Everything Climate Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RkdbSxyXftc

I know I know, lies and bullshit and corporate evil dudes just trying to kill the planet and get rich.
    Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
    Because its 2015

Comment

• Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RkdbSxyXftc

I know I know, lies and bullshit and corporate evil dudes just trying to kill the planet and get rich.
      Thanks for another introduction to another climate change denier. Painful that it has to be a Canadian and a GreenPeace co-founder (disputed) in addition. He doesn't say that he is no longer with the org. (proudly seems to emblazon the title) while dismissing and in fact working for orgs. & companies who are opposed to it's principles and work.

He is also shilling for PragerU which is a "brainchild" of the Denis Prager who wakes up each day to strains of "How lovely it is to be an arch conservative". All to say, if Prager is paying Moore for the vid...well just lets say...colour me suspicious. Isn't Denis a large fan of that other environmentalist, Donald T. ? Lol.

I could go on about the the contents of the vid but I am frankly tired about having to rebut the same tired pronouncements. So, I link a Politifact piece specifically about Moore's messaging on these points. Last sentence is most important.

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact...says-earth-ha/

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
        Thanks for another introduction to another climate change denier. Painful that it has to be a Canadian and a GreenPeace co-founder (disputed) in addition. He doesn't say that he is no longer with the org. (proudly seems to emblazon the title) while dismissing and in fact working for orgs. & companies who are opposed to it's principles and work.

He is also shilling for PragerU which is a "brainchild" of the Denis Prager who wakes up each day to strains of "How lovely it is to be an arch conservative". All to say, if Prager is paying Moore for the vid...well just lets say...colour me suspicious. Isn't Denis a large fan of that other environmentalist, Donald T. ? Lol.

I could go on about the the contents of the vid but I am frankly tired about having to rebut the same tired pronouncements. So, I link a Politifact piece specifically about Moore's messaging on these points. Last sentence is most important.

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact...says-earth-ha/
        I didn't think it was possible for anyone living in the Northern Hemisphere over the past 15 years, to say with a straight face, that the Earth isn't warming.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
          I didn't think it was possible for anyone living in the Northern Hemisphere over the past 15 years, to say with a straight face, that the Earth isn't warming.
          Careful with the term "warming" ... since Winter is on it's way, we wouldn't want to confuse some and have them go outside and get a snowball to demonstrate otherwise.

Comment

• Well, at least China get's it. Here's hoping the US follows suit once they see that China is getting a huge headstart on the economical windfall that will follow a Green revolution.

Xi said that China must “cherish our environment as we cherish our own lives.”
            “Any harm we inflict on nature will eventually return to haunt us… this is a reality we have to face,” Xi told the congress about an hour from the end, adding that China must “develop a new model of modernization with humans developing in harmony with nature.”
            Source

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
              Well, at least China get's it. Here's hoping the US follows suit once they see that China is getting a huge headstart on the economical windfall that will follow a Green revolution.
              What about the Chinese coal miners, though???

Comment

What about the Chinese coal miners, though???
                LOL For real .. but seriously, considering Chinese Green Energy companies have offered to train and employ American Coal Miners already, seems they've got it all figured out!

Comment

Mainstream criticism of people who deny climate change essentially portrays climate skeptics as being out of touch, ignorant or somehow incapable of understanding the facts about climate change.

However, an early look at ongoing work by a University of Kansas researcher examines alternative reasons for climate change denial, specifically economic, social or cultural influences on why individuals or entire communities remain skeptical of climate change.
                  https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0815095049.htm

I sense it is the "economic" reason mostly ailing the nae-sayers on this board at least.... and the potential impact on their individual finances. The latch onto deniers questioning the veracity of the scientific community who believe otherwise, is to camouflage their real concern...fear of higher taxes and frivolous spending to spur industry growth.

China is taking over the 21st century quest to be leaders in clean energy initiatives. The US with Trump's quest to promote coal based power generation is headed towards leading/promoting 19th century initiatives.

Comment

• I don't expect a massive uproar from Trump supporters over the EPA blocking 3 researchers from discussing Climate Change... But uproar over not being able to preach about White Surpremacy? Absolutely. Lol

https://www.yahoo.com/news/epa-abrup...035119192.html

Comment

• I’m not a climate change denier. I do however think it’s important to be skeptical because a lot of the information about climate change comes from government sponsored research. If these scientists didn’t find anything, they would lose their funding, jobs etc. So it’s important to keep in mind there MAY be a bit of a motive for some of these scientists. If they can get the public on their sides then they’ll have more job security. Again, I’m not a denier, I do think humans have a negative impact on the climate, but I think there aren’t many proposed solutions that would actually work, and I think the doomsday projections that people keep saying since Al Gore first did are not at all productive either.

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post
                        I’m not a climate change denier. I do however think it’s important to be skeptical because a lot of the information about climate change comes from government sponsored research. If these scientists didn’t find anything, they would lose their funding, jobs etc. So it’s important to keep in mind there MAY be a bit of a motive for some of these scientists. If they can get the public on their sides then they’ll have more job security. Again, I’m not a denier, I do think humans have a negative impact on the climate, but I think there aren’t many proposed solutions that would actually work, and I think the doomsday projections that people keep saying since Al Gore first did are not at all productive either.
                        Thats not how science or science funding works though..
                        The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                          I don't expect a massive uproar from Trump supporters over the EPA blocking 3 researchers from discussing Climate Change... But uproar over not being able to preach about White Surpremacy? Absolutely. Lol

https://www.yahoo.com/news/epa-abrup...035119192.html
                          And the larger issue of course of just free speech/First Amendment.

Cue up the arguments though that the scientists in question did not get permission from their bosses or it goes against the policy of the EPA. They have transferred scientists to the boonies to encourage them to resign.

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post
                            I’m not a climate change denier. I do however think it’s important to be skeptical because a lot of the information about climate change comes from government sponsored research. If these scientists didn’t find anything, they would lose their funding, jobs etc. So it’s important to keep in mind there MAY be a bit of a motive for some of these scientists. If they can get the public on their sides then they’ll have more job security. Again, I’m not a denier, I do think humans have a negative impact on the climate, but I think there aren’t many proposed solutions that would actually work, and I think the doomsday projections that people keep saying since Al Gore first did are not at all productive either.
                            enlightenment wrote: View Post
                            Thats not how science or science funding works though..
                            That's why there's a peer review process. Cuts out the BS.

The goal of science is basically to prove someone else's evidence to be wrong. It's self-correcting. That's why it's a rock solid method for learning about the world/universe.

Comment

• From my perspective as a grad student in genetics, there is a lot of emotional (and egotistical) reasons that scientists wish to see a certain result but you can't say funding depends on it. Tenured scientists for instance don't have to worry about job security.

Funding depends on the national research programs available, but in no way could publishing against the grain affect your ability to get the next grant. If anything, controversial, well done papers get talked a lot in other papers so that you can get a lot of citations for trying to break the paradigm. The only thing that is assured to affect your funding is inactivity. Publish or perish is the truth.
                              The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

• enlightenment wrote: View Post
                                From my perspective as a grad student in genetics, there is a lot of emotional (and egotistical) reasons that scientists wish to see a certain result but you can't say funding depends on it. Tenured scientists for instance don't have to worry about job security.

Funding depends on the national research programs available, but in no way could publishing against the grain affect your ability to get the next grant. If anything, controversial, well done papers get talked a lot in other papers so that you can get a lot of citations for trying to break the paradigm. The only thing that is assured to affect your funding is inactivity. Publish or perish is the truth.
                                But evolution is just a "theory!"

Comment

Working...
                                X