Likes Likes:  2,932
Page 396 of 544 FirstFirst ... 296 346 386 394 395 396 397 398 406 446 496 ... LastLast
Results 7,901 to 7,920 of 10878

Thread: Politics - Can we be civilized

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote rocwell wrote: View Post

Should we be surprised? What is worse is that many many people voted for him knowing he has racist tendencies...and many of them would vote for him again because deep down they agree with all of that tweet and even more. That posters here still defend him as some form of vanguard ...against what I don't know... but is another sad reality. Bottom line... he is not a good person and I am understating it. This is the norm, people.
    “When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?” J.M. Keynes

Super Moderator
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
    Washington Post and NY Times certainly tiptoed around Obama not being born in the USA and being a Muslim. Thank goodness for Fox and Breitbart. And especially for the National Inquirer who proved these allegations.
    Or you could be serious and research "fast and furious" for starters.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Proof!

Hahaha "Eva Braun". Hilarious.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    Why do you write like a 19th century public school teacher? You don't even understand what the issue is. The controversy is around the effort to mandate that federal officials obtain warrants to access data collected secretly about Americans as part of the push to renew foreign intelligence surveillance authorizations. Literally no one has any issue with spying on foreigners.

This is not a Donald Trump or even a partisan issue. Here's the ACLU with some fucking common sense:

http://reason.com/blog/2018/01/11/ho...d-authority-to
    This fiasco today has all to do with Trump. He tweeted this morning as a result of not fundamentally understanding what the bill vote and content was all about. He made it a personal and how the Intel services spied on him/campaign. He of course got his cue from Fox & Friends. His guys then had to run around Congress trying to dial back everyone ...with Trump back tracking.

Regarding your concerns, were you always opposed to the liberties you seem so concerned about now? I am all for privacy but we also live in dangerous times. If I am an American and I get a call from Sergei Kislyak or a Khalid Sheikh Mohd. whom the Intel services are tracking, my understanding is that my name gets masked. Only a very limited number (on one hand I believe) have the authority to unmask these names especially if it might be suspected that it is the sitting President's son-in-law. I hope you don't mind my examples.

Now, if as a citizen I got a call from one of these blokes...it's straight to the FBI or CSIS or whoever. I don't understand why you have your shorts in a twist over such conditions.

Did not realize you were such an ardent supporter of the ACLU. Or are you just cherry picking on the privacy issue at the expense of the security one? I love the ACLU myself and all that they do especially in the speaking truth to power dept. But as with all dogmatic orgs and philosophies who throw flexibility and nuance out the window...I have a wee bit of a problem. Show me some numbers of abuse of warrantless surveillance of ordinary Americans under the FISA bill just renewed...can you?

I'll try and spend more time in the weeds on this issue.

And re my diction...blame my teachers.

ps...the only sentiment you had correct in this convo is Trump being given the powers. But it shouldn't be about him but the office. It is unfortunate that such an individual holds it...and your time would be better spent trying to get rid of him...and eat some crow for supporting his election. Sorry couldn't resist that last whack.

Edit: This is a first for me but I offer some Fox News vid to support my post. Beyond the first guest who is a rabble rouser and had an effect on Trump the rest of the panel explain that which poster Slaw fails to grasp. And he watches this channel everyday ...haha... I do not know that for sure...mea culpa...but enjoy some of the good sense articulated here on the subject.

Last edited by Bendit; Thu Jan 11th, 2018 at 08:20 PM. Reason: From the belly of the beast (Fox) which supports my post support
    “When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?” J.M. Keynes

Raptors Republic Superstar 3inthekeon's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Yup, Obama lied, but the real "scandal" was and still is toothless American gun laws that allow mass purchases of firearms.
    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    But wasn't your original point that the MSM of the day tiptoed around Obama's "scandals"?

Since you picked "Fast & Furious"...I'll pass on the merits of the so-called scandal but offer a piece on the coverage in a MSM outlet:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.62ec50de6d5f

The above piece mentions all of it's newspaper's coverage. I did not read it so am unsure whether they "tip toed". But it was covered vigorously at this one outlet.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    But wasn't your original point that the MSM of the day tiptoed around Obama's "scandals"?

Since you picked "Fast & Furious"...I'll pass on the merits of the so-called scandal but offer a piece on the coverage in a MSM outlet:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.62ec50de6d5f

The above piece mentions all of it's newspaper's coverage. I did not read it so am unsure whether they "tip toed". But it was covered vigorously at this one outlet.
    Here's another

http://fortune.com/2012/06/27/the-tr...rious-scandal/
    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Raptors Republic Veteran Miekenstien's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yup, Obama lied, but the real "scandal" was and still is toothless American gun laws that allow mass purchases of firearms.
    so the rights that you disagree with are the real problems

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    so the rights that you disagree with are the real problems
    You have that close, but backwards .. They are the real problem, and therefore he (we) disagree with them.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You know of any other scandals?

There is a difference in my view between bad or badly executed policy...and scandal... such as what we are witnessing with the crime family in the WH here. That about 15 women accuse Trump of groping and sexual assault is a scandal. Bill Clinton with his women issues is a scandal. Not releasing his (Trump) tax returns so the country can determine his possible areas of conflict...is a scandal.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Joey wrote: View Post
    You have that close, but backwards .. They are the real problem, and therefore he (we) disagree with them.
    Lol. You guys get the votes and pass it democratically otherwise thank God it is there, because that is what it is there for.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And.. tomorrow Trump gets to sign his Martin Luther King Day proclamation.. so that should go well

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Ebonhawke wrote: View Post
    And.. tomorrow Trump gets to sign his Martin Luther King Day proclamation.. so that should go well

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Is the current POTUS a racist?

What would you call someone who blasted Haiti as a “shithole,” complained about immigrants from Africa, and wondered why the United States couldn’t accept more immigrants from a European country like Norway?

What about someone who mocked Nigerians as living in “huts?” Or defended white supremacists after they terrorized a city in a “protest” that ended with the killing of a counter-demonstrator? What if he or she described black neighborhoods as essentially fit for animals, portrayed Muslim Americans as fundamentally untrustworthy, and criticized Mexico for sending “rapists”? What if, for nearly five years, that person devoted time and attention to “proving” the first black president of the United States was an illegitimate usurper hiding his true African background from the public?

What would you call this person? At the very least, you would call him or her a “racist,” one with a documented history of bias and contempt toward nonwhites.

This person, obviously, is President Donald Trump. And President Trump is a racist. It was clear on Thursday, when he made his remarks about Haiti, and it was clear last month, when he made his comments about Nigeria. It was clear when he went on his “birther” crusade against Barack Obama. It’s been clear for as long as he’s been in the public eye, from when he was investigated by the Department of Justice for housing discrimination in the 1970s to when he demanded execution for five black and Latino teenagers who had been accused, falsely, of attacking and a raping a white woman in New York City in the 1980s.

The evidence for Trump’s racism is so abundant and explicit that the claim shouldn’t even be controversial. And yet, in the wake of the president’s recent comments, our most prominent news outlets are still hedging their bets. The New York Times called Trump’s remarks “the latest example of his penchant for racially tinged remarks denigrating immigrants.” The Washington Post, which broke the story, called the comments part of his “long-standing tendency to make racially charged remarks.” For the Wall Street Journal, the comments were merely “vulgar.”

This hesitation is not hard to understand. Our society is largely indifferent to racial inequality but is highly sensitive to accusations of racism. Labeling anything racist—or accusing anyone of racism—is fraught enough to spark a backlash, especially when it falls outside common archetypes for racism: the violent neo-Nazi, corrupt Southern sheriff, or torch-bearing member of the Ku Klux Klan. Not only does Trump fall outside of the popular image of a racist, but he’s a partisan figure, backed by millions of people. Even if it fits the facts, frankly labeling the president a racist is a risky move, one that might alienate the people you’re trying to reach, including other lawmakers and partisan political figures.

Beyond this, the attitudes and actions that constitute racism are highly contested, especially among white Americans most sensitive to the accusation. And when racism is acknowledged, it often comes sans actors and agency. Something racist may have happened, but no one is responsible. It’s racism without racists.

Donald Trump is a racist, and the evidence shows it. But it’s politically incorrect to say so. When ESPN analyst Jemele Hill criticized the president as a “white supremacist” on Twitter, she was met with a wave of opprobrium, including a statement from White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders, who called it “one of the more outrageous comments that anyone could make and certainly something that I think is a fireable offense by ESPN.” Trump demanded an apology, and the network allegedly tried to take her off the air.

Major news outlets may be slow to label Trump’s racism as such, but the president’s allies seem to both acknowledge the racism and see it as a political asset. “Staffers inside the White House aren’t that worried about Trump’s ‘shithole’ remark,” reported CNN’s Kaitlan Collins on Twitter, “with some predicting it will actually resonate with his base, not alienate it, much like his attacks on NFL players who kneel during the national anthem did.”

Donald Trump came onto the political scene with a racist conspiracy theory. He ran a racist campaign. As president, he continues to say racist things. As a simple point of fact, we should be able to say—without hesitation—that Donald Trump is a racist.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...-a-racist.html

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Twitter is going nuts

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Twitter is going nuts

Stormy Daniels huh? Considering all of the b/s he has been tarred with...this shall also be water off a duck's back. Unless she decides to make an issue of it....or Melania. His base of course will give him a star.

Last edited by Bendit; Fri Jan 12th, 2018 at 04:39 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    Lol. You guys get the votes and pass it democratically otherwise thank God it is there, because that is what it is there for.

Yes, I'm sure some peoples God approves of mass purchases of weaponry.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, I'm sure some peoples God approves of mass purchases of weaponry.
    Lol

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wow it took more than 30 mins to let people know that message was a false alarm. Wow. I would go to the pub after this

Thread Information