The Space Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Pretty remarkable how fast we're finding new stars (and as a result, habitable planets) compared to just 10 years ago.
    Just wait until my baby, JWST, gets up there.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
      Just wait until my baby, JWST, gets up there.
      You're working on the James Webb?!? Stop delaying it and launch it already!! Lol
      That thing is going to change how we see space I think .. can't wait.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
        You're working on the James Webb?!? Stop delaying it and launch it already!! Lol
        That thing is going to change how we see space I think .. can't wait.
        Hey, I finished my work on it about a decade ago! I'm not holding it up! We actually just finished supporting some testing during the big hurricanes in late summer/early fall, so it's coming. But I've been waiting longer than most on this bad boy, I understand the impatience.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
          Hey, I finished my work on it about a decade ago! I'm not holding it up! We actually just finished supporting some testing during the big hurricanes in late summer/early fall, so it's coming. But I've been waiting longer than most on this bad boy, I understand the impatience.
          Are you at/with CSA?

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
            Are you at/with CSA?
            Nah. Work at one of many Canadian space companies to get a hand in the work, though.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Neat. New pic of Jupiter.

Is it just me, or is it super unnerving to see a picture like this, and know that there is no actual ground beneath those 'clouds'?

Comment

• Wow. Looks like a Munch painting.

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                  Fastest asteroid was clocked at 64,000 mph. This thing is flying at 196,000 mph. What the fuck?!
                  They're coming to talk with the very sane genius leader of the world!

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                    They're coming to talk with the very sane genius leader of the world!
                    can you imagine how fucking epic it would be if trump was the first to meet aliens. oh my god. that is my new greatest hope.

Comment

• Most powerful rocket on earth, Falcon Heavy, the same one that will one day take us to Mars, it launching tomorrow .. and Musk gives it a 50-50 chance of success. Haha

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018...ce-of-success/
                      Really interesting read.

Comment

Most powerful rocket on earth, Falcon Heavy, the same one that will one day take us to Mars, it launching tomorrow .. and Musk gives it a 50-50 chance of success. Haha

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018...ce-of-success/
                        Really interesting read.
                        The space is so cool.

Comment

Neat. New pic of Jupiter.

Is it just me, or is it super unnerving to see a picture like this, and know that there is no actual ground beneath those 'clouds'?
                          I never understood how a planet with no actual surface can be considered a planet. It's just a ball of gas isn't it? I probably sound like an idiot asking this, but it's always been strange to me hm.

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                            I never understood how a planet with no actual surface can be considered a planet. It's just a ball of gas isn't it? I probably sound like an idiot asking this, but it's always been strange to me hm.
                            Blame the ancient Greeks. Planet means wanderer, not ball of dirt. When they looked up they saw the planets move across the sky, unlike the stars. And astronomers are sticklers for tradition.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                              Not stupid at all. Especially in light of the re-definining of the term "Planet" about 10 years ago, when the debate about Pluto came about.

The "new" definition is "a planet is a body that orbits the Sun, is massive enough for its own gravity to make it round, and has 'cleared its neighbourhood' of smaller objects around its orbit."[the last two were where Pluto fell out]

In terms of Mass, Jupiter actually has a larger mass than ALL other planets combined (2.5x to be precise), even though it's 'just' Gas.

Comment

• Elon Musk is da man.

Comment

Working...
                                X