Potential Coaching Candidates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
    Bud and the Hawks left on mutual terms. Plus pretty much all NBA coaches have been fired at some point. Pop and Bud are two that come to mind that haven't.
    I mean that doesn’t change the fact that he failed.

Comment

• Someone who preaches defense, look at Boston, they're still competitive despite so many injuries cause they defend.

I prefer Bud because he actually has head coach experience. I think he is suited to running an established veteran team just like Atlanta was when he got there. We are arguably more developed as a team then Atlanta was when he got there and then still led them to 60 wins. Defense wins in the playoffs and from the research that I have done he is highly touted as a defensive coach.

The way that Atlanta team shared the rock reminded me od San Antonio which is a huge complement.

My short list is now:
      Bud
      Messina
      Stackhouse
      "Defense wins championships."

Comment

• Everyone fails, Jordan failed against the pistons several times before he won a championship.
        "Defense wins championships."

Comment

• SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
          Everyone fails, Jordan failed against the pistons several times before he won a championship.
          I agree with you.

But again, failing to beat a Lebron team where the second best player is JR Smith/Mosgov while your team is at its best and healthy gives me no confidence in him as a coach.

We probably would’ve been able to beat Cleveland if Love doesn’t play this series.

Comment

• Looked up stats for that series.

Korver missed 2 games.

Atlanta’s 3 point shooting was horrid.

Lebron nearly averaged a triple double.

Comment

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
              Looked up stats for that series.

Korver missed 2 games.

Atlanta’s 3 point shooting was horrid.

Lebron nearly averaged a triple double.
              And Carroll couldn't stop him either..

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
                And Carroll couldn't stop him either..
                I don’t think anyone can

But yeah Carroll had an abysmal series.

7points a game and got torched by Lebron

Comment

• I think I want to try Messina his record is undeniable

Comment

• https://youtu.be/AajtaR1iSGY

Comment

I don’t think anyone can

But yeah Carroll had an abysmal series.

7points a game and got torched by Lebron
                      And yet when Ujiri signed him , he was hailed as a Lebron stopper. Who knew that someone like Lance Stephenson would actually put a dent in Lebron's game but Masai would have never get a guy like that instead. A combination of Bizmack, Lance and OG all thrown at James maybe would have been enough.

Comment

I agree with you.

But again, failing to beat a Lebron team where the second best player is JR Smith/Mosgov while your team is at its best and healthy gives me no confidence in him as a coach.

We probably would’ve been able to beat Cleveland if Love doesn’t play this series.
                        Basically the same situation as the Raps this season. The lesson, you ain't beating LBJ with just all-stars, at least not so far anyways. I guess he'll regress at some point. It's gonna be interesting to see if Stevens can get some wins off LBJ. If he does, people are gonna wonder what that team can do when healthy. I don't know, but maybe the coach isn't the issue. Maybe it's just LBJ's dominance. Maybe Bud or even Casey can coach a series win against LBJ if they have a superstar on the roster.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
                          Jerry Sloane resigned. BTW I don't think you can replicate the Spurs success but certainly the Jazz model is also a good blue print to follow ( tough, defensive minded players with good character).
                          Damn now there's a blast from the past...Jerry Sloan! Is he available...

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
                            Basically the same situation as the Raps this season. The lesson, you ain't beating LBJ with just all-stars, at least not so far anyways. I guess he'll regress at some point. It's gonna be interesting to see if Stevens can get some wins off LBJ. If he does, people are gonna wonder what that team can do when healthy. I don't know, but maybe the coach isn't the issue. Maybe it's just LBJ's dominance. Maybe Bud or even Casey can coach a series win against LBJ if they have a superstar on the roster.
                            I agree with this sentiment. And Casey proved he could stop Lebron with the right roster (somewhat by luck tho) with Dallas.

But we’re past that. We fired Casey, and now I’m looking for a CLEAR upgrade. I’m not certain Bud is.

Comment

• I think it will be Budenholzer and I think he's the best choice.

I say this based on being a Hawks fan (lived in Atlanta for 7 years and had season tickets) and watching a ton of their games.

He's an amazing X's and O's coach, there's a reason he was Pop's top assistant for 17 years. His offense moves the ball through everyone and gets the best shots possible. He's also adept at getting the most out of big men (Horford and Millsap played their best basketball under Bud).

As many have pointed out, his defenses were stifling too.

I also fully understand why he wanted out of Atlanta. The ownership there sucks big time. The fan base sucks big time (arena is half empty all the time). He was hired by Danny Ferry who was actually doing a good job as GM but he said some racially questionable remarks in a meeting about Luol Deng and was fired. Then they tried to let Bud be the GM and Coach at the same time and that didn't work out so well (didn't work out well for SVG either), the guy can coach but he can't GM. Now the Hawks are trying to full on tank for next few years and coach Bud wants to win games so they parted ways.

Udoka and Hammon would be much less experienced crappier versions of coach Bud. Messina is the only other coach I'd be happy about since he is also very experienced as a head coach and ready to lead a top level team.

Anyone not excited about Bud never watched him coach and just looked at the 0-8 against the Cavs in the playoffs. They didn't watch those games. The Hawks were competitive and looked like they had a chance to win most of those games. Lots of incorrect "facts" being spewed.

The 60 win Hawks team that lost to the Cavs in the ECF, the Cavs starting lineup was Iriving, Shumpert, Mozgov, Lebron, and Thompson. That's everyone except Love. The Cavs also swept the Celtics (coached by Brad Stevens) in round 1.

Next year they played a Cavs team with a starting lineup of Irving, Smith, Love, Thompson, Lebron. That's everyone. They also went on to beat the Warriors in the finals, so it was a pretty fucking good team.

The Hawks were pretty garbage talent wise outside of Horford and Millsap. Budenholzer is an excellent coach and we'd be lucky to have him.
                              Last edited by Primer; Sat May 12, 2018, 06:26 PM.

Comment

I agree with this sentiment. And Casey proved he could stop Lebron with the right roster (somewhat by luck tho) with Dallas.

But we’re past that. We fired Casey, and now I’m looking for a CLEAR upgrade. I’m not certain Bud is.
                                yeah I'm not either, but it's a roll of the dice with coaches it seems.

Comment

Working...
                                X