The Golf Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Golf Thread

Kind of surprised we don't already have one of these, but are there any golfers out there? Or anyone who follows Golf?

The Masters have been fantastic this weekend, and I'm just witnessing an incredible Quadruple Bogey by Spieth, going from 1st to 4th in no time ... crazy. The pressure on Sundays has gotta be unlike anything else in Sports.

Never really liked Spieth, so I'm okay with this. He's no Tiger... I miss Tiger.

..unlike anything else in SPORTS.

Comment

I miss Tiger too, but I love seeing any golfer that can dominate. Speith really blew it on that 12th... and then missing the birdie on 17 killed him too.

Comment

That was a good tournament. Amazing how many Brit players got onto the leader board.

Tiger who? There is something "funny" about him. He started out as a savant with a driving father...and then grew up as a seeming maladjusted adult banging cocktail waitresses like he missed out on his adolescence. Too bad.

Comment

I play. I actually worked on a golf course in my high school days and had all the free golf I could fit in. Many years later family kind of gets in the way for me now but I plan on teaching my daughter when she gets a little older if she's interested in the sport. I'll pull heavily from the best golf book I ever read:

Best book on mechanics I've read.

Oh and one more book:

Because after you understand mechanics all that's in your way to really good rounds your own ego and lack of attention to the details.

I don't enjoy watching PGA golf though. I used to watch it as a kid with my old man but I find it too boring now. I'd rather be actually playing it or doing anything for that matter than watching it for four days or even the final round on Sunday. Between the Raptors and the Packers I don't have any time I'd want to allocate to it honestly; that's enough TV for me right there most weeks.
          Last edited by Apollo; Mon Apr 11, 2016, 02:00 PM. Reason: .

Comment

Dont tell that to Dechambeau, he's busy pissing off everyone in the Golf industry right now, using the equivalent to the Satanic Bible to hone his game. I love it!!!!

Comment

Maybe I'll give that a look some day. Between the above two and Jack Nicklaus' "Golf My Way" I didn't think I'd ever need to read another book on mechanics or strategy ever again. Hogan, Nicklaus and Watson all gave me a different set of tools for approaching the game. Now if only I ever had time to play on weekends anymore...

Comment

Superjudge wrote: View Post
                Dont tell that to Dechambeau, he's busy pissing off everyone in the Golf industry right now, using the equivalent to the Satanic Bible to hone his game. I love it!!!!

Man, that guys got a funny stance and swing, doesn't he?

Pretty sure all of this Irons are the same length as well (equivalent to a 6 or 7 Iron).

Comment

I love my 4 iron on windy days or if my timing is a little off with my woods. It would mess with my game if I was playing my 4 iron with a 7 iron shaft. That's potentially some serious yardage I'd be giving up off the tee or on long approach shots.

Comment

Quick little read on it ...

BBC.com wrote:
                    An intrigued Rory McIlroy peered into the bag of a potential rival for the Abu Dhabi title last week and marvelled at the unique set of clubs.

The four times major champion wasn't alone - other big names, including Ernie Els, peppered the clubs' owner with questions. Never mind that Bryson DeChambeau is more than half Els' age, the big South African wanted to learn from the young amateur.

Throughout the bag, each iron is 37 and a half inches long, whether it is a three-iron or a wedge. He wields them with the same upright swing, wrapping his palms around chunky grips rather than using his fingers to hold the club.

"They're all the same length," DeChambeau told BBC Sport. "Same lie angle, same shaft, just different loft. Same bounce configuration as well on each and every one of them.

"But it's four degrees of loft difference between them and it works pretty well. It helps me keep my same posture, same set-up, same everything, and allows me to perform quite nicely with my irons."

The idea came from a book called 'The Golfing Machine', self-published by Homer Kelly, a Seattle aircraft mechanic, in 1969.

"We thought there has to be a better way to play golf," he told me.

"It's a long story, but to keep it short I pretty much chose this variation of the golfing machine where it allowed me to swing on the same plane.

"And when I did that, I realised I couldn't do it with a wedge and a three iron because it would mean changing body motions. That doesn't make sense, so I said why don't we make them all the same lie and angle and the same length?

Source
                    Would be super weird for sure, but I wonder if he's on to something, with the whole idea of maintaining ONE swing throughout the length of each hole, regardless of where you lie.

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
                      Never really liked Spieth, so I'm okay with this. He's no Tiger... I miss Tiger.
                      Ummm ... So how about Tiger Tiger Woods y'all? Is he actually back?? 4-Under already on the day today, 10-under for the weekend, and only 4 back of the lead.

This tournament has 13 of the Top-25 players in the World, and Tiger (ranked like 900?) looks like he's in his element.

Comment

Waited a LONG time for this post ...

Watching Woods walk up on 18 through that SEA of people was amazing. Never seen anything like that.

Win #80. Knew he'd get it.

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
                          Waited a LONG time for this post ...

Watching Woods walk up on 18 through that SEA of people was amazing. Never seen anything like that.

Win #80. Knew he'd get it.
                          Yep.. I never thought he would get another win...

The tour has to be pretty happy their number one draw is back on track...
                          There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                          - TGO

Comment

I love it

Comment

This is why they won ... no fighting over girl friends... haha.

https://twitter.com/RyderCupEurope/s...liwood-star%2F

Comment

Working...
                              X