Likes Likes:  3,340
Page 627 of 627 FirstFirst ... 127 527 577 617 625 626 627
Results 12,521 to 12,539 of 12539

Thread: Politics - The Legend Continues...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    https://ca.news.yahoo.com/scheer-pen...214238165.html
    "Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer has sent a letter to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau asking him to table a plan to immediately stop "queue jumping" by the ongoing influx of illegal border crossers."

good move here be scheer.
    Quote Joey wrote:
    Lol No surprise here:
    But Immigration Minister Ahmed Hussen's office did not mince words in its response to Scheer's assertions.

Asylum claims are processed by the arm's-length Immigration and Refugee Board, which means there is no impact on wait times for immigration applications processed by the Immigration Department, including government and private sponsorships of refugees, Hussen's press secretary, Mathieu Genest said.

"While this has been explained many times, the Conservatives continue to perpetuate misinformation to pit communities against each other. If a briefing on the immigration system would be helpful for Mr. Scheer, we would be happy to organize one," Genest said.
    And then this as well from the same article:
    Newly released statistics from the department show the number of irregular migrants who arrived in Quebec dropped in May by 28 per cent compared to April. This would indicate government's outreach efforts are working, Genest added.
    So, noting that it's actually a completely bullshit move by Scheer, I guess I'm wondering why you think this is a good move?
    Last edited by Joey; Sat Jun 16th, 2018 at 03:21 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Radicalised asylum seekers have murdered or injured more than 1,000 in terror attacks in Europe since 2014

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...acks-2014.html

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A lie:

When lies turn into truth:

May 'signals end to decade of austerity' as she vows to outdo Boris's Brexit pledge and pump £380m a WEEK into ailing NHS in a bid to hang on to power

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...iling-NHS.html

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote rocwell wrote: View Post
    Radicalised asylum seekers have murdered or injured more than 1,000 in terror attacks in Europe since 2014

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...acks-2014.html
    *bangs head against desk*

More anti-refugee sensationalist reporting from the Daily Mail, using misleading headlines and out-of-context data to create fear about refugees / asylum seekers.

If you actually read the article, it says "The study found that there were 194 Islamist terror plots between January 2014 and December 2017. The total casualties were 357 deaths and 1,678 injuries. Of those, 32 involved asylum seekers or refugees."

Shouldn't the headline be "Asylum seekers or refugees are 6 times less likely to participate in terror plots"?

From a data perspective, it means that over 4 years, there were 357 people murdered in Europe as a result of Islamist terror operations. That would be approximately 90 people per year, out of a population of 741 million people in Europe - or 0.012 deaths per 100,000 population. And remember, only 16% of those incidents involved asylum seekers or refugees (note the phrasing of the Daily Mail article - they cite 'involved', not 'carried out' etc.)

To put it in perspective, per the United Nations Office on Drug and Crime, the intentional murder rate for Europe for 2013 was 3.0 deaths per 100,000 population. Since 2013 is outside the 2014-2017 range of data cited in the Daily Mail article, the deaths cited in the article, which include the Paris and London attacks, aren't part of the calculation used by the UNODC, so those attacks aren't potentially 'inflating' numbers.

So the uproar about refugees and asylum seekers is simply xenophobic rhetoric - you're ~250x more likely to be killed by someone born in Europe, than you are a refugee

(Fun data point: The assault rate in Scotland (requiring that the offence resulted in a serious bodily injury) is 1487 per 100,000 - with a population of 5.295M, that means that there are 78,700 cases of assault that do serious bodily harm every single year - and that's ... just.. in .. Scotland.) Compare that with the 1678 injuries (which aren't categorized as to severity) from Islamist terror plots over FOUR years cited in the Daily Mail article.

5. Likes jimmie, Bendit, SkywalkerAC liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Ebonhawke wrote: View Post
    *bangs head against desk*

More anti-refugee sensationalist reporting from the Daily Mail, using misleading headlines and out-of-context data to create fear about refugees / asylum seekers.

If you actually read the article, it says "The study found that there were 194 Islamist terror plots between January 2014 and December 2017. The total casualties were 357 deaths and 1,678 injuries. Of those, 32 involved asylum seekers or refugees."

Shouldn't the headline be "Asylum seekers or refugees are 6 times less likely to participate in terror plots"?

From a data perspective, it means that over 4 years, there were 357 people murdered in Europe as a result of Islamist terror operations. That would be approximately 90 people per year, out of a population of 741 million people in Europe - or 0.012 deaths per 100,000 population. And remember, only 16% of those incidents involved asylum seekers or refugees (note the phrasing of the Daily Mail article - they cite 'involved', not 'carried out' etc.)

To put it in perspective, per the United Nations Office on Drug and Crime, the intentional murder rate for Europe for 2013 was 3.0 deaths per 100,000 population. Since 2013 is outside the 2014-2017 range of data cited in the Daily Mail article, the deaths cited in the article, which include the Paris and London attacks, aren't part of the calculation used by the UNODC, so those attacks aren't potentially 'inflating' numbers.

So the uproar about refugees and asylum seekers is simply xenophobic rhetoric - you're ~250x more likely to be killed by someone born in Europe, than you are a refugee

(Fun data point: The assault rate in Scotland (requiring that the offence resulted in a serious bodily injury) is 1487 per 100,000 - with a population of 5.295M, that means that there are 78,700 cases of assault that do serious bodily harm every single year - and that's ... just.. in .. Scotland.) Compare that with the 1678 injuries (which aren't categorized as to severity) from Islamist terror plots over FOUR years cited in the Daily Mail article.
    Just stop it.

If Daily Mail wanted to create fear about refugees, they could've easily written articles based on this study...

https://www.zhaw.ch/storage/shared/s...eutschland.pdf
    Last edited by rocwell; Sat Jun 16th, 2018 at 08:26 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Ebonhawke wrote: View Post
    I'm glad you found this data point "fun", but I'm not going to compare societal violence issues to terrorist attacks. Actually, there would be a new assault case if you ever told me to do that in-person.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sessions quoted bible to defend WH's position on family separation... disgusting. I'm speechless.

Today's NYD cover is so powerful:

There's a special place in hell for people who're doing this.
    Last edited by rocwell; Sat Jun 16th, 2018 at 09:11 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lol Tucker Carlson actually said that?! What a joke.

Super Moderator
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote rocwell wrote: View Post

Here now we see a young Donald Trump and his colleagues enjoying a day out on the slopes:

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Here now we see a young Donald Trump and his colleagues enjoying a day out on the slopes:
    LOL One of my favourite South Park bits ever.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Trump once again trying to blame the Democrats for his administrations policy on separating parents from children - the guy is pure scum:
    “I say, very strongly, it’s the Democrats fault,” Trump said.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-adm...152717690.html
    Sarah Sanders and Jeff Sessions both sited the Bible as justification for it ... figure that one out. Lol

John Kelly saying it's not "cruel" to take a child away from their mother?

But leave it to Stephen Miller to set the record straight, and place the blame where it belongs, back onto Trump and his WH:
    “It was a simple decision by the administration to have a zero-tolerance policy for illegal entry, period. The message is that no one is exempt from immigration law.”

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Annnnd all those gains Wall Street has made in the last year? GONE. Just like that.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1JF1DN

But let's be real, who didn't see this coming... besides Trump I guess.

15. Likes SkywalkerAC liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Joey wrote: View Post
    Trump once again trying to blame the Democrats for his administrations policy on separating parents from children - the guy is pure scum:

Sarah Sanders and Jeff Sessions both sited the Bible as justification for it ... figure that one out. Lol

John Kelly saying it's not "cruel" to take a child away from their mother?

But leave it to Stephen Miller to set the record straight, and place the blame where it belongs, back onto Trump and his WH:
    Problem solved Joey. Trump's going to sign an executive order which will restore the status quo ante of keeping families together in cages just like Obama. I assume that will make everything good again, right? I mean, just assuming, cause no one gave a shit about any of this until like 5 days ago....

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    Problem solved Joey. Trump's going to sign an executive order which will restore the status quo ante of keeping families together in cages just like Obama. I assume that will make everything good again, right? I mean, just assuming, cause no one gave a shit about any of this until like 5 days ago....
    Just because you've done your best to completely ignore it, doesn't mean others haven't cared.

And I guess you need to make assumptions, since you clearly don't share in the disgust ... no surprise.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just because you've done your best to completely ignore it, doesn't mean others haven't cared.

And I guess you need to make assumptions, since you clearly don't share in the disgust ... no surprise.
    You're trying too hard to be outraged. I must have missed all your advocacy on this issue for the past 10 years. Oh, and what's this now?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cana...dren-1.3995461

Dozens of children who are Canadian citizens have been held in immigration detention centres in conditions that can cause physical and psychological harm, according to a new report.

The study, called "Invisible Citizens: Canadian Children in Immigration Detention," was produced by the International Human Rights Program at the University of Toronto's faculty of law and released today during a news conference on Parliament Hill.

It found the best interests of the children were not adequately accounted for at the time of the arrest and detention of the mothers, and that the fundamental rights of the children were violated.
    Must have missed the wall-to-wall coverage in the Canadian media comparing Trudeau to Hitler and his supporters to Nazis yelling "this is not who Canada is!".

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Everyone who has spent his own time and money sponsoring refugees/asylum seekers coming to Canada and helping them find work and schooling for their kids raise their hands!

But I'm a bad guy cause I don't share in the hysterical outrage du jour because Drumpf! Whatever.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And, the ink hasn't even dried on Trump's order and the Democrats now don't want families detained at all but just released - in full knowledge that 40% will disappear and never show up for any hearing. So, in other words, catch and release, complete open borders for everyone, no border enforcement. So, the whole separating children from their parents thing was just a convenient political football to leverage open borders laws. Color me shocked.

But I'm supposed to rend my garments and gnash my teeth because Hitler and the Nazis or something. Give me a break.

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    And, the ink hasn't even dried on Trump's order and the Democrats now don't want families detained at all but just released - in full knowledge that 40% will disappear and never show up for any hearing. So, in other words, catch and release, complete open borders for everyone, no border enforcement. So, the whole separating children from their parents thing was just a convenient political football to leverage open borders laws. Color me shocked.

But I'm supposed to rend my garments and gnash my teeth because Hitler and the Nazis or something. Give me a break.
    Oh hullo there. "New Rules". The prick you support just plain buckled.

And your lame attempt to equate the disgusting display of extortion by your man to build his fucking wall with the Canadian example is shameful. Did you just pick out an immigration/detention issue newspiece from over a year ago and try to balance your scales between the fucktard Trump and the government of Canada.

We have our faults but read the details will ya. The parents chose to have the GOC take care of their kids rather than have the kids live with them in detention centres. They were not snatched away. Any kids w/down syndrome in a cage? Have you followed up on the improvements to that policy?

If you were so outraged at the Canadian policy at the time did you write it up here?
    “When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?” J.M. Keynes

22. Likes Joey liked this post
Page 627 of 627 FirstFirst ... 127 527 577 617 625 626 627

Thread Information