Page 434 of 434 FirstFirst ... 334 384 424 432 433 434
Results 8,661 to 8,675 of 8675

Thread: Politics - Can we be civilized

Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Guns.

Less guns, less dead people.

Stricter control, less whack jobs own guns, less dead people.

Less Gun violence promoted in culture, less war culture to make money, less dead people.

Harsh gun laws in one state, mean nothing, a state is the size of the Niagara region, its fucking stupid to pretend that you can use that argument.

The gun issues in the US are cultural, it will take 2-3 generations to fully fix it. People always look for quick fixes, and thats the issue. You can't prove a quick fix, thats also stupid.

But what is fact... The United States has a gun violence/war/killing problem so deeply rooted in its sick culture that they can't even see it when you point it out to them. It's a very serious issue. You cannot fully comprehend it by examining, then debating upon isolated incidents, they are too microcosmic. This is the very reason the NRA and the Conservative whack jobs like to perpetuate those very arguments, they don't want big picture thinking to come into play.

2. Likes Nilanka liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some thoughts the day after the indictments:

a) this set of indictments ONLY deals with the on ground Russian interference in the elections using social media, demonstrations etc. Yet to come I believe are those dealing with hacking, wikileaks, Cambridge Analytica, actual collusion (Trump Tower meetings), money laundering
    b) Trump finally acknowledged Russian meddling but did the usual cya tweet. Incredible he did not dress down Russia and Putin.
    c) I am more convinced the Russians have something on Donald as a "trump" card.
    d) Incredible amount of detail in the indictment re proof/intercepted email etc
    e) it was a shot across the bow re contemplated firing of Mueller and Rosenstein...very difficult to pull that off now
    f) Trump's constant harp on the "Russian hoax" just expired
    g Trump had a sleepless night

Last edited by Bendit; Sat Feb 17th, 2018 at 02:17 PM.
    “When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?” J.M. Keynes

4. Likes Nilanka liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Notice how there was another mass shooting right as this was breaking?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Part of the Russian dirty tricks campaign meddling financing such appearances...(actually funny looking)

“When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?” J.M. Keynes

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Watching Adam Silver at the All star media forum lets me know that there are smart people in control of things in the US unlike when we talk politics.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Last week, on February 7th, the two powers met again, when U.S. drones, attack helicopters, and fighter planes struck a contingent of pro-regime fighters near Deir Ezzor, a Kurdish-held city in eastern Syria. As would emerge later, among those killed were up to a hundred Russian citizens who were fighting in Syria as private military contractors,
    From New Yorker
    Last edited by rocwell; Sun Feb 18th, 2018 at 01:37 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/...-mass-shooters

Great article from the National Post, in an attempt to understand why, when most of the guns used in these US shootings are available in Canada, do we not see the same rate of shootings; they compare how Canada's very sensible gun laws could have potentially changed the outcome in several US shooting, where again, majority of guns used are available to legally purchase in Canada as well.
    Last edited by Joey; Sun Feb 18th, 2018 at 02:12 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Joey wrote: View Post
    http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/...-mass-shooters

Great article from the National Post, in an attempt to understand why, when most of the guns used in these US shootings are available in Canada, do we not see the same rate of shootings; they compare how Canada's very sensible gun laws could have potentially changed the outcome in several US shooting, where again, majority of guns used are available to legally purchase in Canada as well.
    Americans are different. There's no need to compare America to us, UK or Australia. Different mindsets.

Our gun laws wouldn't work(impossible legislative situation) in America. They need to start with baby steps.

I'm still rattled that 18-year old child who was already flagged by authorities is eligible to buy unlimited amount of ammo and guns. And he passed a fu*king background check on the spot!!! That's just... very smart laws, right?
    Last edited by rocwell; Sun Feb 18th, 2018 at 02:29 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote rocwell wrote: View Post
    Americans are different. There's no need to compare America to us, UK or Australia. Different mindsets.

Our gun laws wouldn't work(impossible legislative situation) in America. They need to start with baby steps.

I'm still rattled that 18-year old child who was already flagged by authorities is eligible to buy unlimited amount of ammo and guns. And he passed a fu*king background check on the spot!!! That's just... very smart laws, right?
    Well that's my point. I disagree that "there's no need to compare". There's every reason to compare. We are all supposed to be "civilized", modern, advanced society. And yet there is only one of us who's clearly an outlier in both policy and outcome.

Simple things like full, detailed background checks and application periods (like in Canada), and the requirement to lock your guns up is not at all a crazy proposition, and things I would consider to be "baby steps", and things I think would have a big impact; also not sure how anyone can argue with those simple accomodations - they will though.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well that's my point. I disagree that "there's no need to compare". There's every reason to compare. We are all supposed to be "civilized", modern, advanced society. And yet there is only one of us who's clearly an outlier in both policy and outcome.

Simple things like full, detailed background checks and application periods (like in Canada), and the requirement to lock your guns up is not at all a crazy proposition, and things I would consider to be "baby steps", and things I think would have a big impact; also not sure how anyone can argue with those simple accomodations - they will though.
    I agree. NYC has solid gun laws. Referencing part is great and much needed in every state IMO(I'm talking about NYC handgun permit here, not New York state)

Reference Letters Currently, I am told you are asked to supply 3 reference letters from people that have known you for at least 2 years (mine had to be from people that knew me at least 5 years, YMMV). The letter should state that you are “of good moral character.” The more detailed and personal it is, the better. This is a basic sample of a Reference Letter (PDF).
    Last edited by rocwell; Sun Feb 18th, 2018 at 03:08 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was struck by the fact that the local police visited/called re a Cruz issue 39 times.

In each case there was no law I understand which permitted them to arrest him or take away his weapons. He was never declared unfit/insane, had no previous arrest record and had not physically confronted/assaulted anyone.

All the boxes were ticked off when he purchased the weaponry. The privacy laws and the second amendment makes it just about impossible as currently exist. And of course these wont change given the system of government along with the political polarization... nevermind now the abject lack of leadership which exists at the very top.

The fact the police or even the FBI had records of contact with him were not accessible for purposes of the gun sale checks.

All in all...common sense in short supply on this issue.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Doesn't help that Trumps latest budget cuts millions of dollars from these very Background Check systems:

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3...kground-checks
    Last edited by Joey; Sun Feb 18th, 2018 at 05:21 PM.

15. Likes Bendit liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Doesn't help that Trumps latest budget cuts Millions of Dollars from these very Background Check systems:

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3...kground-checks
    He certainly has his priorities in order. After his visit to the hospital in Florida last night and making a show of solidarity with first responders but not mentioning gun laws...he attended a disco night (lol) at Mar a Lago totally despondent. The guy is shameless.

https://heavy.com/news/2018/02/donal...io54-maralago/

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"'Why punish legal gun owners?' ... Up until a few days ago, [shooters name] was a legal gun owner. [Vegas Shooter] was a legal gun owner."

18. Likes Bendit liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bulletproof Childrens Backpacks ON SALE ... who needs legislation when good ol' Capitalism can save you!

Page 434 of 434 FirstFirst ... 334 384 424 432 433 434

Thread Information