" coach.
                                The three-headed monster head-coach? Now that's definitely a revolutionary trend setter. Surely you are not serious! Which one gets to call the time outs

Comment

Working...
                                X