Likes Likes:  3,916
Page 428 of 721 FirstFirst ... 328 378 418 426 427 428 429 430 438 478 528 ... LastLast
Results 8,541 to 8,560 of 14417

Thread: Politics - The Legend Continues...

  1. #8541
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,475
    Likes (Given)
    12084
    Likes (Received)
    5927

    Default

    Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    It isn't the accused has the right to a fair trail, nope.

    http://www.macleans.ca/politics/otta...-legal-system/

    A possible quick fix they say.
    Not sure what you're trying to say with the whole "fair trial" thing, but from my reading they are trying to make it more fair, no? The defense are literally rejecting people for jury duty based on how they look- because "they look indigenous" - is that fair?
    All that is being suggested, insofar as I can tell, is they are suggesting that you should need a legitimate "cause" to reject someone... what is so crazy and unfair about that?
    Last edited by Joey; Mon Feb 12th, 2018 at 08:08 PM.

  2. #8542
    Raptors Republic Veteran Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,751
    Likes (Given)
    4430
    Likes (Received)
    1662

    Default

    Quote Joey wrote: View Post
    Not sure what you're trying to say with the whole "fair trial" thing, but from my reading they are trying to make it more fair, no? The defense are literally rejecting people for jury duty based on how they look- because "they look indigenous" - is that fair?
    All that is being suggested, insofar as I can tell, is they are suggesting that you should need a legitimate "cause" to reject someone... what is so crazy and unfair about that?
    Laughable that the courts need to be more fair. And an Indian wasn't on trial here at all. What they are saying is racist whites acquitted this white man and what the jury needed was a vindictive racist Indian to give that white what he deserved.


    I have seen a lot of bad court decisions, apparently o.j. isn't a murderer, and this one wasn't a bad decision. Racists are now using it as an excuse to attack our judicious system.

    Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

  3. #8543
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,475
    Likes (Given)
    12084
    Likes (Received)
    5927

    Default

    Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    Laughable that the courts need to be more fair. And an Indian wasn't on trial here at all. What they are saying is racist whites acquitted this white man and what the jury needed was a vindictive racist Indian to give that white what he deserved.
    ... we must have read two different articles then ... Lol

    And just to be clear, since you say it's "laughable", you think it's totally just and fair to be able to deny a person of Jury Duty strictly on how they look? Because that is literally exactly what happened.


    Quote Miekenstien wrote:
    I have seen a lot of bad court decisions, apparently o.j. isn't a murderer, and this one wasn't a bad decision. Racists are now using it as an excuse to attack our judicious system.
    ... so who calling whom a Racist now? Lol The decision is what it is. I'm not saying it was bad. But I am questioning why they would be allowed to deny Jury Duty to someone strictly on how they look. They make a fair point.
    Last edited by Joey; Mon Feb 12th, 2018 at 09:09 PM.

  4. #8544
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Bendit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    10,406
    Likes (Given)
    2650
    Likes (Received)
    1597

    Default

    You must be on Xanax (or the good stuff) Joey.... cool.
    “When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?” J.M. Keynes

  5. #8545
    Raptors Republic Veteran Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,751
    Likes (Given)
    4430
    Likes (Received)
    1662

    Default

    Quote Joey wrote: View Post
    .
    ... so who calling whom a Racist now? Lol The decision is what it is. I'm not saying it was bad. But I am questioning why they would be allowed to deny Jury Duty to someone strictly on how they look. They make a fair point.
    those people are racists. they are making unproven allegations of racism, and are somehow being validated by other racists, and are attempting to find a way to inject race into our court system. that is disgusting, and terrifying. they aren't fighting to change the rules to make it more fair, and anyone who believes that is naive. we can't trust the veracity of these people's remarks, and motives because they are willfully omitting every detail of the case except that he was tried by whites.

    i don't blame the family, they are going through the stages of grief. i blame the media, and the government for giving this wind. it is a disgusting show by the government
    Last edited by Miekenstien; Tue Feb 13th, 2018 at 08:07 AM.

  6. #8546
    Raptors Republic Veteran Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,751
    Likes (Given)
    4430
    Likes (Received)
    1662

    Default


  7. #8547
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,475
    Likes (Given)
    12084
    Likes (Received)
    5927

    Default

    Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    those people are racists. they are making unproven allegations of racism, and are somehow being validated by other racists, and are attempting to find a way to inject race into our court system. that is disgusting, and terrifying. they aren't fighting to change the rules to make it more fair, and anyone who believes that is naive. we can't trust the veracity of these people's remarks, and motives because they are willfully omitting every detail of the case except that he was tried by whites.

    i don't blame the family, they are going through the stages of grief. i blame the media, and the government for giving this wind. it is a disgusting show by the government
    You're not answering my question and completely missing the point - you actually erased my question from my quoted post - you're just calling some people Racists (after which you got all upset about them calling you a racist or somethign?), rambling about some unseen injustice, and looking for any reason whatsoever to be upset with the Canadian Government; any reason at all ... so ok, I guess we're done with this one.
    Last edited by Joey; Tue Feb 13th, 2018 at 09:19 AM.

  8. #8548
    Raptors Republic Veteran Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,751
    Likes (Given)
    4430
    Likes (Received)
    1662

    Default

    Quote Joey wrote: View Post
    You're not answering my question and completely missing the point - you actually erased my question from my quoted post - you're just calling some people Racists (after which you got all upset about them calling you a racist or somethign?), rambling about some unseen injustice, and looking for any reason whatsoever to be upset with the Canadian Government; any reason at all ... so ok, I guess we're done with this one.
    this government has attacked free speech, freedom of religion, is attempting to force speech, and now thinks it has to change our justice system.

    this is horrible stuff.

    edit add: no one called me a racist. they called 12 jurors racists, without any evidence, and that rocketed up to the entire system needing a change based on race. they want to add race to the juror process, that is racist, racists want race in the juror process. i think i answered your question, and none of this is a ramble.
    Last edited by Miekenstien; Tue Feb 13th, 2018 at 09:50 AM.

  9. #8549
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Bendit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    10,406
    Likes (Given)
    2650
    Likes (Received)
    1597

    Default

    Re: the peremptory challenges during the jury selection for the Boushie trial...


    Several Indigenous people were rejected by the defence during jury selection with what are called peremptory challenges.

    “Peremptory challenges just are really asking lawyers to rely on their stereotypes about the person they see,” said Jonathan Rudin with Aboriginal Legal Services in Toronto.

    The message that it sends is just awful … In this case, that Indigenous people cannot be trusted to serve as a juror.”

    During jury selection, the Crown and defence are each given a set number of peremptory challenges and don’t have to give reasons for rejecting a potential juror. Lawyers can also “challenge for cause,” which involves a judge asking potential jurors pre-approved questions, including whether they may have a bias in the case.


    Rudin said it’s time for peremptory challenges to go.

    You never see white people being excluded from the jury because they’re white.”

    http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/...digenous-names
    “When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?” J.M. Keynes

  10. #8550
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,475
    Likes (Given)
    12084
    Likes (Received)
    5927

    Default

    Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    this government has attacked free speech, freedom of religion, is attempting to force speech, and now thinks it has to change our justice system.

    this is horrible stuff.
    To steal a phrase from one of our favourite contributors in here, "it sounds like you're just upset your team lost".

    It's really not that bad Miek (since, of course, none of the above accusation are actually true) - lighten up!

  11. #8551
    Raptors Republic Veteran Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,751
    Likes (Given)
    4430
    Likes (Received)
    1662

    Default

    Quote Joey wrote: View Post
    To steal a phrase from one of our favourite contributors in here, "it sounds like you're just upset your team lost".

    It's really not that bad Miek (since, of course, none of the above accusation are actually true) - lighten up!

  12. #8552
    Raptors Republic Veteran Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,751
    Likes (Given)
    4430
    Likes (Received)
    1662

    Default

    Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    i wanted that one to be funny. this one is better


  13. #8553
    Raptors Republic Veteran Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,751
    Likes (Given)
    4430
    Likes (Received)
    1662

    Default

    http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/01...ts_a_23343799/

    here is singh saying that innocence until proven guilty is a court of laws issue, just a week or two ago. that was from consequences happening without due process. two weeks later and the laws need to be swiftly changed because the courts can't get guilty the way the media wants it.

    http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/jury...nous-1.4531792

  14. #8554
    Raptors Republic Veteran Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,751
    Likes (Given)
    4430
    Likes (Received)
    1662

    Default

    http://torontosun.com/opinion/column...justin-trudeau

    trudeau lying about his education to university students, if the article is correct.

  15. #8555
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,475
    Likes (Given)
    12084
    Likes (Received)
    5927

    Default

    Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    So you're comparing yourself to a SJW? Fair enough ... Lol

  16. #8556
    Raptors Republic Veteran Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,751
    Likes (Given)
    4430
    Likes (Received)
    1662

    Default

    Quote Joey wrote: View Post
    So you're comparing yourself to a SJW? Fair enough ... Lol
    i thought that was what you were doing, lol

  17. #8557
    Raptors Republic Icon rocwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    26,815
    Likes (Given)
    2558
    Likes (Received)
    6514

    Default

    Miek is making a great point about the media. Do you remember MSM headlines after the shooting? White man kills Indigenous man. Why did they choose to go "race route" from the start? Click bait much? I'm sure they knew that rural crime is pretty much 50/50 split between Whites and Indigenous people.

  18. #8558
    Raptors Republic Icon rocwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    26,815
    Likes (Given)
    2558
    Likes (Received)
    6514

    Default

    Lol, so FBI did complete a background check on Rob Porter. I'm speechless. White House knew everything and they still gave him a a temp. security clearance. Fu*king joke.

  19. #8559
    Raptors Republic Icon rocwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    26,815
    Likes (Given)
    2558
    Likes (Received)
    6514

    Default


  20. #8560
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Bendit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    10,406
    Likes (Given)
    2650
    Likes (Received)
    1597

    Default

    Quote rocwell wrote: View Post
    Miek is making a great point about the media. Do you remember MSM headlines after the shooting? White man kills Indigenous man. Why did they choose to go "race route" from the start? Click bait much? I'm sure they knew that rural crime is pretty much 50/50 split between Whites and Indigenous people.
    To be honest I was unaware of the incident (Aug. 2016) and came to this during the trial this year. So, no, I don't remember the headlines you cite. I tried to search going back and found a couple of dispatches by CBC and they cited the name not the race. Can you provide some examples of this reportage you mention?

    As you know, native peoples (especially it seems more so in the west probably because they are in greater numbers in the population) have a tenuous relationship with the majority. So yes, race is always an underlying current when bad things happen. But that Canadian MSM (generalizing) with their headlines baited based on race is a serious charge to make.

    ps...actually western Canadians have a tenuous relationship with central and eastern Canadians...lol.
    “When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?” J.M. Keynes

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •