No announcement yet.

Potential Coaching Candidates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah; Rex REALLY shouldn't even be in the running. Like outside of just courtesy.
    "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
    "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• Truth Teller wrote: View Post
      By looking at the guy... you're telling me you would not respect a guy that looks like Chauncey Billups???
      No, becuase I'd constantly be saying his name in my head in a squeaky high English accent.
      Hello Coach Chauncey, come over here Chauncey, what's the plan Chauncey?
      Last edited by G__Deane; Thu May 17, 2018, 08:14 AM.

Comment

• I have zero legitimate insight into who's actually a good candidate. I think Masai will make a good choice.
        "Stop eating your sushi."
        "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
        "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
          I have zero legitimate insight into who's actually a good candidate. I think Masai will make a good choice.
          I'm a huge Masai guy, but I have to admit I'm really nervous on this one. He's never hired or fired a coach until this off-season. And that first firing came 3 years too late and it was about as awkward as it could possibly get. We are in uncharted waters here. I think he's still in shock over just how quickly the wheels came off.

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
            Messina might be the most qualified but I was listening to a Woj podcast and he brought up good points about the chemistry the new coach has to have with the players and the front office. Ive heard Messina can be a bit of a hard ass. Could this be why he hasn’t been offered a head coaching job?

I think he is my second choice to Jeff Van Gundy. Although I think that is a long shot.
            Someone pleeeeaaase post one of those classic photos of JVG at the end of the regular season, LOL. The guy always looks like a complete wreck, like he hasn't selpt in days hahaha. Let's not do that to the poor smuck.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
              I'm a huge Masai guy, but I have to admit I'm really nervous on this one. He's never hired or fired a coach until this off-season. And that first firing came 3 years too late and it was about as awkward as it could possibly get. We are in uncharted waters here. I think he's still in shock over just how quickly the wheels came off.
              I got nervous as soon as it became clear they had no one lined up.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
                No, becuase I'd constantly be saying his name in my head in a squeaky high English accent.
                Hello Coach Chauncey, come over here Chauncey, what's the plan Chauncey?
                dude you're like the only one who has that issue.
                Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                  Many potential candidates. Good luck to RR's own T Rex, interviewing today

9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Is that clear? I was pretty sure they wanted Nurse (or maybe Stack) to take the reins, and just did some due diligence. They never even made Bud an offer.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Do we really know that they had nobody lined up for sure..... or are Nick Nurse and Stackhouse the fallback plan, but the optics of announcing that right away would have been terrible and also just out of respect to Casey?

edit: ^^ see above. lol.

Comment

• I'd be interested to know if Masai is even in Toronto right now or if he's abroad somewhere interviewing someone as we speak.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                          Is that clear? I was pretty sure they wanted Nurse (or maybe Stack) to take the reins, and just did some due diligence. They never even made Bud an offer.
                          golden wrote: View Post
                          Do we really know that they had nobody lined up for sure..... or are Nick Nurse and Stackhouse the fallback plan, but the optics of announcing that right away would have been terrible and also just out of respect to Casey?

edit: ^^ see above. lol.
                          Fair enough. This could all be kabuki theatre or it could be an opportunity to hear outsiders talk about the roster and maybe get some intelligence on other teams, etc. May have been my own bias about how I see the situation.

As for optics, I don't know that hiring someone straightaway would have been that bad if it was a big hire, which is what I was anticipating.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                            I'd be interested to know if Masai is even in Toronto right now or if he's abroad somewhere interviewing someone as we speak.
                            Possibly at the draft combine in Chicago... nice place for interviews

Comment

• patiently waiting for "Everything...." thread
                              Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Fair enough. This could all be kabuki theatre or it could be an opportunity to hear outsiders talk about the roster and maybe get some intelligence on other teams, etc. May have been my own bias about how I see the situation.

As for optics, I don't know that hiring someone straightaway would have been that bad if it was a big hire, which is what I was anticipating.
                                I honestly don't know how you could have hired right away, since nobody expected the worst case scenario..... not only a sweep, but 2 complete no-shows. Most people expect Casey's coaching to lose us a game or two in a series, but the general consensus was that it would go 6 or 7 either way - hard fought games. In that scenario Casey is back, no questions asked, but the unthinkable happened. I think Masai is still in shock.

Comment

Working...
                                X