Likes Likes:  4,194
Page 748 of 750 FirstFirst ... 248 648 698 738 746 747 748 749 750 LastLast
Results 14,941 to 14,960 of 15000

Thread: Politics - The Legend Continues...

  1. #14941
    Super Moderator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    22,965
    Likes (Given)
    2656
    Likes (Received)
    3410

    Default

    I don't like Bannon but people who are worried about his views should put more effort into dismantling his message than censoring it. What this will do is validate him even further to those who sympathize with him or agree with at least some of what he says. It might push these people further in that direction. Censorship here probably does the opposite of what they want to achieve.

    He should instead be invited to debate the best people to be found sharing opposing views. If he does something illegal he will be arrested. Shine a bright light on him and see what happens. The end.

  2. #14942
    Raptors Republic Veteran slaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    6,043
    Likes (Given)
    381
    Likes (Received)
    2435

    Default

    Quote Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

    Limiting the free expression of a point of view, in a public forum, is antithetical to the bedrock beliefs of western civilization. If its seditious or treasonous the chief magistrate will level charges.
    All you have to do is read this forum to understand that, while individual freedom (and particularly freedom of speech) is part of the bedrock of western civilization, most people in Canada/US/Europe don't really like freedom or care about protecting it. Freedom is terrifying because it requires a certain level of personal responsibility and accountability, which are values that elite class (politicians, media, c-suite, etc.) won't promote for fear of giving offense. It used to be the job of our elite class to foster and protect the fundamental aspects of our Western civilization but a good chunk of that class is ambivalent or openly hostile to what makes the west great and is instead more focused on its own self-regard and personal enrichment.

    EDIT: And you need look no further than the current Prime Minister of Canada to see the embodiment of the obnoxious arrogance and preening self-righteousness that the Canadian elite possesses.
    Last edited by slaw; Wed Dec 5th, 2018 at 11:35 AM.

  3. #14943
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Bendit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    10,489
    Likes (Given)
    2711
    Likes (Received)
    1623

    Default

    Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    All you have to do is read this forum to understand that, while individual freedom (and particularly freedom of speech) is part of the bedrock of western civilization, most people in Canada/US/Europe don't really like freedom or care about protecting it. Freedom is terrifying because it requires a certain level of personal responsibility and accountability, which are values that elite class (politicians, media, c-suite, etc.) won't promote for fear of giving offense. It used to be the job of our elite class to foster and protect the fundamental aspects of our Western civilization but a good chunk of that class is ambivalent or openly hostile to what makes the west great and is instead more focused on its own self-regard and personal enrichment.

    EDIT: And you need look no further than the current Prime Minister of Canada to see the embodiment of the obnoxious arrogance and preening self-righteousness that the Canadian elite possesses.


    Good fucking lord! ....says the poster who believes that Donald J Trump is a worthy spear carrier to "correct" all that ails western civilization. He who is taking a torch to worthy institutions and department of justice independence in furtherance and protection of his personal stakes.
    “When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?” J.M. Keynes

  4. Likes Joey liked this post
  5. #14944
    Raptors Republic Veteran slaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    6,043
    Likes (Given)
    381
    Likes (Received)
    2435

    Default

    Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    [/B]

    Good fucking lord! ....says the poster who believes that Donald J Trump is a worthy spear carrier to "correct" all that ails western civilization. He who is taking a torch to worthy institutions and department of justice independence in furtherance and protection of his personal stakes.
    Demographic Shift, you can ignore my last post and read Bendit's posts. He makes my point much better than I can....

  6. #14945
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Bendit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    10,489
    Likes (Given)
    2711
    Likes (Received)
    1623

    Default

    Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    Demographic Shift, you can ignore my last post and read Bendit's posts. He makes my point much better than I can....
    And what delusional point was that? Please point to any post which even remotely demeans the concept of free speech in the pursuit of political and social goals especially. Unless of course you are confirming your support for the "there are good people on both sides" comments/oppo about the Charlottesville torch bearers and the like.
    “When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?” J.M. Keynes

  7. #14946
    Raptors Republic Veteran slaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    6,043
    Likes (Given)
    381
    Likes (Received)
    2435

    Default

    Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    And what delusional point was that? Please point to any post which even remotely demeans the concept of free speech in the pursuit of political and social goals especially. Unless of course you are confirming your support for the "there are good people on both sides" comments/oppo about the Charlottesville torch bearers and the like.
    Bendit, you've made my point for me forcefully enough. You can stop now.

  8. #14947
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,883
    Likes (Given)
    12668
    Likes (Received)
    6224

    Default

    Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    Demographic Shift, you can ignore my last post and read Bendit's posts. He makes my point much better than I can....
    Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    Bendit, you've made my point for me forcefully enough. You can stop now.
    C'mon man ... this is seriously how you're trying to wrap up your point? Yeesh. Sloppy. I would've even accepted Wrestling gifs at this point as a better counter to whatever this is. Lol

  9. Likes Bendit liked this post
  10. #14948
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Bendit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    10,489
    Likes (Given)
    2711
    Likes (Received)
    1623

    Default

    Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    Bendit, you've made my point for me forcefully enough. You can stop now.
    One more please... to quote DT's esteemed counsel Rudy G. ... who just threw some shade at your nightmare Mueller ... saying "You don't have bupkis".

    Getting hilarious. Especially when high powered lawyers start spitting in Yiddish.
    “When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?” J.M. Keynes

  11. #14949
    Raptors Republic Veteran Demographic Shift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    7,664
    Likes (Given)
    1141
    Likes (Received)
    1406

    Default

    Quote Joey wrote: View Post
    C'mon man ... this is seriously how you're trying to wrap up your point? Yeesh. Sloppy. I would've even accepted Wrestling gifs at this point as a better counter to whatever this is. Lol



    And on a completely new tangent under the heading of tough compares.

    Brian Mulroney was asked by the family of his life long friend to give a eulogy at the George HW Bush memorial yesterday. Mulroney was a lot of things but he can still carry the dignified role of head of state even in his declining years as he bid adieu to his friend. Its not that Mulroney is or was a Conservative.. its that he carried himself as a leader of the country.

    The compare is Selfie McFucknuts performance at the G20 which grades out somewhere between petulant and arrogant. It was Berlusconi like performance in its childish simplicity. Its an increasingly long list of international gaffes. Still topping the list is our boy in a welders cap trying to out India ... India. What a cluck this doofus is.

    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Thu Dec 6th, 2018 at 08:39 AM.

  12. #14950
    Raptors Republic Superstar SkywalkerAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    4,513
    Likes (Given)
    3189
    Likes (Received)
    862

    Default

    George HW Bush was a war criminal. Just sayin’.

    THE UNITED STATES is now in the midst of a grotesque canonization of one of its imperial saints, George Herbert Walker Bush. This week on Intercepted: an honest memorial service for an unrepentant warmonger who dedicated his life to militarism, war, coups, regime change, and the lies of “American exceptionalism.” Jeremy Scahill details the crimes of Bush, the sick propaganda of the corporate media memorials, and the trail of blood, death, and tears Bush leaves behind. Independent journalist Arun Gupta covers decades of Bush, from his time at the helm of the CIA to the presidency. Gupta discusses Bush’s support for Manuel Noriega and his eventual invasion of Panama, the pardoning of Iran-Contra criminals, the dirty wars in Central America, the support for Saddam Hussein, and the launch of the Gulf War. Acclaimed Iraqi poet and scholar Sinan Antoon describes his life under the U.S.-backed dictatorship of Saddam, the horrors of the Gulf War, and how Bush’s destruction of Iraqi civilian society led to the rise of ISIS.
    https://theintercept.com/2018/12/05/...-war-criminal/
    Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Thu Dec 6th, 2018 at 10:57 AM.

  13. #14951
    Raptors Republic Icon rocwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    27,456
    Likes (Given)
    2673
    Likes (Received)
    6852

    Default

    Quote SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
    George HW Bush was a war criminal. Just sayin’.

    Last edited by rocwell; Thu Dec 6th, 2018 at 10:57 AM.

  14. Likes SkywalkerAC, Joey liked this post
  15. #14952
    Raptors Republic Icon rocwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    27,456
    Likes (Given)
    2673
    Likes (Received)
    6852

    Default



  16. Likes SkywalkerAC liked this post
  17. #14953
    Raptors Republic Icon rocwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    27,456
    Likes (Given)
    2673
    Likes (Received)
    6852

    Default

    Former Kuwaiti military officer waits five hours in line outside Houston church to thank George H.W. Bush who he credits for freeing him from an Iraqi prison camp

    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-H-W-Bush.html

  18. #14954
    Raptors Republic Veteran Demographic Shift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    7,664
    Likes (Given)
    1141
    Likes (Received)
    1406

    Default

    Quote SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
    George HW Bush was a war criminal. Just sayin’.



    https://theintercept.com/2018/12/05/...-war-criminal/
    One can only aspire to embrace the fundamentals of human decency and freedom of expresssion shown by the various dictators of the middle east, including the late Renaissance man Mohamar Khadafi, and the Balkan humanitarians Radovan Karadžić and Slobodan Milošević who would without hesitation give leeway and support for the work Jeremy Schalli is free to publish in the oppressive police states of the west.

    So there is that to consider too.

    Just sayin.
    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Thu Dec 6th, 2018 at 11:53 AM.

  19. Likes Joey, rocwell liked this post
  20. #14955
    Raptors Republic Superstar SkywalkerAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    4,513
    Likes (Given)
    3189
    Likes (Received)
    862

    Default

    Quote Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
    One can only aspire to embrace the fundamentals of human decency and freedom of expresssion shown by the various dictators of the middle east, including the late Renaissance man Mohamar Khadafi, and the Balkan humanitarians Radovan Karadžić and Slobodan Milošević who would without hesitation give leeway and support for the work Jeremy Schalli is free to publish in the oppressive police states of the west.

    So there is that to consider too.

    Just sayin.
    So that's the high bar he has to clear - other war criminals - to be eulogized like a saint without criticism from most of the American media? Did Bush's actions lead to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of civilians or not?

  21. #14956
    Raptors Republic Icon rocwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    27,456
    Likes (Given)
    2673
    Likes (Received)
    6852

    Default

    Quote SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
    So that's the high bar he has to clear - other war criminals - to be eulogized like a saint without criticism from most of the American media?
    Lol. Guess how many MSM sites will criticize Obama over his admin's war crimes...

  22. #14957
    Raptors Republic Superstar SkywalkerAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    4,513
    Likes (Given)
    3189
    Likes (Received)
    862

    Default

    Quote rocwell wrote: View Post
    Lol. Guess how many MSM sites will criticize Obama over his admin's war crimes...
    See, that's a fair enough retort, and gets right to the problem of American exceptionalism. But would the likes of Democratic Shift accept, say hypothetically, Justin Trudeau's gushing eulogy of Obama as honest and dignified?

  23. #14958
    Raptors Republic Veteran Demographic Shift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    7,664
    Likes (Given)
    1141
    Likes (Received)
    1406

    Default

    Quote SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
    So that's the high bar he has to clear - other war criminals - to be eulogized like a saint without criticism from most of the American media? Did Bush's actions lead to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of civilians or not?

    After the standing eight count.... just stay down.

  24. #14959
    Raptors Republic Veteran Demographic Shift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    7,664
    Likes (Given)
    1141
    Likes (Received)
    1406

    Default

    Quote SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
    See, that's a fair enough retort, and gets right to the problem of American exceptionalism. But would the likes of Democratic Shift accept, say hypothetically, Justin Trudeau's gushing eulogy of Obama as honest and dignified?
    At 20 years old George Bush put his immense privilege aside, joined the military and went to war to defend his country.

    Justin Trudeau at 20..... well.. . not so much I guess. He did have that BC summer where he drank a lot and groped that reporter that he seems to want to forget about though.

    When Mr.Obama passes we shall see if Selfie McFuckNuts is called upon to put his thoughts to words and eulogize the passing of a friend as near and dear to him as say the Agha Khan is.Unless he has to apologize on behalf of Canada to the Nazis for ruining their dreams.
    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Thu Dec 6th, 2018 at 01:35 PM.

  25. #14960
    Raptors Republic Superstar SkywalkerAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    4,513
    Likes (Given)
    3189
    Likes (Received)
    862

    Default

    Thoughtful analysis as always DS. Maybe stick to the gifs.
    Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Thu Dec 6th, 2018 at 02:22 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 11 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 11 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •