No announcement yet.

The Space Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So......we might be back to 9 planets again?

For almost a century scientists have suspected that an undiscovered planet is lurking on the edge of our solar system, and now there's new evidence that this mysterious "Planet X" really does exist.
    "We have found evidence that there’s a giant planet in the outer solar system," astronomer and "Pluto Killer" Mike Brown told Popular Science. "By 'giant' we mean the size of Neptune, and when we say 'outer solar system' we mean 10 to 20 times farther away than Pluto."
    http://www.techinsider.io/planet-x-n...aign=buffer-ti

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
      So......we might be back to 9 planets again?

http://www.techinsider.io/planet-x-n...aign=buffer-ti
      That's pretty wild, considering Pluto is twice as far away as Neptune. Lol

All the planets are pretty tightly packed together, and then Pluto is WAY the fuck out there ... and now they say there's one WAAAAAAY the fuck out there ... that's pretty crazy. So I guess Horizons will find it eventually??

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
        That's pretty wild, considering Pluto is twice as far away as Neptune. Lol

All the planets are pretty tightly packed together, and then Pluto is WAY the fuck out there ... and now they say there's one WAAAAAAY the fuck out there ... that's pretty crazy. So I guess Horizons will find it eventually??
        I thought Horizon had crossed some kind of solar system envelope, no? If it isn't close to this distance I'd be very surprised if they were to cross paths, or can Horizon's path be controlled? Could this planet be too far off to be considered our 9th?

Very interesting. Is solar system defined by orbit or is there another measure?

Comment

Was thinking of Voyager1 and the heliopause.

Comment

SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
            I thought Horizon had crossed some kind of solar system envelope, no? If it isn't close to this distance I'd be very surprised if they were to cross paths, or can Horizon's path be controlled? Could this planet be too far off to be considered our 9th?

You may find something on this in the linked interview with the scientist (one of two) who tries to explain the finding.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/we-ca...-its-presence/

Comment

Solar System is basically defined as the entire "community" of objects orbiting a Star.
              So if it orbits our Sun, then its part of the Solar System.

What blows my mind is that something that big can still be bound by the suns gravitational field, that far out.

Newton came up with a formula to figure all that stuff out, in terms of "if something is this big, and moving this fast, and is this far from an object, what is the energy exerted on said object." I have to assume they've done that math, and figured that it is indeed possible.

And that's basically how they figure this planet exists .. there's some weird shit going on out there, and the only way to explain said weird shit, is if there was a giant planet wrangling up all these separately effected objects. No one has actually seen it or anything... even though they can see all of the objects getting messed up by it. Its now sort of a needle in a giant hay-universe .. except they know its path, but now they still need to track it down.
              Last edited by Joey; Mon Jan 25, 2016, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Looks like Voyager 1 is in interstellar space at 20 bill km. This thing apparently might go as far as 100 bill miles away from the sun on its orbit. Crazy.

Comment

Looks like Voyager 1 is in interstellar space at 20 bill km. This thing apparently might go as far as 100 bill miles away from the sun on its orbit. Crazy.
                  What's that in light years ... 4 minutes?

Comment

i didn't think voyager was on an orbit. i thought it was destined to roam space beyond the solar system until it tells aliens where we are.

Comment

Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
                      What's that in light years ... 4 minutes?
                      8 minutes to the earth at 93 million miles so 80 minutes per billion roughly

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                        i didn't think voyager was on an orbit. i thought it was destined to roam space beyond the solar system until it tells aliens where we are.
                        I didn't say it was in orbit. I was just wondering how far out interstellar space (and Voyager 1) was compared to this thing's orbit.
                        http://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/where/

Comment

http://www.defenseone.com/technology...-space/125698/

the solar sails are here. the solar sails are here. next step warp drives

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                            http://www.defenseone.com/technology...-space/125698/

the solar sails are here. the solar sails are here. next step warp drives
                            Good find. I cant help feel somewhat underwhelmed at the time decrease factor stated (the Voyager comparison 35:20 yrs.).

C'mon nasa....speed it up!

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                              Good find. I cant help feel somewhat underwhelmed at the time decrease factor stated (the Voyager comparison 35:20 yrs.).

C'mon nasa....speed it up!

it won't be viable for interstellar anything. but mars, titan, europa, enceladus just got way easier and cheaper. if they can show merit or progress it could push more money into research. if germanys' fusion reactor works at high energy levels, who knows what's next

Comment

http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/10/10...nt-live-stream

don't know what the implications are but i think that gravitational waves travel dimensions in string theory, but don't quote me

Comment

Working...
                                X