Likes Likes:  4,368
Page 755 of 769 FirstFirst ... 255 655 705 745 753 754 755 756 757 765 ... LastLast
Results 15,081 to 15,100 of 15377

Thread: Politics - The Legend Continues...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    That's like saying a missing person report shouldn't be investigated until a body is discovered.
    No, you investigate the disappearance of the missing person. You don't investigate the missing person, his family, his co-workers, his friends, and then charge one of his bosses with tax evasion. You don't find the murderer or kidnapper, investigate everyone he knows and then charge his college buddy with being an unregistered lobbyist. That's not how the system works. That's not how any of this works. At least, it never did before. It will now.

But, as I said, nothing can possibly go wrong with this new approach. Absolutely nothing.

Raptors Republic Superstar SkywalkerAC's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A special counsel investigation is a pretty unique thing in terms of scope. Trump opened himself up to that level of scrutiny by firing the FBI director after not getting a pledge of loyalty in regards to an ongoing investigation involving his own campaign.

Raptors Republic Superstar SkywalkerAC's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer KeonClark's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    Perhaps people can speak to the mood in Ontario - any chance Andrew Scheer can beat this twat waffle?
    It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote KeonClark wrote: View Post
    Perhaps people can speak to the mood in Ontario - any chance Andrew Scheer can beat this twat waffle?
    I think Trudeau ... er sorry, the "twat waffle" as you so eloquently put it ... beats Scheer everywhere but Alberta/Saskatchewan/Manitoba.

Raptors Republic Veteran planetmars's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm not a big political guy.. actually can't stand the field so my analysis can be way off here but adding my two cents anyways.

I personally suspect Trudeau won because of pot. Harper wouldn't legalize it and he lost. Now that it's legal, PC will probably get the majority again.

It's as simple as that really.

I don't think the average voter cares about who the leader is. You vote for your MP and usually are rarely flipping parties unless the previous party did something very controversial. Like Mulroney's government bringing in the GST. Or Chretian/Martin's government allegedly being corrupt with that whole sponsorship fiasco in Quebec.

If Harper was okay with legalizing pot too.. I bet his party would still be running the country. He's got no personality but the country was doing alright. It's too bad for him that he's so anal with the pot thing.

I don't think too many people care for the Liberals and Trudeau right now but it's also hard to read the country because the conservatives are running a gong show down south and that trickle effect can sour Canada's mood.

However in Ontario they had no problems with Ford.. so I guess Canadian's might like gong shows too or at least prefer a gong show over the previous incumbent (kind of like the situation in the US as well).

Does anyone outside of Alberta care about the pipe line thing? Do people go crazy over Trudeau's visit to India? Are people still talking about that? The guy may not fit for the job.. but he's just a figure head. Is the party doing anything so controversial that they'd lose their seats? Possible, but for me it's hard to read. I would actually be kind of surprised if he lost in the next federal election.

Either way my riding always votes PC. And the MP here does a pretty good job. So I doubt he'll lose. And so my vote doesn't really matter one way or another. As long as they keep pot legal I'm a happy camper.

Raptors Republic Veteran Superjudge's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Harper was terrible. Period.

8. Likes Joey liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran Demographic Shift's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Superjudge wrote: View Post
    Trudeau is worse. Exclamation point.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lol

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Joey wrote: View Post
    I think Trudeau ... er sorry, the "twat waffle" as you so eloquently put it ... beats Scheer everywhere but Alberta/Saskatchewan/Manitoba.
    Ontario voted en masse to end Wynnes tenure. Even the giant red square that is the City of Toronto unceremoniously kicked her lying self serving ass out. On the heels of that incredibly effective June poll of the electorate ...three months later the City of Toronto also rejected a big talkin.. big spending... silver spoon candidate in Jennifer Keeeeezmat resoundingly. Her absolute shit kicking at the polls was largely doled out in the 416 burbs which align closely to the 905 voters. There is a palpable anger and distrust of the "we know better than you politicos" of which Trudeau epitomizes in the heartland.

The daycare drop off and 7AM hockey practice demographic is a little nervous. They aren't getting ahead under the libs financially. Levels of household debt are reflections of a heavy heavy taxation policy and not many are ready for a carbon tax. No one is truly thrilled by the incredibly loose immigration standards in place. Not that they are opposed to immigration .. just a lot of questions why Ontario is the youth hostel to the world and having to pay for it are being asked. On the plus side...pretty much everyone is happy with legal weed.

The question is does the heavy negatives on Justin translate to big votes for Andrew Scheer ? Well thats the electoral question for the next 10 months. As big a majority as the PC's will get in Alberta so too will the poll numbers for men over 45 gravitate to to Scheer. That group views Trudeau as the guy who tells everyone how big he spent on his wife at Valentines day at a party after all you did was buy a card. They want to kill him after they remove his testicles with a rusty knife.

So Ontario will come down to how women and millennials in the 905 / 416 and 519 feel about the current course and speed of Spicolis government.
    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Thu Dec 20th, 2018 at 11:37 AM.

12. Likes slaw, KeonClark liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

The daycare drop off and 7AM hockey practice demographic is a little nervous. They aren't getting ahead under the libs financially. Levels of household debt are reflections of a heavy heavy taxation policy and not many are ready for a carbon tax.
    That's the big question.

I was actually pretty surprised by how unpopular Trudeau was out east, especially in Quebec. He's fortunate the NDP leader is a dud and the Tory leader is as well. It's way to early to call but I think it will be a pretty close election. The Libs definitely won't hold every seat in Atlantic Canada, the Tories will make some gains in Ontario most likely, the Libs are certainly going to be wiped out in the prairies. BC might actually have a hand in this at the end. My worst fear would be a Liberal minority propped up by the NDP. That would be an absolute nightmare scenario. Fortunately, Singh is so bad I don't see that happening.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Nilanka's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No, you investigate the disappearance of the missing person. You don't investigate the missing person, his family, his co-workers, his friends, and then charge one of his bosses with tax evasion. You don't find the murderer or kidnapper, investigate everyone he knows and then charge his college buddy with being an unregistered lobbyist. That's not how the system works. That's not how any of this works. At least, it never did before. It will now.

But, as I said, nothing can possibly go wrong with this new approach. Absolutely nothing.
    If while searching for the missing person, cops stumble across a stash of drugs in someone else's kitchen, they now have authority to investigate the kitchen. While searching the kitchen, they come across a bloody knife, they'll look into that too, and so on, and so forth. Expanding searches is not uncommon, as new evidence is discovered.

It's not a "witch hunt" when 17 charges are filed.

15. Likes SkywalkerAC, Joey liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    If while searching for the missing person, cops stumble across a stash of drugs in someone else's kitchen, they now have authority to investigate the kitchen. While searching the kitchen, they come across a bloody knife, they'll look into that too, and so on, and so forth. Expanding searches is not uncommon, as new evidence is discovered.

It's not a "witch hunt" when 17 charges are filed.
    So, when the NY AG, or whatever she is, announces she's going to investigate Trump, his family and 'anyone in his orbit': that's cool with you?

I mean, I know you guys all hate Trump and Republicans in general (and conservatives) but you do realize that there is a wide swath of the country that votes Republican and that there are many Republican Attorney Generals, etc. What if the Texas AG announces that whoever wins the Democratic primary that he will commence investigations against him/her, their family, and anyone in their orbit? I'm fairly confident that if you investigate that many people you'll find someone who has done something shady. So, then, if there are charges brought against any one of those people, you're fine with it?

Again, I know you guys hate Trump but this 'investigate everyone' is a really bad precedent. He won't be president forever but everyone who follows him will now face the same thing. I know you guys are okay with all this cause you only think it will happen to people you dislike but that's not the way it works. And, at some point, someone you really don't like will be wielding the investigator's cudgel.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So, when the NY AG, or whatever she is, announces she's going to investigate Trump, his family and 'anyone in his orbit': that's cool with you?

I mean, I know you guys all hate Trump and Republicans in general (and conservatives) but you do realize that there is a wide swath of the country that votes Republican and that there are many Republican Attorney Generals, etc. What if the Texas AG announces that whoever wins the Democratic primary that he will commence investigations against him/her, their family, and anyone in their orbit? I'm fairly confident that if you investigate that many people you'll find someone who has done something shady. So, then, if there are charges brought against any one of those people, you're fine with it?

Again, I know you guys hate Trump but this 'investigate everyone' is a really bad precedent. He won't be president forever but everyone who follows him will now face the same thing. I know you guys are okay with all this cause you only think it will happen to people you dislike but that's not the way it works. And, at some point, someone you really don't like will be wielding the investigator's cudgel.
    My fully unbiased view is, sure, investigate everyone. We might actually end up with a political system that isn't corrupt.

Not sure why it's so hard to live a lawful life.

20. Likes Joey liked this post
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Bendit's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Texas AG like any other legal authority will have to show just cause. You have managed to conflate/suggest an imaginary criminal conduct in Texas with the very real cause/evidence shown in NY State. Simply put if the felon family Trump felt they were being hard done by they would not have voluntarily agreed to shut down their sham tax avoidance scheme of their "charity" foundation.

It is also telling that you are making this specious argument when no one within the mute GOP hierarchy has rushed to Donald's defense in the matter. I think signs of spinal activity maybe occurring.

17 investigations and within different jurisdictions with prosecutors belonging to both parties.

#FakeWitchHunt
    “When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?” J.M. Keynes

“They’re not an up-and-coming team (Raptors). They here.” Kevin Durant

22. Likes SkywalkerAC liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Superjudge wrote: View Post
    Best prime minster we've ever had in my lifetime. I know my opinion is usually in good shape when it's the polar opposite of yours.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's the big question.

I was actually pretty surprised by how unpopular Trudeau was out east, especially in Quebec. He's fortunate the NDP leader is a dud and the Tory leader is as well. It's way to early to call but I think it will be a pretty close election. The Libs definitely won't hold every seat in Atlantic Canada, the Tories will make some gains in Ontario most likely, the Libs are certainly going to be wiped out in the prairies. BC might actually have a hand in this at the end. My worst fear would be a Liberal minority propped up by the NDP. That would be an absolute nightmare scenario. Fortunately, Singh is so bad I don't see that happening.
    This is my worst fear. The best we could come up with in this absolute pivotal time was Andrew Scheer? Who?

Would Kevin O' Leary have been better? Or would they look for a more approachable smile and youthfulness to try and combat in the battle for millennials?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote KeonClark wrote: View Post
    This is my worst fear. The best we could come up with in this absolute pivotal time was Andrew Scheer? Who?

Would Kevin O' Leary have been better? Or would they look for a more approachable smile and youthfulness to try and combat in the battle for millennials?
    I would have preferred Max for his forthrightness but Scheer is the guy who outsmarted Max so here we are. Make sure your jock is on and your helmet is buttoned up because its going to be a dirty election. Ignore the "sunny ways" bullshit from Sir Sock of Westmount.... Telford and Butts are going to run this election like a Tom Wilson shift against the Flyers.Those two fuckers killed Ontario and their political lives are on the line as there is no where else to go if they lose the federal election. There is a whiff of panic in the air in the west block as the economy slows and there isn't a cork big enough to jam in Catherine McKenna yip as she bleeds votes amongst moderates. This valley girl ditz actually believes that taxpayers subsidizing green energy will somehow create wealth by imposing yet another federal tax. She is breathtakingly stupid.

Trudeau's handlers Butts and Teleford also fear Jagmeet Singh...Thats why they haven't called a by election in burnaby for Jagmeet to get some time in the HoC. Singh for all his quirks is a pretty interesting guy. Hes smart and he's tough when he has to be... and he will bleed a lot of swing Liberal votes in Ontario in places like Brampton and Hamilton and in BC. If he can figure out what made Quebec vote for Jack Layton he can be a force next October.

Quebec is the wild card... Is there enough backlash on giving in on the dairly cartel in Nafta to hurt Liberal chances in Quebec... if there is... watch for the Tories to have enough to win a minority or possibly a majority government by taking seats in Quebec, the vote rich Ford supporting Ontario suburbs and the BC mainland.

The Red Star likes to kick at Doug Ford but he has an impressive machine at the grass roots and he hates Trudeau like Parisians hate tourists. Ford Nation will be knocking on doors in the GTA all spring and summer. Its on..
    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Thu Dec 20th, 2018 at 05:09 PM.

Page 755 of 769 FirstFirst ... 255 655 705 745 753 754 755 756 757 765 ... LastLast

Thread Information