No announcement yet.

The "Panama Papers" Data Leak - Largest in Journalistic History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hillary might get indicted in the email scandal any day so this is the least of her worries. If her supporter don't care about that then they probably won't care about this.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
      Hillary might get indicted in the email scandal any day so this is the least of her worries. If her supporter don't care about that then they probably won't care about this.
      Oh dear...can we see the link of this bombshell info?

Comment

Trickle, trickle.

David Cameron intervened personally to prevent offshore trusts from being dragged into an EU-wide crackdown on tax avoidance, it has emerged.
        In a 2013 letter to the then president of the European council, Herman Van Rompuy, the prime minister said that trusts should not automatically be subject to the same transparency requirements as companies.

Analysis Where does David Cameron’s money come from?
        In the wake of Panama Papers disclosures, the prime minister has been fending off questions about his finances. Analysis shows his wealth is derived from a network of inherited wealth and family companies
        Read more
        The EU planned to shine a light on the dealings of offshore bodies by publishing a central register of their ultimate owners but, in a letter unearthed by the Financial Times that remains publicly available on the government’s website, Cameron said: “It is clearly important we recognise the important differences between companies and trusts … This means that the solution for addressing the potential misuse of companies – such as central public registries – may well not be appropriate generally.”

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...crackdown-2013
        Last edited by Bendit; Sun Apr 10, 2016, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
          Oh dear...can we see the link of this bombshell info?
          I think it's pretty clear based on a number articles that FBI has a lot of evidence wants the indictment. Look it up, I'm not going to do it for you.

Comment

I think it's pretty clear based on a number articles that FBI has a lot of evidence wants the indictment. Look it up, I'm not going to do it for you.
            So, you are opinionating? Ok.

I am normally on top of the political news...but I can miss something.

Most users typically provide published content backup to their assertions...without being asked.

Comment

I said might, the FBI has some barriers to cross and that's based on multiple articles and interviews from various people in the know. Google it, you'll find the articles and if you don't want to I'm fine with that.

Comment

I said might, the FBI has some barriers to cross and that's based on multiple articles and interviews from various people in the know. Google it, you'll find the articles and if you don't want to I'm fine with that.
                C'mon Apollo...that is an oft used trope (the one about Clinton/s being investigated etc etc).

If I might add I can find a lot of unsubstantiated reportage on this train of thought. This is not what I was looking for. I would prefer actual quotes attributed to people in positions of official authority confirming what you wrote. The "might" and "barriers" doesn't cut it when you are actually referring to someone who is leading as the nominee of a major political party...no matter what your personal opinion is of her. These are indictable offenses and this goes for any other person/item in the news including the stuff about the Panama papers and Cameron for example.

If we purport to relate "news" in our posts here or anywhere it should be supported with a credible news source which actually has quotable attribution on items being discussed... or else it is gossip and idle ying yang. You dont want to be taken un-seriously...do you?

Why dont you just wait until she gets indicted? ...if this is what you believe is going to happen. That way no one is confused.

I expect to be held to the same standards. Or state at the outset that what you are posting is your "opinion".

Comment

reports that "in law" is being censored in china now. i like the new strategy of pointing out how the democracies are seeing consequences as the people, who have the power and should, protest while the autocracies and dictatorships are censoring and claiming it is a plot by the west.

with all the "bad" countries having citizens all over the world there is no way they can lie this one away.

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                    reports that "in law" is being censored in china now. i like the new strategy of pointing out how the democracies are seeing consequences as the people, who have the power and should, protest while the autocracies and dictatorships are censoring and claiming it is a plot by the west.

with all the "bad" countries having citizens all over the world there is no way they can lie this one away.
                    And I thought Xi was going to be different! Damn...foiled again.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                      The Brits do protest well!
                      On May Day, employers tell their people not to wear business attire in to work as you can and will be assaulted. When I was there, a trader buddy was at the exchange and protestors came in with helium balloons with electronic whistles tied to them and released them into the air - apparently, it effectively shut down trading. Unfortunately, pissing off hundreds of amped up traders fighting for their livelihoods was not a good idea. The police had to intervene to save the protestors. My buddy said they lined a few of them up against a wall and a dozen guys took turns making sure none of them would have little protestors any time soon before the cops pulled them off. Oddly, there was no protest inside the exchange the next year.

Europeans don't mess around with the protests and counter-protests. It's not like over here. People get fucked up.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                        On May Day, employers tell their people not to wear business attire in to work as you can and will be assaulted. When I was there, a trader buddy was at the exchange and protestors came in with helium balloons with electronic whistles tied to them and released them into the air - apparently, it effectively shut down trading. Unfortunately, pissing off hundreds of amped up traders fighting for their livelihoods was not a good idea. The police had to intervene to save the protestors. My buddy said they lined a few of them up against a wall and a dozen guys took turns making sure none of them would have little protestors any time soon before the cops pulled them off. Oddly, there was no protest inside the exchange the next year.

Europeans don't mess around with the protests and counter-protests. It's not like over here. People get fucked up.
                        To be clear my comment was more reflective of the pics in the preceeding post. I am not into anarchist demonstrations of violent mindlessness. Not knowing the actual details of course but going by your description of the LSE event... that comes across as a schoolboy prank. But I take your point about a physical disruption of anyone's workplace. Isnt everything electronic on the floor now....no pits or vocal/sign transacting?

The comment is also inclusive of the storied history of protest in Britain by the disadvantaged (real or perceived). It's a long one. I believe the suffrage movement and very large anti Iraq war demonstrations are just a couple of examples. Yes, these can get out of hand sometimes but rather an overt show of protest than covert...imo. It's an open and adversarial system...expect it...we'll just have to live with Miss Piggy balloons.
                        Last edited by Bendit; Mon Apr 11, 2016, 04:53 PM.

Comment

We lost a very brave journalist today.

Journalist who exposed Malta's link in the Panama Papers has been assassinated. (Car bomb)

Comment

Galizia's last blog post. Jeez. 30 mins before a car bomb killed her.

Comment

Working...
                            X