No announcement yet.

Potential Coaching Candidates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Messina got interviewed by a bunch of teams and wasn't picked up. Seems weird
    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
      The three-headed monster head-coach? Now that's definitely a revolutionary trend setter. Surely you are not serious! Which one gets to call the time outs
      Lowry

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
        I strongly disagree woth D'Antoni deserving any credit. His teams have always depended on a generational playmaker, not superb schemes. Much like Don Nelson's coaching tendencies going back way before D'Antoni got into the league, it's a volume offence more than pace and space.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
        So I assume you also give Steve Kerr and Phil Jackson no credit right? Since for the former, his schemes depend on having arguably the two best shooters in the history of the game and for the former he depended on having the best player (or near it) in the league whether that was MJ, Shaq or Kobe at the time.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
          Messina got interviewed by a bunch of teams and wasn't picked up. Seems weird
          Messina's preferred offense is post-centric, using a post player as the focal point through whom the offense flows - still plenty of passing and three shooting, but with effectively a point center running the offense or at least serving as a secondary ball handler. It's not exactly what most of the league is trying to do right now because most of the league focuses offense through guards. To hire him you'd have to buy in and make sure you get the personnel necessary to execute the plan. The only teams I thought he was a good fit for are New York, Milwaukee and maybe Toronto.

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
            Messina's preferred offense is post-centric, using a post player as the focal point through whom the offense flows - still plenty of passing and three shooting, but with effectively a point center running the offense or at least serving as a secondary ball handler. It's not exactly what most of the league is trying to do right now because most of the league focuses offense through guards. To hire him you'd have to buy in and make sure you get the personnel necessary to execute the plan. The only teams I thought he was a good fit for are New York, Milwaukee and maybe Toronto.
            Time to find out if JV can pass the ball!
            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
              So I assume you also give Steve Kerr and Phil Jackson no credit right? Since for the former, his schemes depend on having arguably the two best shooters in the history of the game and for the former he depended on having the best player (or near it) in the league whether that was MJ, Shaq or Kobe at the time.
              There is complexity to what Kerr, Jackson and even Pops run. It requires all 5 players to be engaged and reacting a certain way. D'Antoni's? Not so much.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                If it's passing from the C we need...
                the answer's pretty clear as to who takes this franchise to the next level...

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                  I strongly disagree woth D'Antoni deserving any credit. His teams have always depended on a generational playmaker, not superb schemes. Much like Don Nelson's coaching tendencies going back way before D'Antoni got into the league, it's a volume offence more than pace and space.

You’re overlooking other innovative stuff he did like putting 6-8 Boris Diaw at center. Back then, I was like: wtf, how is this even working? That’s like a really early version of the Warriors with Draymond.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                    You’re overlooking other innovative stuff he did like putting 6-8 Boris Diaw at center. Back then, I was like: wtf, how is this even working? That’s like a really early version of the Warriors with Draymond.
                    I'm not overlooking it, he had no other options. They rarely had viable options at the big spots after Stoudemire. He was trying to play his more talented players as much as possible. Not really earth shattering stuff.

Last edited by white men can't jump; Fri May 18, 2018, 10:40 PM.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                      Anyone can pass the ball it’s about making the right choices in the flow of the offense. To win a championship your players have to have B.B. iq. So we should be building in that direction anyways

Comment

• Look, I'm not saying D'Antoni is a bad coach, I just don't buy into the idea that he revolutionized the game.

Not many coaches do that at all. Can't really say Jackson did, and I'm not convinced Kerr has either. His decision to go small ball so much has also been largely dictated by a lack of two-way value at the C position. Bogut was the best they had, and he was a liability offensively in the first championship run, which led to his minutes going down in that run as Kerr opted to have 5 legit threats on the court so the D couldn't cheat off somebody.

Players revolutionize the game. Most things coaches do have been done before, and when something looks like it's new it's mostly because of the players involved. Good coaches recognize when an unorthodox choice makes sense because of a player offering a viable alternative. D'Antoni is that, a good coach and respect to him for always looking to establish identity as well (something I'm still not all too sure ever happened in Toronto with any coach). But, great coaches also recognize how to make the game easier for all 5 players on the court, and I've never really seen that from D'Antoni as his "system" puts a massive burden on his main ballhandler to execute and dominate the flow of the game. Can it win? Maybe. Riley basically rode that kind of plan during the Showtime years. I wouldn't say he revolutionized the game, but Magic did.

The trend in spacing was also inevitable, as the 3pt shot slowly got more and more valued over time. If you want to credit anyone for how the game has changed in that respect, again, look to the players. It became more and more expected for guys to have a passable shot. It became standard for wings, as we saw post-Jordan with the Kobe, McGrady, Vince, Pierce, etc., who would use the shot far more than iso-scorers of generations past. And then when Dirk hit the league it completely blew up the way the big spots were used offensively. And the NBA made a pretty massive rule change when it allowed zone Ds back into the game, further putting the onus on players to be better shooters and making it harder for elite talents to win games just with iso-ball.

Comment

• Other Scott wrote: View Post
                          Depends. Maybe from a X's and O's standpoint the team has a better plan to handle the Cavs, but the players aren't playing up to their potential anymore because they don't have the same respect for how they're being used or treated, or aren't being put in the best situations for them to succeed.

In other words, a new coach may be able to increase the difference between the floor of the team and the ceiling of the team, which is something Casey was never able to do. But they also may lower the floor of the team, so the net result is neutral to negative. Think OKC - massive ceiling, but the floor is so low with how poorly the players work together at times that they don't hit that ceiling very often and it can look ugly.

I'm not saying that's guaranteed but that's the risk they're taking by hiring a new coach. And I think Casey was a top 3 "floor" coach really behind only Stevens and Pop, so you got to get a really good X's and O's guy to make up for that.
                          I agree 100%.
                          Bringing DC back would likely get us another 50,55 plus season and quick exit in playoffs.
                          Is there a risk with new coach? Absolutely.
                          However, if the goal is is to win it all, imo its a no brainer.
                          Another Q: Is it a coach or players?
                          Imo, its a lot easier to replace Casey than several players.
                          I still believe that this Raps team was good enough to go to finals. Not w Casey. Not this year, not ever just my opinion.
                          Frankly I dont envee Masai’s situation, but thats why he is GM and we are fans.

Ps
                          Im not sure Id put Casey as a top 3 coach, just my opinion.

Comment

• Is there any chance of Kenny Smith coaching for the Raptors?

Is there any possibility of Kenny Smith coaching for the Raptors?

According to NBA.com, Kenny smith has shown significant interest in a coaching gig

Personally, I can see Kenny Smith being like Stever Kerr 2.0

You know, that special coach who pushed warriors beyond semi-finals..

What do you guys think?

Can you guys imagine Kenny Smith coaching for the Raptors?

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                              One thing to consider is I think Nurse and Stack both definitely probably change franchises if an outsider is brought in
                              Personally, I dont see Stack as HC unless Masai goes tanking (and I dont see it).
                              Now, if Masai trades at least I of DD or KL , anything goes.
                              That decision can land him fired or executive of the year.
                              I have faith in MU.

Comment

• No.

Comment

Working...
                                X