No announcement yet.

Everything Norman Powell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We keeping Norm!! and I don't want to hear anything about it!

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
      I'll take CJ over Norm because his shooting will come around and he's a smarter player.

Comment

• Comment

• Beneperez wrote: View Post
          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Great to have Norm back.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
              SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
              Great to have Norm back.
              I told everyone here that Powell was actually good, and that if the Raptors stopped using him as a shooter (he's not that good of a shooter) and started using him as a slasher, then he would stop looking so goddamn awful and start looking great. I also said that the Raptors would need his abilities this season.

https://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2019...norman-powell/

Yet Powell has not only been a positive, but he’s been needed since his return from injury. The bench has required his creation, and he’s remained efficient despite playing the majority of his minutes alongside Toronto’s D-team. The film shows discrete improvements that numbers fail to capture. The outline is there of a useful player who will stick in the league long-term.

Powell has been miscast for some time. He just isn’t a 3-D wing. On offence, he doesn’t move well enough without the ball – or shoot well enough – to fit that mold. He prefers to catch the ball, pull it out a few feet behind the arc, and attack a stationary defence. That has destroyed the team’s offence in past years, especially when he played alongside a starting lineup last year that didn’t need another shot creator. His current role playing within an offence-starved bench unit is perfect, especially now that he seems to have excised poor decisions from his game.
              https://www.raptorshq.com/2018/12/30...ors-bench-unit

The increase in minutes at shooting guard (sans DeRozan) has greatly expanded Norm’s role in the bench offense. He’s seen himself become a secondary ball-handler — a role in which he has, so far, excelled in. It’s resulted in — almost counter-intuitively — a decrease in turnovers and an increase in successful drive-and-kicks thanks to his ability to draw post defenders to his drives — which has become one of his biggest strengths thanks to his size.
              In being able to watch the bench fail to create offense on a nightly basis, aside from the occasional blistering scoring performance from Jonas Valanciunas (before the injury) or Fred VanVleet (and with Delon Wright still struggling to find an ounce of scoring consistency for most of the team’s first two months), Powell was able to identify the holes in the bench offense and adjust his game accordingly upon his return to help bolster shot creation in the second unit.

Comment

• DerozansSpurs wrote: View Post
                I told everyone here that Powell was actually good, and that if the Raptors stopped using him as a shooter (he's not that good of a shooter) and started using him as a slasher, then he would stop looking so goddamn awful and start looking great. I also said that the Raptors would need his abilities this season.

https://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2019...norman-powell/

https://www.raptorshq.com/2018/12/30...ors-bench-unit
                He's playing basically the same role he has all season. He's just not being an idiot right now, and most importantly he's hitting his shots. He's taken 49% of his attempts as threes this season. In his top 5 production games (by bball-ref's game score), three of which have come in this latest stretch since he returned from injury, that number is 46%. In the top two, again both coming in this latest stretch, it's 42%. If his full season 3PAr was 42% instead of 49%, he'd slide from 8th on the team in 3PAr to 9th. It's not a role thing at all. It's a Norm deciding to suck less thing.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                  He's playing basically the same role he has all season. He's just not being an idiot right now, and most importantly he's hitting his shots. He's taken 49% of his attempts as threes this season. In his top 5 production games (by bball-ref's game score), three of which have come in this latest stretch since he returned from injury, that number is 46%. In the top two, again both coming in this latest stretch, it's 42%. If his full season 3PAr was 42% instead of 49%, he'd slide from 8th on the team in 3PAr to 9th. It's not a role thing at all. It's a Norm deciding to suck less thing.
                  Actually, I think Derozan-Spurs is on to something. Everybody was talking about Powell being best utilized as a 3&D wing, but that's not his game. He's a slasher, but he needed to sharpen up a few skills to be more than a straight line driver: (1) overall improved handle, (2) hesitation dribble (3) counter moves, (4) better BBIQ.

He's visibly improved in the first 3 skill areas and Norm mentioned that he's also been working with Phil Handy on the BBIQ part, breaking down film, etc.... Handy is really good at what he does and it looks like that injury downtime was a blessing. Powell's overall craftiness and ability to change speeds looks like it's taken a step forward.

Comment

Actually, I think Derozan-Spurs is on to something. Everybody was talking about Powell being best utilized as a 3&D wing, but that's not his game. He's a slasher, but he needed to sharpen up a few skills to be more than a straight line driver: (1) overall improved handle, (2) hesitation dribble (3) counter moves, (4) better BBIQ.

He's visibly improved in the first 3 skill areas and Norm mentioned that he's also been working with Phil Handy on the BBIQ part, breaking down film, etc.... Handy is really good at what he does and it looks like that injury downtime was a blessing. Powell's overall craftiness and ability to change speeds looks like it's taken a step forward.
                    No one has argued against skill development for Norm. The argument is a role change, which is not what has happened here. He's still mostly being used as a floor spacer with occasional slashing/creation, as he should be to fit within this roster. He doesn't have the creation chops to be a primary creator even with the bench - he could be fine in a secondary/tertiary role alongside Wright, FVV, and Siakam. But that still puts his primary role as off ball spot up shooter.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                      No one has argued against skill development for Norm. The argument is a role change, which is not what has happened here. He's still mostly being used as a floor spacer with occasional slashing/creation, as he should be to fit within this roster. He doesn't have the creation chops to be a primary creator even with the bench - he could be fine in a secondary/tertiary role alongside Wright, FVV, and Siakam. But that still puts his primary role as off ball spot up shooter.
                      That's where I think you keep missing the point of what Nurse appears to be trying to do here. Even obvious 'floor spacers' like OG and Serge (wtf) are being allowed to dribble drive and create their own shot. Nurse is giving every player a much higher degree of freedom than Casey's role cards ever did. He's allowing his players to use regular season games to practice their full skill set to see what is going to work in the playoffs. And sometimes it looks like shite. FVV is the other obvious example. Norm may be lining up initially as a floor spacer, but he's finding success back to his natural slashing mentality with an improved skill set and he's being allowed to drive and kick. Nurse's roles aren't as etched in stone as you're making them sound... you've probably got used to watching Casey coach for too long.

Comment

That's where I think you keep missing the point of what Nurse appears to be trying to do here. Even obvious 'floor spacers' like OG and Serge (wtf) are being allowed to dribble drive and create their own shot. Nurse is giving every player a much higher degree of freedom than Casey's role cards ever did. He's allowing his players to use regular season games to practice their full skill set to see what is going to work in the playoffs. And sometimes it looks like shite. FVV is the other obvious example. Norm may be lining up initially as a floor spacer, but he's finding success back to his natural slashing mentality with an improved skill set and he's being allowed to drive and kick. Nurse's roles aren't as etched in stone as you're making them sound... you've probably got used to watching Casey coach for too long.
                        I'm not missing the point. I get it. I'm just making some observations: first, that it sucks to watch and hurts the team in the short term. Even if there are long term benefits, it's important to establish those things. Because of the second observation: we are optimistically assuming this is what Nurse is doing, and assuming that when it comes to it, players will be placed back into their best roles as defaults and be prepared to do the extra stuff when defences force them to - and if that doesn't happen, we know it will likely remain ugly. I'm with you on assuming Nurse is doing this intentionally and doesn't mind losing games to make it happen - that was his sales pitch, after all.

I'm not saying Powell can't do those things, nor am I saying he shouldn't be doing those things. He should! One of the best attributes for a 3+D player to have (besides the 3 and the D) is the ability to a) attack closeouts off the dribble and b) create offence from there. That's a high end role player, and is what Norm showed flashes of and what he got paid for. But the argument is that Powell should be used primarily as a slasher - which means giving him the ball and having him create offence, which is fine for skill development, but not for the success of the team, and more importantly is not what is happening in this recent stretch. Norm is getting the occasional play to run PnR, like he always has, but is mostly staying off ball and getting his shots and slashes in off of secondary action. He's just doing better with them by playing smarter and hitting his shots more. I'd love if there were an obvious correlation with role change that explained his better performance - that's exactly the sort of thing I'm constantly looking for in my analysis of the team and how I try to develop my opinions on what lineups should fit together and what looks should be avoided. But that's not the case here. He's just playing better within the same role he had earlier in the season.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Ahem...

BUMP.

Went searching.. This thread was TWELVE pages back ... one thread ahead of regular season game #37. But Norm certainly came to the fore in this series. (Found Shao’s thread suggesting we trade Kawhi while searching for this one, lol.)

Not sure if we could have done it without Norm’s work frankly, (and that goes for a number of guys.)

Thats gotta be one of the best birthdays ever. Good on him.

God bless playoff Powell. More of that good stuff next round please.

Comment

• Norm certainly earned his money this playoffs. I feel like he's hit another level this month. To be able to bring it like this at the highest level is uncommon in the league for bench players. It's a luxury the Raptors have which the Warriors do not. If the Raptors best the Warriors it will be because the starters came through and the bench came through. Norm is very important, he needs to keep this up.

Comment

• Just have to see whether this round was just the magic of vs-the-Bucks Norm or if he can maintain this effectiveness in the next round. He's certainly looked great.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Here’s the Norman Powell thread Puffer...
                                Was on page 7

Here’s hoping he can give us much more to talk about this year, in the right way.

Comment

Working...
                                X