The "Panama Papers" Data Leak - Largest in Journalistic History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rocwell wrote: View Post
    Well, at least Cameron is being honest about it. He pledged to release his tax returns too.. will see, but seems like he's doing well when it comes to controlling the damage.. If Cameron is telling the truth that he received no money from those shares.. then it's all good. It's not like he has done anything illegal or morally unacceptable.
    I was referring to this..

“David Cameron, who described the use of complex tax avoidance schemes as ‘morally wrong,’ has been forced to admit that he held shares in a fund now linked to tax avoidance,” said Tom Watson, the deputy leader of Britain’s opposition Labour Party.
    This is of course the statement/allegation by the political opposition. So I understand there will have to be accounting forensics done but if a pm says publicly he is against such instruments and then found to be using them without revealing it I have a problem with such evasion. He is the PM and should be held to a higher standard. Big question...how much did he really know about his father's Virgin Is. setup...and when?

Like I mentioned in another post, these processes maybe legal but its clearly tax avoidance that is not available to the ordinary 9-5 slogger in GB. This is what pisses people off...the fucking class system...and this has always been a problem in Britain...it's like they invented it I think.

Apologies, I am a bit riled up.

Comment

Apparently David Cameron failed to declare offshore shares during 2010 General Election campaign. Why? That John Mann MP guy is onto something.

Last edited by rocwell; Fri Apr 8, 2016, 12:07 AM.

Comment

I received an interesting email last night:

The news this week has been filled with the so called "Panama Papers" which have resulted in the resignation of at least one world leader, the Icelandic Prime Minister, and have caused controversy to surround others including Russian President Putin and British prime minister Cameron.

The data involved was taken from a Panamanian Law Firm called Mossack Fonseca (MF) by a hacker and reveals secret financial structures used by the powerful and wealthy to hide their assets around the world.

We performed an analysis of MF's network and it seems that the breach may have been caused by an outdated WordPress plugin: Revolution Slider. It turns out that not updating your WordPress plugins may result in the fall of world leaders and the largest data breach to journalists in history.

Full details on our blog...

Regards,

Mark Maunder
        Wordfence Founder & CEO
        Everyone who used that plugin received this email.

Comment

I received an interesting email last night:

Everyone who used that plugin received this email.
          I hope RR (Joey?) is not managing secret hedge funds when he isnt moderating

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
            I hope RR (Joey?) is not managing secret hedge funds when he isnt moderating
            You never know. Joey led us to longest winning streak in Toronto so you never know. He must have connections.

Comment

England:

Comment

i think cameron offered everything to be audited. the icelandic president was probably guilty, the way he quit quick.

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                  i think cameron offered everything to be audited. the icelandic president was probably guilty, the way he quit quick.
                  I think Cameron is clean as he can get. lol. He even paid a tax on an asset sale so he should be fine, too bad very cynical and dirty journalism + opposition are making him pay for his father's actions.

Comment

I think Cameron is clean as he can get. lol. He even paid a tax on an asset sale so he should be fine, too bad very cynical and dirty journalism + opposition are making him pay for his father's actions.
                    lol

Comment

The Brits do protest well! I wouldn't quite exonerate Cameron just yet. As I understand it the trust funds still exist and their investments are unknown. We all know that one of the prime reasons these offshore accounts exist is secrecy and money laundering and of course tax avoidance (they pay no taxes locally eg. in Panama). If one is not using it to dump their dirty money their account/fund managers could be mixing good with dirty money (at a price of course) to improve the returns...no different trying to pass stolen jewels/art to a fence for cents on the dollar. A wink & a nod arrangement. Imagine trying to follow the money transactions. Is auditing performed in Panama?

Haven't heard from the Pakistan pm yet.

And then there is the holier than thou pronouncements made by many a pol...

"The comedian Jimmy Carr compounded Cameron’s woes with a dig at the prime minister, via a tweet on Friday afternoon. In 2012 Cameron publicly criticised Carr for using a Jersey-based offshore scheme, describing it as “frankly and morally wrong”."

There is a tweet from Jimmy C. (which I cannot copy) here....

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...is-tax-affairs

Comment

Addressing the Conservative Party Spring Forum, Cameron admitted that "it had not been a great week" following the alleged reports of his father's offshore tax fund, adding, "I know that I should have handled this better, I could have handled this better."

On Thursday, 7 April, the PM said he had sold his shares before he entered Number 10 and had paid all UK taxes due on profits from the £30,000 sale.

According to the BBC, Cameron said in his speech: "I know there are lessons to learn and I will learn them. Don't blame Number 10 Downing Street or nameless advisers, blame me.

"I was obviously very angry about what people were saying about my dad. I loved my dad, I miss him every day," he followed. "

"He was a wonderful father and I'm very proud of everything he did. But I mustn't let that cloud the picture. The facts are these: I bought shares in a unit trust, shares that are like any other sorts of shares and I paid taxes on them in exactly the same way.

"I sold those shares. In fact, I sold all the shares that I owned, on becoming prime minister. "And later on I will be publishing the information that goes into my tax return, not just for this year but the years gone past because I want to be completely open and transparent about these things.

"I will be the first prime minister, the first leader of a major political party, to do that and I think it is the right thing to do."
                        One more thing.. David Cameron promised to publish his tax returns in 2012 too.. but it never happened.

Comment

One more thing.. David Cameron promised to publish his tax returns in 2012 too.. but it never happened.
                          Wish they found smarmy Tony's name (Blair) in the papers. Cannot stomach how he handled the Iraq fiasco.

Here is an interesting take on who was behind the leak and the reason/s why. Wouldn't have paid much attention except for the source...the Brookings Inst. site...

http://www.brookings.edu/blogs/order...rs-putin-gaddy

Comment

David Cameron has published his tax returns, and it looks like he's facing new questions now

Now David Cameron faces questions over £200k gift from his mother
                            Unprecedented release of prime minister’s personal tax details reveal 2011 payments to help him avoid inheritance duties

Link: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...ns-gift-mother

Comment

Clinton just got named..... preliminary.

NONE of Clintons media agencies will report on it. CNN, FOX, NYtimes, Washington Post...all silent.

What a joke.

Comment

Superjudge wrote: View Post
                                Clinton just got named..... preliminary.

NONE of Clintons media agencies will report on it. CNN, FOX, NYtimes, Washington Post...all silent.

What a joke.
                                Fox is a Clinton media agency?
                                If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Working...
                                X